Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

seventy-nine

When we got back home, Kris was sitting on the steps, waiting for us to arrive.

"Hey, Letang," I said as I got out of Max's BMW. "What's up?"

"Not much," Kris said. "Do you have to work tonight?"

"Nope," I shook my head. "I don't work until Monday."

"You know, I like this job better," Kris smiled.

"Why is that?" I said in a sarcastic tone.

"You don't work as much, meaning you get to come out more often," Kris told me.

"I figured," I said, shaking my head. "So what's going on tonight?"

"The boys want to go for a supper and then to a club," Kris informed Max and I. "Since there is no game or practice tomorrow."

"Ok," I nodded. "Where are we going?"

"Not sure," Kris shrugged. "But the guys said suits and dresses."

"Great," I muttered.

"It'll be great," Max said, wrapping an arm around my waist. "We can use this as a celebration."

"True," I said after a few seconds of thinking about it.

"Celebration for what?" Kris asked, confusion written on his face.

"For Brylyn saying yes," Max smiled.

"Yes?" Kris said, obviously still confused.

I held up my hand to show him the ring on my left hand.

"That's a great ring," Kris said. "Where did you get-" He stopped talking and looked at his hands. He was making L's with his forefingers and his thumbs. "Holy shit," he breathed, looking at Max and I and then at the ring again. "No way."

"Uh, yes way?" I frowned.

"You proposed?" Kris asked Max.

"Yes," Max nodded.

"Congratulations!" Kris yelled, pulling me into a huge hug.

I squirmed a bit, causing Kris to let go. He held me at arms length and looked at me with a giant grin on his face.

"You can let go of me," I told him.

"Right, sorry," Kris said, letting go. He turned to Max. "Way to go, man."

"Thanks," Max smiled. It seemed like the smile was permanently placed on his face because he hadn't stopped smiling since I had said yes.

"I can't wait until tonight," Kris said, excitedly. "I can't wait to see every one else's expressions."

"You're not going to tell them, are you?" I asked Kris.

"No, that's your job," Kris shook his head.

"You seem excited enough to tell the entire universe," I chuckled.

"I just can't wait to hear about how Max proposed," Kris said. "He definitely didn't tell anyone on the team that he planned on proposing, let alone how he was going to do it."

"How about we leave that story for tonight?" Max suggested. "That way we don't have to tell it twenty times."

"Deal," Kris nodded. "Look, I'll see you tonight. Seven o'clock, I'll pick you two up."

"Ok, see you later, Letang." I gave him a quick hug before he left.

"He seemed happy for us," I said, watching him pull away.

"He sure did," Max agreed. "Let's go in and get you ready for tonight."

"Ok," I smiled up at my new fiancee.