Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

eighty-two

The next morning, I rolled over to wake Max, only to notice that he wasn't there. So I rolled out of bed and changed into a pair of basketball shorts and one of Max's Penguins shirts. I decided to go to the kitchen to make some coffee.

"Good morning," Max said, before I got a chance to make it to the bedroom door.

"Morning," I smiled, looking over at him. He had a towel wrapped around his waist and his hair was dripping wet. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Oui," Max nodded, grabbing some clothes and starting to get dressed.

"I'll be in the kitchen," I said before leaving the room.

Just as I finished making coffee, Max came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Are you going to call your parents?" I asked him, leaning my back against his now covered chest.

"I will," Max said in a tone that made me feel like there was more to it.

"But," I pushed, turning around in his arms.

"But, I don't think you should be around to here what they have to say," Max admitted.

"Max," I started, but he held up his hand.

"If it was just my dad, I'd let you listen," Max told me. "But, my mom's been weird about me dating you and she almost always pretends not to know who you are. The last thing you need to hear is her load of bullshit."

I was about to argue, when a knock came from the door. I looked at Max to see if he was expecting someone. The confused look on his face told me he was as clueless as I was.

I started pouring Max and myself coffee, while he went to grab the door.

"Uh, Mom, Dad, what are you doing here?" I heard Max say.

I grabbed a couple extra mugs and poured some coffee for Max's parents.

"What the fuck?" Max mumbled, walking into the kitchen again.

"Your parents are here?" I raised an eyebrow.

Max looked at me with an apologetic look. "I had no idea they were coming."

"Don't worry about," I smiled. "Help me bring some coffee out to them."

Max grabbed two coffee cups and lead the way to the living room, where his parents sat.

"Mrs. Talbot," I smiled, handing her a cup before offering her husband one. "Mr. Talbot. How are you two doing?"

"Fine, thank-you," Mr. Talbot smiled. "How are you, Brylyn?"

"I'm well," I said. I went to stand beside Max, who handed me a cup of coffee.

"Why are you here?" Max asked, looking at his father.

"Your mother wanted to surprise you," Mr. Talbot said, his face held the same apologetic look Max's did earlier.

"Well, we are surprised," Max said, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Who is this?" his mother asked, looking at me.

"This is Brylyn," Max said. "You've met her before, Mom."

"Oh, yes," she nodded, sipping her coffee. "What's new, Maxime? You haven't called in awhile."

"I'm getting married," Max said.

Mrs. Talbot nearly spit out her coffee and Mr. Talbot's lips curled into a huge smile.

"Congratulations, Max," his father said, standing up to give his son a hug. "And you too, Brylyn."

"Merci," I smiled.

"Thanks, Dad," Max said.

"Maxime, don't you think it's a bit early?" his mom asked. "You're still young."

"Mom, I'm twenty-nine," Max said. "Besides, I'm ready to settle down. Brylyn and I have been together nearly two years. By the time we actually get married, it will be close to three. I am completely, 100 percent, in love with Brylyn and she is the only girl I want to be with for the rest of my life. Nothing you can say will change that."

"Max!" I said, giving him a look. I was shocked by what he said to his mother.

"Max has a point, dear," Mr. Talbot said. "Besides, he's more than old enough to make his own decisions. If he's happy with Brylyn, who are you to tell him he can't marry her?"

"I'm his mother!," she snapped.

"And as my mother, you are supposed to support my decisions," Max said. "Not criticize them. Please, Mom, just be happy for Brylyn and me."

"I think I have overstayed my welcome," Mrs. Talbot said, getting up and making her way to the door.

"I'll give you a call tonight, Max," Mr. Talbot said before following his wife out the door.

I stood there, completely shocked by what had just happened.

"I'm so sorry," Max said, turning to me.

"What the hell just happened?" I mumbled, staring at Max.