Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

seventy-four

"Hello?" I answered my phone. Max was driving to Jordan's, where we were having Christmas supper with some of the guys.

"Hey, babe," a male voice said. "Merry Christmas."

"Uh, thanks, and same to you," I replied. I frowned a little, trying to figure out who I was talking to.

"When are you coming to visit again?" the man asked.

"If I knew who you were, I'd tell you," I rolled my eyes and glanced at Max, who was giving me a weird look. I gave him a small smile.

"You don't know who I am?" the man asked. His voice sounded a little hurt. "It's Sean."

"Sean?" I frowned.

"That's what I said," he said. I could almost hear him smirk.

"I don't know anyone named Sean," I said, thinking about it. "I don't think."

"Sure you do," Sean said. "We've met a couple of times. You were staying with Staal."

"Oh," I thought about who I had met while living in New York. Suddenly it dawned on me who was on the other end. "How did you get my number?"

"Easy," Sean said. I could hear the smile on his face. "Dubinsky isn't the brightest pumpkin. He left his phone on the bench in his stall instead of in his bag."

"Let me guess, you took his phone and took my number," my voice was getting sour.

"Wow, you're brighter than I thought," Sean said. "So when are you coming back to see me?"

"Never," I growled. "After the way you treated me, why on earth would I want to visit you?"

"Aw, come on, babe," Sean whined. "I've changed."

"No, you were a dick then and you are still a dick now," I shook my head. "There is no way on this earth that I would ever visit someone like you."

"Oh, is that right?" Sean asked. "What makes you so much better than me?"

"Let me think," I said. "For starters, I don't insult other people's height and strength. I don't hit on people after they tell me that they are taken."

"Anything else?" Sean asked. "Cause I'd really like to know all of your thoughts about me."

"Really? All of them?" I questioned. My temperature was rising due to the fact Sean was getting on my nerves.

"Sure, I've got time," Sean said. I assumed he was shrugging his shoulders. "I'd like to know what you know about me and what you assume I'm like."

"Which one first?" I snarled. Max looked at me with worried eyes as he put the car in park. "What I know or what I assume?"

"Why don't you enlighten me?" Sean suggested. "Tell me what you know."

"I know that you are like ten years older than me," I started. I got out of the car and followed Max to Jordan's apartment."I know that you used to steal your babysitters dolls. I know that you are probably the most screwed up hockey player on the face of the earth."

"And why is that?" Sean asked.

"Let me think, the biggest instigator in hockey decides he loves fashion and used to steal dolls," I said. I waved to the boys that were sitting in the living room. "Something about that sentence sounds a little messed up."

"I'm just a real man," Sean said.

"I doubt it," I rolled my eyes. "Now, I have to go, I'm busy. Please delete my number and never call me again." I shut my phone before he could reply.

"Who was that?" Max asked.

"Avery," I shrugged.

"Like Sean Avery?" Jordan asked, frowning.

"Yes," I nodded.

"You gave him your number?" Geno asked.

"Even if he was the last man on earth, I wouldn't give him my number," I said. My phone started to ring again. I looked at the caller id and noticed that it was Sean Avery's number. "Him again," I mumbled. "Does he not understand?" I wasn't really talking to anyone.

Just as I was about to press the end button, Max snatched the phone from my hand and pressed talk. "Avery," Max growled. "Stay the fuck away from Brylyn and stop calling or I will personally come to New York and destroy your phone." With that Max hung up my phone and handed it to me. "Let's eat," Max suggested.

"Ok," I smiled, getting up from my seat and walking to the kitchen to set out some plates.