Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

six

The next couple of months flew by as I started getting ready to go back to school in January. Marc and Brandon were busy with hockey, too. Before we knew it, Christmas was a week away.

"Brylyn," Marc whined, "please come with me."

"Why would I come to Thunder Bay with you?" I asked. "Am I not allowed to spend Christmas with my family?"

Marc shook his head, "You and I both know you won't go home for Christmas. You've told a dozen times how you hate going home and how you haven't been there for Christmas in years. My mom would love you, and Jordan wants to see you again. I think he might be bringing one of his teammates too. Please come."

"Fine," I mumbled as Marc engulfed me into a hug.

"I'm going to tell Mom right now," Marc said as he walked in the direction of his bedroom.

"What's with you two?" Brandon asked causing me to jump.

"Gosh Brandon, you scared me," I said with my hand over my heart. "What do you mean what's with us?"

"Are you two together?" Brandon asked.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Nope, not even close. We are just friends."

"Oh," Brandon nodded before walking to his bedroom.

A few minutes later, Marc came out of his room and looked at me. "We are leaving on the 23rd."

I just nodded as I continued to work on getting a ham ready for supper. "J'ai besoin de beurre." I muttered to myself.

"What's that?" Marc asked walking to the sink to get some water.

I looked at him with a confused look, "what's what? This is a ham, but I assumed you knew that."

"No, what did you say?" Marc asked with a laugh.

"Oh," I said, trying to remember what I said. "I need butter. Sorry, I like to mumble in french sometimes. If you make me mad, I yell in french too."

"I see," Marc said with a nod. He finished off his water and left me to finish supper.

~~~~~

Before I knew it, it was December 23rd. I was at the airport with Marc, waiting to fly to Thunder Bay, Ontario.

"What's it like there?" I asked. Although I had lived in Canada for most of my life, I had never been to Ontario. I had visited every other province and territory, but never got a chance to visit Ontario.

"You'll love it," Marc assured me. "It's a small city, and it is probably cold there right now."

"I love the cold," I replied with a smile.

"Come again?" Marc looked at me like I was insane. "Did you say that you love the cold? Aren't you from Raleigh? It doesn't get that cold down there."

"I really do love the cold," I laughed. "And no I'm not from Raleigh. I'm from a little place called Maple Creek. It's in Saskatchewan."

"Oh," Marc turned red, "I guess I never asked you where you were from. I just assumed you were from Raleigh because that's where Eric is."

I shook my head laughing.

A few hours later we landed in Thunder Bay. Marc pulled me towards a nice looking couple, who I guessed were his parents.

"Mom, Dad!" Marc smiled. "This is the roommate I told you about. Her name is Brylyn Macabbey. She's going to be a cook." He sounded like a little kid.

I laughed as I received a hug from his parents. "It's nice to meet you." I smiled.