Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

eighty-six

"Hey two plus two is always four and down is south and up is north. Thirty-two degrees is freezing cold. You play with fire you wind up burned. The early-bird gets the worm. But the only thing you really need to know is: the drinkin' bone's connected to the party bone. The party bone's connected to the stayin' out all night long and she won't think it's funny and I'll wind up all alone. And the lonely bone's connected to the drinkin' bone" I sang, loudly.

It had been two hours since Max left for practice and I had been singing and dancing around the kitchen as I did some baking. I had sent Max a text telling him that I was cooking supper and that he should invite people over. I wanted a lot of opinions and suggestions on what I should put on the menu for my cafe, once it was built.

The kitchen was filled with all kinds of baking, from cookies to cupcakes, creme brulee to cream puffs. The oven held two large pans of lasagna and a couple loaves of garlic bread.

I was making a caesar salad with my back to the kitchen door, still singing loudly, when I felt someone place their hands in front of my eyes. I pulled my earphones out of my ears and turned around before being engulfed into a huge hug.

"Brylyn! It's been ages!" a male voice said, excitedly.

As my body tensed, I looked up at the boy. "Good to see you, too, TK. Want to let me go?"

"Oops, yea," Tyler let go and took a step back. "What have you been up to? I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"I haven't been doing much, just working and cleaning up after Max," I shrugged, turning back to my salad.

"Very cool," Tyler smiled. "Max said that you two are engaged, congrats."

"Thanks," I said. "It's still new to me though. Calling him my fiancee and all that. It's been a month and I still have to remind myself that he isn't just my boyfriend."

"You'll get used to it," Tyler reassured. "When are you guys planning the wedding for?"

"Truthfully? I have no idea," I replied. Setting the salad aside, I grabbed some plates and utensils, setting them on the table. "It will be at least another year. Maybe next summer. We haven't really discussed it."

"That's cool though, you'll have more time to talk after the playoffs," Tyler said.

"That's true," I nodded. "Max, supper is done, if you guys want it." I called.

"Of course we want it," Jordan said, bounding into the dining room as I put the pans of lasagna on the table. "You made it, so it will be amazing."

"Thanks, Jord," I smiled before going to get the garlic toast and the salad. "You can help yourselves."

"Max said that you were going to build your own cafe," Marc-Andre said after we started supper.

"Yea, Max bought me a lot yesterday," I said.

"Cool, where is it?" Vero asked.

"About three blocks from Letang's apartment," I replied before taking a bite of my lasagna.

"Really?"

I looked over at Kris, who had dropped his fork and was looking at me with a huge grin on his face.

"Yes," I said, frowning slightly.

"I can't wait!" Kris yelled. "I'm going to have delicious food three blocks away from my house. That means I can walk there, eat food and walk back. Which means I will burn off all the calories and whatever else."

"Letang, calm down," I chuckled. "It's going to be awhile. I haven't even built the building yet."

"Well, get on that," Kris rolled his eyes.

~~~~~

A couple hours after supper, I had the group try my baking. I asked for their opinions and any suggestions for the menu for my cafe.

"I like the chocolate squares," Geno said. "The ones with coconut and peanuts."

"I like that one," Jordan said, pointing to what was left on the tray of food.

"Thanks, Geno," I said, smiling at him. "Which one is that, Jordan?"

"Uh, the colorful cake things with the jam and icing," Jordan said.

"These?" I asked, holding up a yellow and blue square with white icing.

"That's the one," Jordan nodded. "They are super tasty."

"Thank-you," I said before taking a bite of the square. "They are called marzipan squares."

"Can I take some home?" Jordan asked.

"Uh, no," I shook my head.

"What not?" Jordan frowned.

"The only ones left are the three on the tray," I explained

"Well, you should sell those at you cafe," Jordan said.

"Definitely," Sidney and Tyler agreed, grabbing two of the last pieces.