Majesty Castle

Chapter 29

It was the same as all the others, the nightmare that woke Johnny out of a dead sleep. Every night that it came to him, it was like an instant replay of the night Luke had done the unthinkable to him. Each time it happened, he woke alone in the dark overcome with fear and afraid to close his eyes again. The only thing he could do to get the vile images out of his head was to focus on the one thing that made him happy. Etta. So, that he did. While he lay there in the dark, he forced his mind to focus on the events of their date.

“I thought we were having dinner in the garden,” Etta said as Johnny laid a blanket down on the grass beside the lake.

He shrugged his shoulders and smiled at her. “Tricked you.”

Etta laughed and kicked off her shoes before sitting down on the blanket. Following her lead, Johnny took his shoes off and sat down on the blanket opposite her. “I like the lake better anyway. It’s a nice place for a picnic.”

“Yes,” he nodded opening the picnic basket. He set out the plates and napkins and took out a container of fresh fruit and set it down on the blanket. Instead of fried chicken like Zacky suggested, he had Pippa make them sandwiches figuring there would be less mess to clean up afterwards. She even made fresh potato salad. Of course Johnny had to help and as much as Pippa hated people helping in her kitchen, she couldn’t deny Johnny.

“Ham or turkey?” he asked.

“Um, I’ll take turkey.”

He set her sandwich on the plate for her and took out the cider from the basket. After pouring her a cup, he poured some for himself and set a sandwich on his own plate.

Johnny took a bite of his sandwich and rolled his eyes before setting it down on the plate.

“What’s the matter?”

“Forgot something,” he sighed and opened the basket again. He took out the flowers he picked for her and held them in his hand. “Supposed to give you this first.” He looked defeated.

“They’re beautiful.” She smiled when he handed them to her. “And who says you have to give flowers at the beginning of the date anyway? I like your way better.” He laughed knowing she was trying to make him feel better. She never let him feel bad.

“You look very handsome tonight, Johnny.”

“Me?”

“Yes,” she laughed. “You.” He blushed not knowing what to do or say. In his mind, he was the one who was supposed to be saying nice things to her. They ate together and made small talk. Johnny even managed a few jokes just to hear her laugh again.

“So, what do we do now?”

“Magic trick,” he said with a raised eyebrow.

“You’re going to do magic?”

“Yes,” he stood up and reached for her hand. When she stood, he walked her over to the edge of the lake and sat down setting his feet in the water and motioning for her to do the same. She sat beside him and he smiled at her. “Look up at the sky.”

She smiled and did as he asked. “What color do you see?”

“Blue?”

“Yes,” he answered and then covered her eyes with his hand. “Now, count to ten.” When she was done counting, he removed his hand. “Now what color do you see?”

“Purple.” She looked up at the sky bewildered at the color change that took place when the sun was about to set. “It’s amazing.”

“It’s magic,” he smiled.

“I’ve never witnessed a sunset up close.”

“I watch all the time. I like the colors,” he said looking back up at the sky.

“Thank you for sharing this with me.”

Johnny took her hand and looked at her. “No sunset will ever be as beautiful as you.”

She wasn’t expecting him to say that and didn’t know how to respond. When he turned his face away and focused his gaze on the water, she leaned over and kissed his cheek. He smiled wide and looked back at her. “Do you like chocolate?”

“Yes.”

“Wait here.” He hurried up from where he was sitting and went back over to where the picnic basket was and took out the chocolate soufflé that Pippa made. After grabbing two forks, he walked back over to the lake and sat down again. “Close your eyes.”

“More magic?”

“Yes,” he laughed.

When her eyes were closed, he took some of the soufflé on his fingers and brought them to her lips. “Open,” he told her and when she opened her mouth he gave her the chocolate from his fingers.

“Oh, that is heaven,” she said, as she tasted the sweetness. “You are the best magician in the whole world.”

He laughed heartily this time and watched as she dipped her fingers in the soufflé. “Let me try.”

He took the chocolate in his mouth from her fingers and closed his eyes after tasting it. “Wow, it’s good.”

“Yeah,” she nodded and fed him again from her fingers. “Forks are so overrated.”

He smiled and they fed each other with their fingers until all of soufflé was gone. When the night grew dark, they walked back to Majesty. Etta had agreed at Johnny’s insistence to stay in the guest room again citing that it was too late for her to go home alone.

After dropping off the picnic basket in the kitchen, Johnny walked Etta to the door of the guest room. “It was a magical night, Johnny. Thank you.”

“Maybe we could have another date. I have more magic.”

“I’d like that,” she nodded.

“Good night, Jeanetta.”

“Good night, Johnny.”

When he started to walk away, she called out to him. “Johnny?”

He turned back and walked over to her, but didn’t say anything. “I know I haven’t had much experience with dates and all, but don’t they usually end with a kiss?”

He smiled and brought his finger to his chin to give her the impression that he was thinking about something. “Nope.”

“Oh, oh my forgive me. I didn’t mean to be so forward.” She was blushing and he tried not to laugh.

“How about one last magic trick?”

“Sure,” she shrugged.

“Ok, close your eyes and don’t open them until I tell you.” When she closed her eyes, Johnny took both her hands in his. “Now, think about the sunset, what do you see?”

“I see purple, with little flecks of orange and pink.”

“Relaxing?”

“Yes, very,” she whispered.

“Beautiful?”

“Yes,” she whispered again and that is when he kissed her ever so softly on the lips.

“Amazing?”

“Yes.”

He kissed her again and when he pulled his lips from hers, he let her hands go. “Now count to ten and open your eyes.”

She counted to ten like he told her and when she opened her eyes he was gone. Just like a magician, he disappeared. “Magical,” she whispered before going into her room.

Johnny leaned up against the door of his room watching her as she walked into her room. He smiled to himself before walking into his own room and closed the door behind him. It certainly was a magical night and hopefully, the first of many.


It was the kiss that was the last thought in Johnny’s mind before drifting back into a dreamless sleep.

While Johnny was fast asleep, Zacky was wide-awake in the study waiting for his uncle to return from his nightly conquest. While he was expecting Nikki, it was Brian who walked through the door.

Brian wasn’t alone either. Felicity and Sabrina, were both giggling as Brian walked with one on each arm. “Well, since when do you stay up past your bed time?”

Zacky shook his head and didn’t bother to respond knowing full well that Brian was drunk.

“Hey, nobody around to warm your bed? I got two, I can share.”

“No, thank you.” Zacky was curt in his reply and clearly not amused.

“Oh, not good enough for you?” Brian was testing Zacky’s patience with every word that came out of his mouth. Everyone knew that Brian was miserable as of late, but no one really understood why. It didn’t seem to matter to him who he offended though.

“That’s right,” Brian said as he scratched his head. “I forgot. You don’t like girls. If you did, you’d still have a wife.”

Zacky got up from the chair and walked over to Brian. He didn’t say a word to him. Instead, he focused on the two girls. “Leave. Now.”

The expression on his face told both of them that he wasn’t kidding and that he wasn’t one to be crossed either. They both backed away and headed for the door. Brian leaned up against the wall and looked at Zacky. “Sorry, buddy. You aren’t my type.” His words were slurred and he had no clue how much he was going to regret saying that.

Zacky punched him in the jaw and Brian fell back against the wall. Zacky grabbed him up by the collar and held him up so that they were eye to eye. “I don’t know what the hell has gotten in to you, but don’t you dare ever speak about my wife like that again.”

Brian was about to respond, but Zacky gave him a look that had him quickly changing his mind. “Go sleep it off.” He shoved Brian away and went back to the chair he was sitting in while Brian disappeared up the stairs.

Although it seemed like only minutes had passed, it was in reality two hours later when Zacky felt himself being shaken awake. When he opened his eyes the first thing he noticed was the hand on his shoulder that had been shaking him.

“Why are you sleeping in a chair and not in your bed?” Nikki asked.

Zacky straightened up in the chair as Nikki took a seat in the chair opposite his. “ I was waiting up for you.”

“For me? Why?”

“I need answers.”

Nikki didn’t have to ask to know what Zacky was getting at, but he really wasn’t sure of the answers himself. “Ask away.”

Zacky reached in his shirt’s front pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. After lighting one, he turned his attention to Nikki. “I know what I saw when I got home, but I need to know what happened before then.”

“I wish I could tell you, but I honestly have no idea.” He looked Zacky in the eyes as he spoke. “I had plans that night and was going to have a drink before I left. So, I went to the study.”

“What happened next?” Zacky asked and blew out a steady stream of smoke from his lips.

Nikki rested his elbows on his knees and folded his hands together. “Fawn was there and so was Luke. It was easy to tell that she didn’t want him there so I decided to sit for a while. Luke was making drinks. He gave me a glass of brandy and Fawn a glass of water.”

“Water?” Zacky gave him a confused look. “There were two brandy glasses.”

“No.” Nikki shook his head. “Fawn had water, that I do remember. Matter of fact, Luke insisted she have it. He said she looked a little flush. I had Brandy and so did Luke, but not Fawn.”

Zacky was becoming increasingly suspicious and the thoughts running through his head weren’t helping.

“I had my drink and I don’t even think I finished it. Next think I knew I was passed out on the floor with Fawn half naked.”

Zacky didn’t know what to say and Nikki was a little uncomfortable. Nikki got up from the chair and set his hand on Zacky’s shoulder. “I’m not that guy. I may have my fair share of girls in my bed, but I don’t go around stealing other guy’s chicks. I certainly wouldn’t have gone after my nephew’s wife. I never touched her. Trust me, I would remember that much.”

Nikki left Zacky sitting there utterly stunned. The regret set in almost immediately. If only he had asked those questions sooner. He refused to even see Fawn that morning. Instead, he had her bags packed and waiting for her. He sent his pregnant wife out into the streets with nowhere to go.

“Son of a bitch.” He cursed himself out loud. The decision was made right then and there. He couldn’t come right out and accuse Luke of putting something in their drinks with no proof. He would have to do something to get Luke to show his true colors and the way to start was to go and get Fawn. First he was going to get some sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Someone's pissed. It's gonna get dark...