Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

eighty-three

"I don't get it, Vero. It was like she purposely tried to forget who I was." Vero and I were currently sitting in a small cafe. I had just told her about what happened at Max's earlier that day. "I seriously felt like I was an intruder."

"It will be ok," Vero comforted. "I'm sure she's just testing you or something."

"I don't think so," I shook my head. "Max said that lately she's been doing the same thing when he talks to her on the phone."

"Really?" Vero looked at me, shocked.

"You remember when his mom called for his birthday, right?" I asked.

"Yea, it was kind of awkward," Vero said.

"Well, I got to experience that first hand," I told her. I took a sip of my green tea latte. "His dad was great about the engagement. He was genuinely happy. I wish Max's mom could have at least pretended to be happy."

"You'd rather her fake being happy than not be happy at all?" Vero gave me a questioning look.

"I would," I nodded. "Her reaction today was like being stabbed in the gut. Truthfully, I can't think of anything I did that would make her hate me."

"I'm sure she doesn't hate you," Vero said.

"You didn't hear the tone of voice she used when she said she remembered me," I said. "Max keeps telling me that she will come around and she will be happy for us, but I don't know."

"I'm not going to lie, but I'm glad Marc's parents love me," Vero said.

"Thanks, Vero," I chuckled. "That makes me feel great."

"That's what I'm here for," she smiled. "Hey, how about I kick Marc out of the house tonight. You can come over and we can have a girls night. We can watch chick flicks and eat brownies and ice cream."

"You know, that sounds like a great plan," I said. "I could use a girls night."

"I'll call Marc then," Vero said, pulling out her phone.

"I'll let Max know I'm not coming home," I said, pulling out my own phone. I dialed his number and put the phone to my ear. Three rings later, Max answered.

"Hey."

"Hey, love," I said. "What's up?"

"Not too much," Max said. "My parents called and are on their way over."

"Oh," I said, looking down at the table. "Should I be there?"

"No, no, it's ok," Max said. "You continue having coffee with Vero. I can handle my parents."

"Ok," I nodded.

"So, was there a reason you called?" Max asked.

"Oh, yea," I said. "Vero is kicking Marc out of the house for the night and she and I are having a girls night. So, I won't be home tonight."

"Oh, really?" Max chuckled. "Where's Marc going to stay?"

"Uh, with you?" I suggested. I glanced at Vero, who was in a deep conversation with Marc-Andre.

"If he has no where else to go, then sure," Max agreed. I heard a doorbell in the background. "Look, babe, I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you."

"I love you, too, Max," I said. "Bye." I hung up my phone and looked at Vero, who was hanging up her own phone. "So?"

"Well, he tried to argue because he said he had no where to go," Vero said. "I told him to go stay at your place, since Max would be alone anyway."

"Good," I said. "I told Max that Marc-Andre would be staying there."

"Great minds think alike," Vero smiled.