Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

ninety-four

Max and I planned the barbecue for the day after Nicola arrived. I hadn't received a single text from the person who sent the regular messages before. I was happy about this.

As the day went on, Max and I were getting salads and snacks ready for later. The boys were expected to arrive around three and Nicola was on door duty.

At quarter to three, my phone started to vibrate. I picked it up and opened to message.

"Max, come here," I said, my voice shaky.

"Brylyn, are you ok?" Max asked, coming in from the backyard. "You sound scared."

"I got another message," I told him, handing him my phone.

"That bastard," Max muttered, after reading the message.

"Maybe this is a good thing," I suggested, trying to be brave.

"How exactly is it a good thing?" Max asked, anger flashed across his eyes.

"I'll get to find out who it is," I said. Max's anger was starting to scare me.

"I doubt they are going to waltz right into the backyard and say I've been sending you messages," Max spat.

"It will be pretty obvious who it is when the rest of the guys get here," I said, keeping my cool. "It's not likely it's someone from the team."

"How do we know that?" Max asked. "Maybe it is someone from the team. Maybe it's one of the coaching staff. How are we supposed to know?"

"Max, you need to relax," I said, taking a step away from him. "Please."

"How am I supposed to relax when my fiancee is getting texts from someone unknown?" Max questioned. "Why are you so calm? Do you know who it is? Is that it?"

"That's ridiculous," I frowned. "How would I know who is sending me creepy texts? And if I did know, why wouldn't I tell you?"

"I don't know," Max said, giving me an unreadable look. "I get that you don't think there is anything to be worried about, but the person said he, she, whatever, was going to be coming to the barbecue. How do they even know about it? The only people we told were the guys and Nicola."

"What about me?" Nicola asked from behind me.

I turned and looked at her. Kris was standing beside her. "I got another text."

"Oh no," Nicola's eyes got wide. "What did it say?"

"It said that the person was going to reveal them self at the barbecue tonight," I replied.

"Bry, are you ok?" Kris walked over to me and held my upper arms lightly, looking at my face for any sign of worry.

"I'm ok," I said. "Just a bit nervous and scared."

"Understandable," Kris nodded. "And Max?"

"What about me?" Max asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We heard you yelling," Nicola said. "It's going to be ok. Nothing and nobody will hurt Brylyn. She will have a dozen people around her. No-one would let her get hurt."

"I know," Max sighed. "I just don't want to lose her."

"What?" I looked at Max, who's face was sad.

"I keep thinking about the two times that Adrian took you away from me," Max confessed. "I don't think I could handle losing you a third time. I mean, what if next time you don't come back?"

"Max," I said, walking up to him. I placed a hand on his cheek. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I know," Max said before leaning down and giving me a kiss.