Subterfuge.

o1.

Swabs of scarlet and dark periwinkle flooded the sky; the chirps of children splashing in the lake’s cool water had now been muffled by the approaching nighttime. Their mother’s had taken them by their tiny hands and led them away. I stayed. The smile on my face, I learned, was subterfuge- only a thick mask to cover my undying melancholy.

I had come early today, earlier than usual. I found that the scent of the tall cedar trees lining the old wood fence near the lake calming. It’s just what I needed to forget today. I just wanted to forget; the busy morning bustle of the city, his lies, and the look on his face when I walked in on them and the tears that streamed down my face when I did.

My fiancé’s unfaithful affair with Marla was too much. Monogamy was a small room, and James must’ve been claustrophobic. I had to escape. My mind led me hear, back home where I belong, it always did, even if it meant driving for five hours straight. Whatever happens, my heart and my mind led me home to Saranac Lake.

I had originally planned on driving home to Ma and Pa. But when I past the lake, I had to stay. I kicked off my lavender heels and walked the path that led to the edge of the lake trudging past the children of my village who stared at me. My blond hair was undone and my new periwinkle Vera Wang dress was wrinkled. I looked horrible, but still my forged smile resided on my face.

The nighttime breeze pushed by and I tilted my head back and rested upon the trunk of the towering maple tree, my lavender heels were discarded among the brush that laid beneath my bare legs. The sky was now washed with reds and oranges swiftly striping through the blue quickly evading the sky. The colors washed through with such gorgeous visage.

I missed this. I missed it a lot.

I sighed and hoisted myself up from the tree’s trunk and took hold of my heels, I suppose it was late and I’d have to tell my parents about the cancellation of my once anticipated wedding. I took one last look at the setting sky and walked slowly to the small trail leading to the dirt parking lot.

A small call stopped me in my tracks.

“Melanie? Mel, is that really you?”

I turned around to the sound of his voice. It was so warm, and it felt like home, he spoke as if I had been home this whole time. How does he remember?
I turned quickly and my breath constricted, lodged in my throat.
“Noah?” I breathed brushing past shrubs to the dark haired boy. Well, I suppose now he’s a grown man, but it’s been so long…

“What are you doing here, Melanie?” he sighed dropping a withered maple branch beside him

“I- uh came to see the lake, then visit my parents,” I said motioning to the cascading water beside me

He sighed once more and brushed his dirty calloused hands on his faded jeans.
“Maybe you should get going now,” he grunted

My heart sped up and my face flashed with embarrassment. He wants me to leave. He’s actually telling me to pack up and leave- the nerve of that man! I sauntered to a log and dropped my lavender sling backs beside it. His face fell; he must’ve realized that I’m not leaving any time soon.

“So, how’s life,”

“Its fine,” he shrugged

“Oh,” I sighed

The silence was unbearable. The tension grew and grew. Noah looked at me with such sincerity and adoration- the way he used to look at me. I fidgeted with the hem of my dress and stared right back into his russet colored eyes. His muscles tensed under his shirt and he brushed a few strands of his brown hair from his eyes with a delicate tan hand. I studied him as we stared back at each other. His russet eyes- those eyes I once fell in love with glowered at me, and I realized he was studying me too. His eyes flickered over my own blue green ones and my pale face, he glanced down at the huge scar at the base of my calf; the one I got that one summer at the island.

I decided to interrupt, “Noah, whatever happened to us?” I spoke so softly, as if I had not, the universe and its entire visage would’ve been disturbed.

He groaned loudly and sat beside me on the mossy log.

“Don’t ask me that, Mel,”

“Why not?” I cried

“Because,” he shouted, “you left…”

My eyes wandered to the old molded fence beside the cedar trees.

“You know I had to,”

“No,” he interrupted, “you didn’t”

I took hold of his hand and caressed the small scars and calluses.

“I missed you,” I whispered

“I missed you, too,”

I leant over and kissed his soft lips. I still remembered his taste and the feeling I always got when I kissed him. My blood rushed through my body and I felt as if I was hanging upside down ten feet high. My stomach turned and somersaulted. This is how it was supposed to be. I ran my hand through his thick locks as he deepened the kiss. His rough hand caressed my side and we broke apart.

“How’s life?” I panted

“Better now,” he smiled
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this in class. I'd like to know what you think. Thank You.