‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

The Truth Comes Out

The next two days that I had spent in the hospital would have been unbearable if Joey didn't occasionally visit. Those two days, he would come and chat to me about anything. I mostly asked about his band, Emily's Army. He told how it came around and how practices were going so far. He showed me a a couple of songs of one of his albums, Regan McNeil and I had to admit, they were pretty good.

Finally, I was able to get out of the bed and walk around, and I was out of the hospital, breathing a huge sigh of relief when we drove back up Billie's driveway after the long drive back from hospital. I brought back some sore ribs and alot of prescription drugs.

But as soon as we went back through the door, Harry pulled me aside with a worried look on his face. He simply held out his phone to me. Feeling worried once again, I scanned the text that had popped up on his phone.

Harry,

I know it has only been two weeks, but I would like to have Leslie back home. I have some very important news to tell her and we need to be alone. Do you think you can drop her back home tomorrow?

Juliet.


I felt like screaming in fury and defeat. My mum wanted me home? This completely ruined everything!

'Why the fuck did she have to send this bloody text?' I moaned, flopping down on a couch.

'Well it's obviously freaking important!' Harry sighed, sitting down next to me.

Billie followed suite and sat down in front of us, giving us a sort of sad look.

'Well, if you don't want you skin to be ripped to shreds by your mother, you will have to go home.' he said firmly, sounding very parental.

'But leaving is the last thing I want to do!' I replied. 'Everything has been so much better here than back home. Sure I nearly got killed by some physcopath, but you guys are like my family, and I don't leave you, or Adrienne, or Mike, or Tre, or Joey.' I paused as Joey came into the room at the mention of his name.

'Especially not Joey.' I mumbled, looking up at him nervously.

There was a tense silence as they mulled over the sad news. Joey sighed and left the room, his face drawn in anger. I couldn't be bothered to go after him. I felt as though somebody had kicked me in the stomach.

'Well, if you want to book flights now, I can help.' Billie said, standing up. Harry followed him over to the computer in the corner of the room and booked the flights for later that night, since the airport was back up and running. I felt numb as we were told to go downstairs and pack up everything. I didn't know whose clothes I was throwing back into my bag. All the events of the past two weeks washed through my brain. The first gig, meeting Joey for the first time, Gilman Street and coming home with Billie Joe, meeting Mike and Tre, everything.

While Hamish, Katie and Justin had finished and already went back upstairs, I flopped down on the bed, tears began falling from my eyes. A small sob escaped me and I laid my head down on the pillow. I didn't want to leave. This was home. I wanted it to be home anyway.

I heard the doorbell ring from above and the door opening. I sat up. There were some muffled voices and footsteps were heard coming down the staircase. I was surprised to see Tre coming into the room.

'Hi Leslie, just came over with Mike to rehearse for our - hey, what's wrong?' he suddenly asked in a concerned voice as more tears rolled down my face. He came over and sat down next to me on the bed. I composed myself as I told Tre what had happened, and that we were going back to Australia.

'Jesus, that sucks.' Tre sighed when I finished. 'I was just getting used to you being around.'

'I'm sorry, but I have to go Tre.' I mumbled. 'I can't leave my mum in the dark forever.'

'Well, I guess you're right.' Tre said, looking down at his feet. 'Your mother was always right too.'

I did a double take. What did he say?

'Wait, did you knew my mum too?' I questioned. Tre looked over at me, looking slightly surprised.

'Well yeah. Billie knew her, and so did Mike and I.' he said quickly. I decided to ask some questions, regarding my mum.

'So, were you friends with her?' I questioned slowly. Tre shrugged, not looking at me.

'Yeah, we were - good friends.' he answered slowly. 'I may have liked her at one point, y'know . . .' he trailed off.

I felt like Tre was hiding something from me. I could tell from that drawn look on his face. What was he hiding?

'Tre, just tell me the truth.' I said, wanting to know what he wasn't telling me. Tre looked up and sighed again.

'Okay, okay. Well, your mother was a transfer college student, as you know, and she was staying with this family just outside Oakland. We bumped into her and she became friends with us. Rowan was hanging out with us back then, and they hit it off. Juliet then moved out and stayed with Rowan, since they were getting all serious. But I was jealous, cause I really liked her.'

Tre paused, looking down at his feet again.

'Then after one of our shows, Juliet came over to my house, saying she had nowhere else to go since she left. She told me Rowan had exploded and was completely shattered. Then, just outta nowhere, I told her how I felt. Then, one thing lead to another, and you know how it goes.'

He stopped, looking anywhere but at me. I shuffled a little closer.

'Keep going.' I urged. Tre finally looked straight at me.

'Well, she went back to Rowan the next day, feeling guilty after what had happened between us I guess. Then, she called up and told me she was pregnant. I knew it was Rowan's and I never saw her again when she moved back to Sydney. But I did give her this cute little necklace before she left. I wouldn't know if she still has it.'

While he was silent, I had tried to comprehend what he had said. For some reason, I reached down and touched my silver guitar pendant.

'You - you liked my mum?' I said, knowing the fact that the coolest drummer alive had loved my mum was freaking me out.

'Yeah, I really did.' he said. 'I don't know what she looks like now, but back then she was gorgeous.'

'Wait.' I suddenly said, realising something. 'Just wait a minute. If Rowan is not my dad, and he is obviously not, and my mum had been with you the night before she left - then-' I faltered to a stop. We both slowly looked up at each other. Tre's mouth had dropped slightly open, looking speechless.

'No.' I said, shaking my head. 'You -can't be - you simply can't be my - ' I couldn't even get the word out. Surely it couldn't be true. But there was no other way, all the pieces fitted together. It was logical.

Tre Cool was my dad.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SOOOO sorry this came out uper dooper late, school being a moody bitch and all. Going to put up next chapter tommorow morning!