‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

By Your Side

The next day was like usual, getting everything together for another performance at Gilman Street, but for me, it felt completely different. I felt completely numb, and time flew past dramatically. One minute I was chewing slowly on an apple to not have Adie bugging me later about not having breakfast, and the next I was setting up my guitar on stage.

I scanned the crowd once more like when I had first tried to search for Joey, trying to see if Rowan was there. He told me he would be wearing a Sex Pistols t-shirt. I swallowed hard as the rest of the band set up and started playing. Forcing the thoughts the back of my mind, I concentrated on playing our set.

Once again we were a success, and more people began asking us if we were going to make a new album. We told them we would work on it soon and we joined the crowd. As I was getting myself a drink, a hand dropped on my shoulder. I spun around, hoping for it to be Rowan, but I cringed when I saw Pete, with his nose unfortunately back to normal. I seethed with anger as I recalled Joey crying pitifully.

'Well hello there! Glad to know that everyone loved your set.' he drawled sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes at him. 'Oh get a life Pete. You deserved that punch in the nose for being such a scumbag.'

Pete laughed gently. 'Well, you seemed a bit teary when your boyfriend got a bit drunk.'

My anger boiled up to tipping point. I tried to compose myself.

'What you did was horrible. You should stay away from Joey and Billie and Adrienne. You should stay from everyone.'

Pete suddenly grabbed my hand in a vice grip. I winced in pain. 'You know what Leslie? You should get someone to teach you a lesson.'

Then a hand came out of nowhere and grabbed the back of Pete's shirt. We both looked up at a man with an angry look in his eyes. I noticed he was wearing a Sex Pistols t-shirt. I gasped.

'You might want to let go of my daughter's wrist, you little git, otherwise your life won't be worth living.' he growled.

Pete glanced in slight terror at me and back to the man. He snarled and let go of my wrist. Pete sauntered off and left us standing there

'Hey Leslie, you were really, really great today.' Rowan said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. I noticed there and then he had dark wavy hair, and a similar nose shape and eye colour to mine. He gave me a toothy grin.

'Thanks - is it okay to call you Dad?' I asked him shyly.

'It might take some getting used to, but that's fine.' Rowan said calmly.

We smiled at each other and we walked over to the bar. I noticed Katie give me a smile from across the room as Rowan got me a drink.

'So, who was that dickhead back there?' Rowan questioned as he passed me a drink.

'Just some guy who's jealous of the band.' I sighed. 'So, can you tell me about - if it's not too personal - about what happened when I was a baby?' I no longer cared about being too quick. I wanted answers.

Rowan nodded slightly and looked at me softly.

'I guess you should know, after all these years.' he said quietly. 'Well, I got with your mom when she first moved here. She was a transfer student from Sydney, and she needed some company. We fell and love and then you came along. We were only together for two months, and she got homesick and wanted to leave. I got angry, much more than what was necessary. Juliet said I was too dangerous around you and she left, taking you away from me. Just before she left I got you that necklace.' He added, looking at the necklace around my neck.

For some reason my eyes filled with tears as I looked into my dad's eyes. I looked away to wipe away my escaping tears. An arm wrapped around my shoulders and pulled me into a tight hug.

'It's okay honey.' Rowan murmured in my ear. 'From now on, I'll be by your side.'
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much if you have stuck with the story for this long! Really appreciate it! I would love to have some more comments, so don't be shy and leave a comment! ;)