‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

A Close Call

The next two days had seemed to blur past so fast that it made me dizzy to think about it. We played at the last two shows, and Joey was there at them. After the gigs, I would go and have a drink with him before we left. He reminded me about his offer to play in Oakland, and I told him that I would talk to the band about it. So the last night we were suppose to stay in San Francisco, I approached Harry and told him about the offer.

'Leslie, we have to fly out tomorrow for Phoenix! I don't think we would have time for a full length show!' Harry said, pouring himself a mug of coffee.

'Oh come on!' I pleaded, almost tempted to beg on my knees. 'Surely we can play for two hours and then leave!'

'It won't work! I mean, where would we perform anyway? I don't know any places in Oakland!' Harry argued.

Now this was something I had raced past. Joey hadn't said anything about any places. I didn't know any places- Or did I?

'What about 924 Gilman Street?' I said, the place suddenly something to my mind. I had wanted to go to Gilman Street since I started listening to Green Day at ten years old. But everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me, as though I had announced I was a Nazi.

'That's a pretty cool idea! We just HAVE to perform at Gilman Street!' Justin broke in, a goofy grin on his face. I wasn't really that surprised. Justin would perform anyhwere, even in a bathroom if he got the chance.

'I don't like it! Only the best bands play there!' Katie said, looking down at her feet nervously.

'Oh come on you guys! Can't we just do one small measly gig? We'll regret it later if we don't!' I cried, looking around at them. 'Plus, Joey's dad can organise it! He told me his dad was a musician and can book us a place!'

But that was all I knew. Whenever Joey talked about his family at the two gigs, he looked nervous and slightly embarrassed. Maybe they were the humiliating in public type. Or was it something else? Anyway, it made me nervous not really knowing who Joey really was, but something deep inside told me I should trust him.

Harry sighed and looked down at me.

'Alright, if you can contact this Joey guy, then maybe he can do something for us!' he said.

I hugged Harry and rushed into my room to grab my phone. I flipped open the phone and I almost screamed when I saw a message from my mum flash up on the screen. A sweat broke out on the back of my neck and my knees turned to jelly. I collapsed down on my un-made bed and tried to remain composed. Had she found out that I was actually in America? Knowing there was only one way of finding out, I clicked on the OK button and read the message:

Hello honey, how is Canberra? I tried to ring but it wouldn't connect at first! What have you been up to? I've heard it's been freezing in Canberra so don't forget to wear an extra layer when you go outside! I hope you aren't playing that guitar too much, it really cause an awful din! Please remember your manners and I hope you are being nice to everyone!

Mum


It was a typical protective clueless mum text. I was relieved that she hadn't found out. I sent a quick text back, not keeping my mum in the dark, making up crap about going to the movies and strolling in the park. I sent it into cyberspace and not losing a moment, dialled in Joey's number (he had given it to me the night before,) and I waited.

The phone rung for several seconds, but soon enough Joey picked up. I could faintly hear some hard rock music in the background and a women's voice talking about something or other.

'Hey Leslie!' Joey said excitedly into the phone.

'Hey Joey, how's life?' I questioned ,lying down on the bed and resting my chin on the pillow.

'Life 's going pretty normal, that's if you consider my life normal.' Joey replied. 'So is this about the show in Oakland? Are you gonna do it?'

'I convinced them, they're in.' I said. 'We just need a venue, that's all. I was thinking Gilman Street, but I don't know if we could get a place there.'

'Gilman Street? That's perfect, you guys should totally perform there! My dad used to play there, but that doesn't matter at the moment.' Joey added quickly, sounding nervous again. 'He could get a place for you there if you want.'

'Oh, you don't have to go to the trouble-' I tried to interject, but Joey wouldn't hear of it.

'Relax, it's cool! We really don't mind. I recorded one of your songs when you performed last night on my phone and Dad thinks you sound awesome! We're gonna call the place and all you guys have to do is turn up!'

'Wait, I thought you had to send in lyrics to get booked.' I realised, my hope suddenly sinking at the thought.

'It's okay. Lets just say my dad knows some people.' Joey said sneakily.

I felt a bit guilty that we got in straight away while other bands had to get in the hard way, but I would let it pass just this one time.

'So, what time is good for you?' Joey asked.

'Hold on, I'll go ask Harry.' I quickly said. I ran back out into the living room and asked when we were gonna fly out.

'We're gonna leave at six p.m, so we should do this gig at three.' Harry said, not looking away from the TV.

'Three o'clock should be perfect.' I told Joey.

We said our last goodbyes and hung up. I leaned against the wall and breathed a sigh of relief, glad that everything was turning out so well. I wandered off to bed, thinking of how awesome tomorrow would be. I didn't realise that the next day would completely change my life forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you think? Please be a nice person and leave a comment!!! I have already typed the next chapter, but i'm tired at the moment and I'll post it up as soon as I get to school! ;)