Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

ninety-one

"Max, is there anyway I can come a week early?" I asked. I had been getting texts from the unknown number for a week now and it was spooking me.

"What about the contractors?" Max asked. "Don't get me wrong, I miss you like hell and I wish you were here, but are you sure you should come a week early?"

"The contractors are doing great," I said. "Max, there has been someone texting me all week and I don't know the number. It's really starting to freak me out."

"What?" Max asked, his voice getting angry. "Why didn't you tell me earlier? What do they say?"

"It's roughly the same thing," I said. "Mostly about how the person saw me today and they hoped to see me around again."

"And you don't know who it is?" Max asked, his voice sounded very angry and I could imagine his face was red.

"No idea," I shook my head.

"I'm booking you a flight for tomorrow right now," Max told me. I could hear faint typing in the background.

"Thank-you so much, love," I said.

"I won't be able to pick you up," he said. "But someone will be there to get you. I'll send the information right now. Is Brandon still in the 'Burgh?"

"I'm not sure," I said. "I'll ask him after I get off the phone. Why?"

"I'd feel safer if you got him to drive you to the airport," Max explained.

"I'll see if he's in town," I said. "If not, I'll just taxi over."

"No, I'll call Dupuis and see if he can drive you," Max said. "That's if Brandon isn't around anymore."

"Ok," I nodded. "Thank-you, Max."

"It's not a problem," he said. "I just want you to be safe."

"I just hope it's not Adrian," I said, shuttering at the thought of Adrian coming after me again.

"You have a restraining order on him," Max reminded me. "He's not allowed anywhere near you."

"I know," I said. "But that won't keep him from watching me."

"You're making me want to fly down there just to fly home with you," Max admitted.

"I'll be fine, love," I said. "Just relax and I will be in Montreal before you know it." I opened the email Max sent me. "Are you crazy?"

"Excuse me?" Max said. I could tell he was frowning.

"My flight is at eight in the morning," I said. "No-one is going to get up so that they can drive me to the airport by six."

"They will if I tell them to," Max said.

"Why did you book the flight so early?"

"It made me feel better knowing that you would be here sooner," Max explained.

"Thank-you again, Max," I said. "I'm going to text Brandon now. I'll let you know what he says."

"Ok," Max said. "I'll see you soon. I love you."

"I love you, too, Max," I said before hanging up my phone and sending Brandon a text asking if he was still in Pittsburgh.