Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

eighty

"Are you going to tell your parents?" Max asked as I searched through my clothes to find a dress to wear.

"Of course," I nodded, pulling out a black dress. "How's this?" I held it up so that Max could see it.

"Perfect," Max smiled. "I bet you'll look sexy."

"Thanks," I chuckled. "Have you told your parents?"

"Not yet," Max shook his head. "I was thinking, maybe I'd call them tomorrow."

"Ok, do you want to call my parents right now?" I asked.

"Sure," Max shrugged, grabbing my phone off the night stand. He found their number and put it on speakerphone. "You're telling them," he said as it started to ring.

"Ok," I smiled.

"Hello?" my mom's voice came through the phone.

"Hey, Mom," I said. "How are you?"

"I'm well, Brylyn," she replied. "How are you?"

"I'm excellent," I grinned.

"Oh, how come?" my mom sounded surprised.

"Well, you remember Max, right?" I asked.

"Yes, of course," she said. "He met us when we told you about the adoption,right?"

"That's him," I nodded.

"So, what about Max?" she asked. "You two were dating, correct?"

"Yes we were," I said.

"Did you two break-up?" I heard my dad ask. "I'll gladly come kick his ass."

"No, we didn't break-up," I chuckled. "He proposed today."

"Oh, sweetheart, that's wonderful!" my mom screeched. "You said yes, I hope."

"Yes, Mom, I said yes," I laughed. I looked at Max, who was trying to hold back his laughter.

"When is the wedding?" my mom asked.

"Barb, honey, they just got engaged," my dad said. "Give them time to think."

"Right, sorry," my mom muttered. "Thanks for calling sweetheart. Congratulations."

"Thanks, Mom," I smiled.

"And tell Max, congrats," my dad added.

"I will," I told him. "Look, I've got to go. We are going out with the guys tonight, so I have to get ready."

"Ok, Brylyn, we love you," my mom said.

"Love you too," I said, hanging up the phone. I turned to Max, who burst out laughing.

"I love your parents," Max said, between laughs.

"I'm glad," I said, leaning in to give him a kiss. "Are you sure you don't want to call your parents?"

"I'm sure," Max nodded. "I don't want something to happen that will ruin the night."

I frowned a bit at what he said, but shrugged it off. I grabbed a towel and went to the bathroom to shower.

Ten minutes later, I was doing my hair at the bathroom sink, while Max showered. "Hair down or up?" I thought out loud.

"Down," Max said, from the shower.

I looked at the shower curtain. "Uh, ok," I said.

"I like your curls," Max said. "The best way to show them off is by leaving them down."

"Ok, thanks," I smiled and shook my head. I put some mousse in my hair and left it to air dry. I went to the bedroom and slipped into the dress I chose. I just finished zipping up the zipper, when Max walked into the bedroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. I couldn't help but stare at his abs.

"Do you like what you see?" Max asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You know I do," I smirked.

"That's too bad," Max said.

"Why is that?" I asked, walking across the hall to the bathroom.

"Kris said I have to wear a suit, which means covering up my abs," Max explained.

"Fudge bucket," I said. I pulled out my mascara and started applying it.

"What was that?" Max asked, coming to the doorway, holding his shirt. He was now wearing his black dress pants.

"This?" I asked, holding up the mascara. "It's mascara. I thought you knew that."

"Haha," Max rolled his eyes. "What did you say?"

"Uh," I cocked my head and looked in the mirror. "I think it was fudge bucket."

"You are so strange," Max chuckled, pulling his white button down shirt on.

"But you love me," I said, turning to look at him.

"That I do," he chuckled, grabbing my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"What time is it?" I asked.

Max glanced at his watch. "Ten to seven," he told me.

"Kris will be here soon," I stated.

"That's true," Max nodded.

We stood there for a few minutes, just holding each other. Then there was a knock at the door. I sighed and let go of Max so he could finish getting ready. As I started to walk away, Max grabbed my waist and pulled me into him again.

"By the way, you look stunning," Max whispered.

I looked up at him and smiled before giving him a quick kiss and leaving to let Kris in.