‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

No Way Out

The first thing I felt when I woke was immense pain in my head and stomach. I could hardly see anything in front of me. My eyelids felt as heavy as weights as I tried to keep them open. I groaned and rolled onto my back, which made the contents of my stomach churn. I felt like I was going to puke onto the already dirty carpet. Finally, my vision came back to me. I was still in Rowan's apartment, and I was still where I had collapsed.

I tried to remember what had happened as I slowly sat up. The living room was filled with pale moonlight, which was streaming from behind the flimsy curtains of the window. We were drinking tea, and - and then Justin had collapsed - and then - and then so had everyone else - Rowan.

I sprung to my feet in panic. Where had they gone? Justin, Hamish, Katie and Harry had disappeared. I was the only one left in the room. I turned around slowly.

'Rowan?' I said into the darkness, my voice coming out wobbly. 'This better not be some joke.'

Suddenly I heard voices and banging. They were yelling for help. I sprinted into the small hallway. The voices were coming from the door at the end. It was them! I ran up to the door and banged on the door.

'Leslie? Leslie is that you?' I heard Katie's voice yell.

'Yeah it's me. Guys, what's going on?' I whispered loudly.

'I haven't got a clue. Rowan locked us in here. Leslie, I don't think Rowan is your dad. He's doing something to you.'

'No! No, there has to be some explanation.' I said. I didn't want to believe it. It was a joke. Just some twisted evil joke. Why was Rowan doing this to us? He was my father! He wouldn't do something like this. Would he?

Suddenly, an hand grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the door. I screamed in shock as I was flung to the floor. I looked up into Rowan's angry eyes. I saw one of his eyes twitch. My heart filled with dread as his figure stood over me.

'Rowan - what's going on? Tell me what your doing!' I demanded, backing away from him.

'What's going on? Why don't you tell me?' Rowan whispered ferociously. ' Why, I think this was all your mother's fault. Why did she leave me Leslie? Why did she leave? Why do I live in such crappy poverty? Tell me Leslie.' Rowan suddenly kicked me hard in the ribs. I screamed in pain as I felt two of my ribs crack. Tears of pain filled my eyes as I looked up at him.

'Why are you being such a dickhead?' I said, sobs chocking my voice. 'Aren't you supposed to be my dad?'

'Leslie, you stupid bitch! I'm not your father! Me and Juliet never slept together' Rowan roared, kicking me again. This time, I was sure my cracked ribs fully broke. I tried to crawl away, but Rowan grabbed my arms.

'I saw your slut mother with Armstrong years ago. He still thinks I'm his friend. He doesn't know I know. She probably slept with him. Juliet was always going on about how talented he and his band were. Why don't you ask Armstrong, hey?'

'But - but the birth records - how does this work?' I stuttered as I tried not to cry anymore.

'Huh! I knew you were in San Francisco. Everyone's been talking about your band. I saw you at the library that morning, going through those records. I knew you straight away. You almost look just like your mother you know.'

Rowan dragged me across the room and threw me against the couch. I hit my face on the edge of the coffee table. I felt blood trickle down my face.

'I'm friends with the librarian there. I paid him to hide your real birth records and make fake ones, making me your father. Once we got close, I would get revenge.'

Rowan started punching me hard in the stomach repeatedly. I screamed and tried to crawl away. Rowan's hands suddenly enclosed around my neck and squeezed hard. All the air left my lungs and I chocked. Thinking quickly, I kicked backwards and got Rowan in the face. He yelped in pain as I made my way to the door. I suddenly saw red and blue lights erupt though the window. Thank God, the police were here. But how did they know about this?

I tried to scream as Rowan clamped his hand over my mouth. Suddenly, the door smashed open and police officers poured into the room. They ripped Rowan and I apart and forced him to the ground. He growled like a hysterical dog as he was forced in handcuffs. An officer threw a blanket around me, pulled me to the opposite side of the room and sat me down.

'Don't worry, your safe now.' The officer said quietly to me, rubbing my arms. Some other officers let my friends go. I wanted to run over to them hug them, but I remembered my broken ribs. I groaned in pain as they walked over to me.

'Thank God, thank God!' I suddenly sobbed. 'I thought he had hurt you guys.'

'But he's hurt you!' Harry gasped, wiping the blood from my cut. 'What did the bastard do to you?'

I explained what had happened and what Rowan had said.

'I knew it!' Katie, starting to cry and gently hugging me. 'Deep down I knew it! I'm so sorry Leslie!'

I cried back into her shoulder, still feeling horribly terrified. And then a horrible, heart wrenching realisation came to me as I hugged my friends and ambulance officers gently pulled me onto a stretcher, taking my pulse and putting a cold ice pack to my broken ribs.

Why didn't I just listen to Joey?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed!! PLEASE leave a comment, really helps with motivation and shit like that. I'm pretty sure you'll like that next chapter!!! ;)