Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

sixty-four

"Mom, it's just for a couple of weeks," I heard Max say as I woke up. "She didn't ask me to stay. I offered." There was a pause. "I don't want her staying in New York alone. Do you know how many creepy people there are in this city?"

I rolled my eyes and got out of bed, pulling my hair in a ponytail before heading to the kitchen.

"Mom, just calm down, I'm not taking time away from seeing you. I'm just staying for a couple of weeks until Brandon gets back. Then I am coming home and staying a couple of weeks longer than I usually do." Max said. I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Hey," he whispered to me.

I could hear his mother talking to him about something.

"Look, Mom, Brylyn just got up," Max said into his phone. "I'm going to take her out for breakfast to celebrate her birthday." He paused. "No, it's not. I don't know when her birthday is." He looked at me with and annoyed look. "She won't tell me. It's not a big deal. I'll talk to you later, bye." Max hung up his phone and turned to me, giving me a hug and a kiss. "Sorry if I woke you."

"You didn't," I shook my head. "Is everything ok with your mother?"

"Yea," Max nodded. "She's just peeved that I'm not coming home right away. I'm not too worried about it."

"Ok," I said, walking to the coffee pot to start some coffee.

"Wait, I'm taking you out for breakfast," Max said. "Go get ready, we are leaving in ten minutes."

"Ok," I smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek before returning to the bedroom. As I found a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt, I heard Max's phone ring.

"Mom, I told you I can't talk right now," Max said. "So what? I don't care that she hasn't told me. She will tell me when she is ready to. Now, I have to go. I'll call you tonight, ok?"

I walked back out to the kitchen to find Max hanging up his phone again. "It's bothering her, isn't it?" I asked.

"What?" Max turned around to look at me.

"That I won't tell you when my birthday is and the fact that you are spending the first part of your vacation here with me," I stated.

"Yes," Max nodded. "She'll understand eventually. Besides, I think I'm old enough to take care of myself."

"This is the time that I am supposed to offer advice," I said. "But I have none."

"Thanks," Max smiled, pulling me into him. "Are you ready to go?"

"I am," I nodded.

We left, locking the door behind us. Max lead me down the street, telling me that we would walk around until we found a good place.

"July 30th," I said, as we walked down a street.

"What about it?" Max asked.

"That's my birthday," I said.

"Oh," Max said, thoughtfully. "Why does that seem familiar."

"I don't know," I shrugged. "But no parties or anything."

"I can't make any promises," Max smirked. "Once Staalsy finds out, it will be out of my hands."

"Fine," I grumbled, as we walked up to a restaurant. "Just make sure it's nothing crazy."
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry they kind of suck, I have an idea, but I have to lead up to it a bit