‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

Hospital Stay

I was sped over to the hospital, Katie coming with me in the ambulance while the others came in a police car. I was taken up to a room and had a ton of pain control medicine injected into me while bandages were wrapped around my ribs. I lay there in the bed, breathing deeply, and with my friends talking to me, trying to distract me from the aching pain.

'Leslie, I just called Billie. He'll be coming with Adrienne, Joey and Jakob as soon as they can.' Harry said to me softly.

I nodded, not bothering to respond. Every time I tried to speak, my voice came out wavering and weak. I started thinking that one of my broken ribs was pressing up against my luing and puncturing them.

Just as a nurse brought in hot drinks for us, Billie, Adrienne, Joey and Jakob rushed into the room. They all looked pale, as though they had seen a ghost.

'Honey, are you okay? What happened? Where's Rowan? What did he do to you?' Adrienne questioned, stumbling over her words.

'Adie, I'm fine. I'm just - shocked I guess.' I said, trying to speak as loud as I could.

Harry, along with everyone else, explained to them what had happened. They all gasped in shock when they heard what Rowan had said to me.

'That fucking bastard! Sorry Jakob.' Billie added quickly, realising his younger son was in the room. 'I really thought Rowan was a decent guy all these years, we went way back to high school.' Billie sighed and sat down next to me.

'And just to say Leslie,' Billie said, taking my hand. 'I never had anything romantic to do with your mom. I had been married to Adie for just a year back then, and Joey was a baby. I wasn't messing around with any girls back then. Juliet and I were just friends.'

'Don't worry, I really do believe you Billie.' I reassured him, squeezing his hand. Billie gave me a small smile and a small kiss on my forehead.

'I'm just so relieved that you're okay. You guys were gone for hours.' Billie said, wrapping his arm around Adie's waist. 'We all are relieved. We have to get Mike and Tre to visit while you're here. And no more gigs for you, okay?'

I sighed sadly and nodded. I really was hoping to finish our gigs at Gilman Street this week. But there was no chance of me going anywhere or playing a guitar with out cracking a rib again. A nurse came in and bossed them out, saying I needed my sleep.

'Wait. I need to speak to Joey.' I said. Joey turned, his face emotionless. The nurse closed the door behind her and left us alone.

'Look, Joey. I'm really sorry I didn't listen to you. If I had just listened, I wouldn't be here!' I said, feeling guilt soak through my skin and down to my bones. Joey shook his head, his face still not showing a sign of emotion.

'You don't need to apologise. How were you supposed to know? But you did only know the guy for a couple of days. He was trying to do you in!'

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. 'I know, I know. I just - wanted to say sorry. Oh, and I wanted to talk about what we said before, back at your house. While we were arguing' I said, my face going red. I just wanted to get this out of the way, and not cause anymore crap between us.

Joey's face finally softened and he sat down next to me. He looked to the floor for a few moments, but he looked back up and gave me a small grin.

'Well - most of that was true.' he said softly. He leaned closer, putting his arms on the sides of the bed and resting his head on them.

'What parts?' I asked, even though I already knew. I could feel my heart pounding like crazy as I looked into Joey's eyes.

'Well, I think we both know what parts.'

My heart felt like it was going to give out as Joey leaned in closer. He searched my face with his eyes. His impossibly, beautiful, dancing, laughing, bottomless, emerald green eyes.

'Look, I was way too scared before to tell you before, but, now that this has happened, I wanna get it out, so we never have to argue about it again.'

Joey took a deep breath and stared straight at me.

Leslie, I've liked you since I saw you in that bar, playing that set. I just saw you dancing around and playing like a pro, and I just - fell for you. Your funny, smart and so much better than Naomi ever was. I just - hope - that you actually do feel the same way. I don't want anymore messing around.'

Somewhere deep inside of me, felt hugely reliefed and escited at the same time. I felt like jumping out of that bed, despite my injuries, and dancing around like a crazy idiot. But I shrugged those thoughts away. I swallowed hard and looked straight at Joey.

'Joey Armstrong, I'm very sure - no - I'm positive that I do feel the same way.' I said, laughing slightly. 'And I never want to leave you. It would be suicide if I did.'

Joey fully smiled. He put a hand behind my head and stroked the side of my face with his thumb. And finally, what I had been secretly been waiting for since that first gig in San Francisco, Joey leaned in, took my face gently between both his hands and kissed me.

I had always thought my first kiss would be magical, slightly exciting and everything I had hoped for. Kissing Joey was a million times better than any of those thoughts. His lips were really soft and tasted like lemonade. I placed my hands on the sides of Joey's neck, which was as far as I could reach without my ribs aching. I couldn't tell how long we pashed for, but I never wanted it to end, not in a lifetime.

I suddenly heard an awkward cough. We quickly parted and looked over at the door, and Billie was standing there, looking embarrassed, but at the same time he looked as though he would burst into hysterics any moment.

'Sorry if I interrupted, but visitors have to leave now.' Billie gave me an all knowing smile. 'I'm sure you'll have plenty of time tomorrow to exchange saliva.'

Joey and I both blushed. I felt so embarrassed! One of my ultimate idols had been watching me pash his eldest son while in hospital in the dead of night. Billie would never ever let me live this one down.

'Gee, thanks Dad.' Joey said sarcastically. He looked over to me and smiled. 'I'll see you tomorrow then?'

'Oh - uh - yeah, of course.' I said, trying not to look at Billie, who was quietly giggling at our red faces. Luckily, Adrienne slapped Billie over the head and pulled him into the hallway.

Joey bent back down and kissed me quickly on the lips. 'I love you. Now get some sleep, alright?' he whispered in my ear, before getting up and quietly closing the door behind him.

I stared at the door and smiled to myself. I flicked the switch on the conveniently placed light and closed my eyes.

'I love you too.' I whispered, before falling into a deep, untroubled sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY!!! lol, hoped you liked this chapter! Please leave some comments, if it's not too much trouble!! XD