‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

A Horrible Nightmare

I came down the stairs, stretching my arms and yawning aloud. I had such a great sleep that night, I felt totally relaxed. I dragged my feet into the kitchen, expecting my mum to be already up, making breakfast. But the kitchen was empty. I walked around the house, but I couldn't find her anywhere. Where the hell was she? I started to slightly panic, like a child does when they are left alone in a huge crowd.

I ran out the front, yelling for her. Something deep down was telling me she was in danger. And then suddenly, she appeared on the road, blood seeping from her head slowly, staining the grey cracked road, and her eyes were rolled back into her head. I screamed as more bodies appeared before me, in the same state as my mum. Katie, Harry, Hamish and Justin, Billie, Mike, Tre, Adrienne and Jakob, and finally Joey.

I screamed as each body came into view. I fell to the ground, crying hysterically over their dead bodies. Then Rowan, his hands and front covered in blood, walked over to me from around the corner of my street. Rowan laughed gently and then spoke.

'You see what happens when you get me into trouble, hey Leslie?' Rowan whispered darkly. 'I will make sure that every person you care about is chopped up into little pieces in front of you. Your mother.' He pointed to her. 'Your friends, your idols, and your pathetic little boyfriend. All will end up like this, because of you. It'll be your fault, you believed me in the first place. Everything, will be your fault!!'

I screamed that it wasn't my fault. I wanted to believe it, but I couldn't convince myself. Rowan advanced towards me. I sprang to my feet and sprinted down the street. But everyone's blood was following me, dripping into my shoes, licking against my legs, splashing my elbows, saturating my hair and finally drowning me in the blood. So. Much. Blood.


I woke up screaming, tears blinding my vision. My cracked ribs roared out in dull and aching pain as I sat up. A pair of hands seized my shoulders and shook me slightly. The tears ran from my eyes, letting me see. It was Joey who was shaking me, looking worried as small sobs chocked my throat.

'Joey - I'm so sorry - it was just a nightmare - a horrible, horrible nightmare.' I said, trying not to completely beak down.

'You were shouting when I came in. I tried to wake you up, but you were shaking like mad.' Joey said, slowly shaking his head. 'I thought you were having an epileptic fit or something, it scared the living shit outta me.'

I lay my head on Joey's shoulder and took deep breaths. No else was here but Joey, who was kissing my forehead.

'Where is everyone else?' I asked quietly.

'Everyone is downstairs. I came up to see you by myself.' Joey responded. For some reason I could feel my face growing red as Joey stared at me straight in the eyes. He gave me a small smile and kissed me again. I kissed him back, feeling my horror drain away quickly. I hugged him as I returned back to normal.

After a few minutes, everyone else came up, including Mike and Tre, who had decided to visit. I hugged them all tightly, suddenly remembering them, lying there murdered in my dream. All together, we told Mike and Tre what had happened last night at Rowan's apartment. They were shocked, and Tre starting muttering what he would do if he ever lay his eyes on Rowan near us again. We all stayed together for a few more minutes, chatting until a doctor came in to diagnose my ribs.

He took me into a separate room with a huge x-ray, and he said that my ribs were only slightly cracked, and that another day or two in hospital with some prescription drugs would have me up again.

But I till felt scared. What if Rowan came around and bashed the door down with his bare fists? I couldn't wipe away the memory of how angry he looked last night back at his apartment. It was really no wonder my mum left him and took us to Australia. Then Billie told me calmly that Rowan was being sent to jail in several days, for domestic violence against us and several other people who gave in evidence. But it still didn't leave me feeling satisfied. Even though I was surrounded by my friends, I couldn't shake off the strange feeling of growing dread.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took a while to put up, I had writters blcok for a few days. Please leave some comments, I really would like some constructive feedback on how you are liking the story!!! Thanks ;)