Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

ninety-two

"Thank-you, Pascal," I said before I got out of Pascal Dupuis' vehicle. "I'll see you in a few months."

"Anytime, Brylyn," Pascal said. "Have a good flight. Oh, and your hair looks good like that."

"Thanks and I will," I smiled, shutting the car door and headed into the airport with my duffel bag of clothes. I ran a hand through my hair, which I straightened. I had been bored the night before and decided not to go to sleep because I would be getting up early the next morning anyway, so I straightened my hair.

I quickly made it through security and sat down to wait the two hours for my plane to arrive. I pulled out my iPod and put the earphones into my ears. I pulled out a notebook and started drawing out what I wanted the inside of the cafe to look like. I was going to send a couple of pictures to Nicola to get her opinion, seeing as she was an interior designer.

Two hours later I was one the plane, where I fell asleep almost instantly. Unfortunately, none of the flights available were direct flights, so I ended up waking up in Philadelphia and Newark.

Six and a half hours later, I was in the Montreal-Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport. I grabbed my duffel bag and made my way through the airport to find out who was picking me up.

I spotted Kris looking around, trying to find someone. So when his back turned to me, I ran up and jumped on his back.

"Letang!" I yelled. People looked at me and gave me a few nasty looks.

"Woah, Bry," Kris laughed. "Quiet down a bit, we are in public."

"Oops, sorry," I chuckled, getting off his back. "Who are you looking for?"

"You," Kris smiled. "Ready to go? Or do you have more luggage?"

"Nope, this is everything," I replied. "Ready to go when you are."

"Let's go then," Kris said, leading the way out to his car. "I like your hair."

"Thanks," I said, getting into his car and buckling the seat belt.

"I don't think I've ever seen it straight," Kris commented, pulling out of the parking space and driving away from the airport.

"That's because I'm too lazy to straighten it," I told him. "Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you out for supper, then to my parents place," he said. "Max is picking you up tomorrow."

"Oh, ok," I nodded, looking out the window.

"So why are you here a week early?" Kris asked pulling into a parking lot. "Max never told me. He said you would tell me if you wanted me to know."

"So what if I don't want you to know?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"Don't be dumb," Kris said, giving me a pointed look. "Of course you want me to know. I'm your best friend."

"That you are," I nodded, getting out of the car and following Kris into the restaurant. "While I was in Pittsbrugh, someone was sending me messages telling me that they saw me and that they hoped to see me again the tomorrow. It has been happening all week and I don't know who it is. I don't recognize the number either. I just hope that it isn't Adrian."

"He's still in jail, Bry," Kris reminded me. "And that's really spooky."

"No kidding," I said. "Anyways, Max didn't want me there alone and since the construction is going good, Max agreed to fly me here early."

"I see," Kris said, looking at the menu. "Hopefully the person disappears before you get back to the 'Burgh."

"I agree," I said. "But there is a chance that they won't, and I'm a little worried about working in my cafe alone. I'm not going to lie, but I keep picturing someone coming in and holding a knife up to my throat and telling me that if I listen everything will be ok."

"Uh, Bry, that's really creepy," Kris said, giving me a worried look.

"That's just it," I said. "That part is creepy, but then the lights in the cafe come on and I can see who it is."

"Who is it?" Kris asked, intrigued.

"I don't know," I said, looking down at the table. "The face is blurred, but the rest of the body isn't. I feel like I've seen the person before and I'm sure I've heard their voice, but I can't put a name to either."

"I wouldn't get too worked up over it," Kris said. "You have Max and Marc and myself to protect you now."

"Aww, thanks Letang," I smiled, shaking my head a little.

Soon enough we had eaten, paid and were heading to Kris' parents house. I still hadn't met them and was a little excited to find out what they were like.