Majesty Castle

Chapter 36

“Mind if I join you?” Zacky knelt down in front of the oversized bathtub that Fawn was sitting in. He had the tub made special just for her. She loved sitting in the bath for long periods of time thinking about everything and nothing at all. Now that she was pregnant, it would help ease the discomfort in her back.

“Sure.” She seemed a little unsure when she gave her answer. The situation between the two of them had been uncomfortable since she returned.

Zacky stood up and slipped off his robe.“Sit up a little bit.” When she moved, he got in and sat behind her. Zacky leaned back against the tub and put his arms around her resting his hands on her stomach. Fawn relaxed against his chest and he kissed the top of her head.

“Do you think our baby will be a boy or a girl?” He asked.

“I think our baby will be perfect no matter what it is. I just want it to be healthy.”

“Me too,” he agreed. He ran a sponge down her arm and kissed her shoulder. “I miss you. I’m sorry about all of this.” Fawn didn’t say anything in response. What happened wasn’t his fault. He may have acted hastily after seeing what he saw, but any man would have done the same. “I had dinner sent up. It’s in the other room when ever you’re ready.”

“Ok,” she whispered when he ran the sponge along the back of her neck and shoulders.

Zacky kissed the back of her neck softly. “Helping you relax?”

“Yes,” she smiled and leaned her head back against his chest again. Zacky squeezed the sponge over her chest and let the water run down.

“What about a name for our little one?” he asked running the sponge across her stomach.

“I thought you could pick if it was a boy and I could pick if it were a girl.”

“I like that idea,” he kissed the side of her face and ran the sponge along her thigh. “But maybe we could do it the other way around. I would like to pick the name if it’s a girl.”

“Why?” She asked curiously.

“Well, I would like my daughter to have my mother’s name.”

“Zelene?”

“Yes, it means sunshine.” He closed his arms around her and kissed her shoulder. “Do you like it?”

“I think it’s a beautiful name for a girl.”

“Then if we have a daughter she will be called Zelene.” He smiled overwhelmed by the thought of being a father.

“I don’t want to raise our baby here, Zacky.”

“This is the only home I’ve ever known.”

Fawn turned her head to the side and looked up at him. “This place is tainted. The walls hold so much pain and agony. I don’t want to bring our baby up here.”

Zacky laced his fingers with hers. “Where would you like to go?”

She squeezed his hand softly. “I know a place where we would be welcome, but I’m not so sure you would be fond of the idea.”

“Where is it?”

Fawn sat up and turned half way around and touched his face. “We could go to your father’s house.”

“Fawn I don’t…..” She covered his lips with her finger.

“Our baby is a chance for a new beginning, Zacky. You and Glenn haven’t spoken a word to each other in 12 years. I know he is willing to try for the sake of the baby. Please?”

Zacky covered her hand with his. “How about a compromise?”

“What kind of compromise?”

“Well,” he kissed her hand. “After the baby is born, we’ll visit with my father for a few days. If things go well, we’ll do it again. Maybe once things have started to feel normal between him and me, then we can talk about living with him again. Fawn you have to understand, I can’t just walk back into his house and move in like nothing happened.”

“I know. I just want our baby to know its Granddad.”

“It will,” he assured her. “In the mean time, if it makes you feel better, we can go stay at the fort after the baby is born until things settle down with my father.”

“Ok.”

Zacky was relieved that she accepted his compromise. “I’m hungry now, Zacky.”

“Come on.” He helped her stand and wrapped her in a towel. Fawn stepped out of the tub and Zacky did the same. He dried himself off and put his robe back on. When he was done, he helped Fawn into her robe.

“Get settled on the bed.”

While Zacky went to get the dinner tray, Fawn climbed into the center of the bed and sat up against the pillows. He approached the bed with the tray and set it down on the bed beside her.

They ate together and afterwards shared some dessert. They spent the rest of the evening alone in their room continuing their casual conversation while Zacky massaged her back.

***********

Pippa prepared Roast Beef with all the trimmings for dinner. Around the table, the entire family sat. James and Nina sat down at the end with Peter. Peter seemed to be listening intently to Nina while she told him about everything her and Candace had done so far for the up and coming wedding. It seemed to him, for a female who never had a formal education, she was very smart. He made a mental note to himself to let Pippa know what a remarkable job she did as a mother.

Johnny didn’t come down for dinner. Etta went home after he dismissed her and he locked himself away in his room.

Matthew and Allegra ate quietly, but words didn’t need to be spoken between the two of them. Their feelings radiated off each other. Allegra stabbed a fork into one of the baby carrots on Matthew’s plate and put it in her mouth while he spoke to Brian. He could see her out of the corner of his eye, but didn’t say anything.

Rosalie looked positively disturbed. When Matthew did finally turn his attention back to his plate, Allegra took a sip of water looking oh so innocent. “Now, how did that happen? I hate vegetables and magically my carrots are all gone.” He brought his face close to Allegra’s and her eyes widened. “Did you eat all my carrots?”

“Yes,” she giggled. He smiled and kissed her on the nose. Matthew took her hand under the table and returned to eating his dinner.

The random conversations around the table continued throughout dinner and when everyone was finished eating, Pippa served dessert and coffee.

“None for me.” Simone took her napkin from her lap and set it on the table.

“It’s blueberry, it’s your favorite,” Pippa reminded her.

“I don’t want any dessert.”

“Simone, you’ve hardly eaten anything at all since you’ve been home. Have the pie, sweetheart.” Jon tried, but nothing he said could bring back her appetite.

“I think I’m going to go to bed.” She rose from her chair not giving anyone a chance to protest. Simone left the dining room and Brian’s eyes were at her back as she left. What he wouldn’t give to be her hero again.

After dessert and coffee, everyone took their leave of the dining room. Everyone except for Brian. He couldn’t take his mind off of Simone. Having contemplated for a few minutes, he finally rose from the chair and headed for the kitchen. He walked through the kitchen door and over to the counter that Pippa was cleaning.

“I was wondering if there’s any more…”

“Pie?” She winked and held up a plate with a slice of blueberry. Brian sighed and curled his lips in a half smile as he took the plate form her. Pippa gave him an all-knowing smile as he walked out of the kitchen towards his destination.

The sound of voices caught his attention and stopped him in his tracks. Rosalie was walking down the hall towards the basement with Luke following close behind. Curiosity got the better of him and he followed the two of them.

Brian walked the long corridor of the basement towards the room where he could hear them talking. They were in Matthew’s piano room. He hid behind the door in the storage room adjacent to the piano room so he could eavesdrop on the conversation.

“Have you given any thought to my offer?” Rosalie asked.

“Yes, as a matter of fact I have.” Luke replied.

“And?”

“And I’m afraid I can’t decide. You see the money you offered is generous, but I want more than money, I want something else in return.”

Rosalie laughed. “And what might that be, Luke?”

“Well, just like you want me to make Allegra disappear, I want someone to disappear too.”

“Who?”

“I want Fawn gone. Not just gone, I want the baby out of the picture too.” Luke’s voice was dripping with malice with every word he spoke.

“Trouble in paradise?” Rosalie asked.

“That is none of your business. It’s all a matter of how badly you don’t want your son to have that wretched little girl for his queen.”

“I’ll admit, I made a mistake in picking Allegra. I was under the impression that she came from good stock. I was never more wrong. I have however, already picked out her replacement, one that would do much better serving as queen than that little witch. She isn’t as pretty as Allegra, but Matthew will get over that soon enough.”

“It’s an eye for an eye Rosalie, so what’s it gonna be?”

“Dear Luke,” she laughed. “I think you’ve got yourself a deal or should I say an eye?”

“A deal it is.”

The two of them walked out of the piano room and past Brian hiding behind the door. What he heard had made him sick to his stomach. It would seem that Zacky’s thoughts about Luke being up to something were pretty accurate, but he never would have guessed Rosalie would be involved.

Brian stepped out from behind the door and there she was. Sitting right there on top of a bunch of old boxes. Annabelle. The day Simone lost her little pal was heartbreaking to watch for all of them.

“But daddy, I can’t leave without Annabelle.” Simone stood in the foyer in a mess of tears and sobs.

“Simone, I’ll buy you another doll. Now, we have to go. It’s time for you to leave for school.”

“No! I want Annabelle.” She stamped her feet in an attempt at throwing a tantrum. Jon had everyone in the house looking for her doll, but everyone came up empty.

“Simone you stop that right this minute!” Rosalie grabbed her daughter by the shoulder and shook her hard. “Your stupid little doll is gone! Now get going with your father.”

Jon took her hand and walked her out the door as she cried hysterically. Annabelle was never found.


“Oh Rosalie, you are going to pay dearly. By the time I get through with you, you’ll wish you were dead. That is if you are still alive.” Brian said the words out loud to himself and left the storage room taking Annabelle with him.

What he had heard only minutes ago needed to be shared with Matthew and Zacky, but there was only one place he was going right now. He didn’t bother to knock when he reached Simone’s door. He knew if he did she would probably slam it in his face and he wasn’t in the mood to wear blueberry pie as an accessory.

He turned the knob and slowly opened the door. He heard her soft sobbing as soon as he walked through it. She was in her bed with the lights off on her side as he usually found her when she was in her bed. He walked over to the dresser and set down Annabelle along with the pie.

The curtains on the window blew wildly against the wind. Brian walked over and closed the window then stripped down to his shorts and walked over to her bed. She didn’t stir when he climbed in beside her and put his arms around her. She didn’t flinch at his touch either. Instead, she turned in his arms and hid her face in his chest.

“Don’t cry,” he whispered and kissed the top of her head.

“Brian…I…”

“Shhh,” he soothed rubbing her back. “Get some sleep, you’re exhausted.”

“It’s so cold in here,” she whispered.

Brian got up off the bed and grabbed another blanket out of her closet. He laid the blanket on the bed and climbed back in. “Come here,” he told her as he lay down and opened his arms for her. When she was rested against his chest, he pulled the covers up over the both of them and wrapped his arms around her. “Better?”

“Yes,” she whispered.

“Close your eyes and go to sleep, I’ll be right here.”

In the warmth of Brian’s arms, Simone was able to relax and fall asleep. Sleep didn’t come so fast for Brian. He laid awake most of the night fighting the sleep wanting to be alert incase she woke, but she didn’t. When he finally did fall asleep, it seemed like his eyes were only closed for a few minutes when they snapped open again.

Remembering the conversation he overheard with Luke and Rosalie, he didn’t want to leave Simone, but he had to go talk to Matthew and Zacky. Slowly, he tried to slip away from Simone, but was unsuccessful. “Hold me just a little longer,” she whispered against his chest. Brian wasn’t about to say no. He put his arms back around her and closed his eyes. He wasn’t expecting to fall back to sleep, but as tired as he was, that’s what happened.

Brian didn’t open his eyes again until later that afternoon. Simone was still resting comfortably on his chest. “Are you awake?”

“Yeah.” She lifted her head to look up at him.

“I have to get up.”

Simone moved off his chest and sat up. Brian got up out of the bed and Simone watched as he put on his pants.

“It’s freezing in this room. I’ll send someone up to check your heater.” He grabbed his shirt and his shoes and walked back over to the bed to sit down. “I have something that have to go do, but I think we need to talk.”

“Yeah,” she nodded in agreement.

“Tonight, after dinner, I’ll come to you. Ok?”

“Ok.”

He got up off the bed and went over to the dresser. “I brought an old friend to keep you company until I can come back tonight.” He walked back over to the bed and handed her the doll.

“Annabelle!” she covered her mouth with her hand in surprise making Brian smile.

“I’ll see you later.” He grabbed his shirt and shoes and started for the door. “You should go eat something before you get sick.” He gave her a slight wink and walked out of her bedroom.

As Brian passed the doors of Matthew and Zacky, he knocked on both and requested that they meet him in his bedroom. His bedroom seemed to be the best place for a private conversation.

Zacky and Matthew walked into Brian’s room and found him sitting in a chair in the corner of the room with one leg up on an ottoman.

“What’s going on?” Matthew asked having a seat on Brian’s bed. Zacky opted to stand.

Brian sighed and looked back and forth between the two of them. “So, last night after everyone left the dining room, I stayed behind for a little while. I saw Luke and Rosalie heading down towards the basement. I followed them and hid in the store room.”

“What did you hear?” Matthew asked.

“Well for one,” he looked at Zacky. “You were right. Luke does want to hurt Fawn and not just her, the baby too.”

“Son of a bitch!” Zacky was fit to be tied.

“Yeah, only Luke wants his hands clean. Luke won’t be laying a hand on your wife. Rosalie is going to do his dirty work.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Zacky asked. Matthew was both mortified and embarrassed that his mother was even involved.

“I wish I was kidding, but I’m not.”

“So what does Rosalie get in return for doing his dirty work?”

“It’s more of an exchange. Rosalie gets rid of Fawn and the baby and he returns the favor.”

“And just how does he return the favor?” Matthew asked.

“By killing your wife.”

“WHAT?” Matthew stood up and put his hands on his hips.

Brian lit a cigarette and threw the lighter to Zacky who was also waiting to light up. “Apparently your mother isn’t happy with her original choice of your bride. She even went so far as to say that she has someone else in line to take Allegra’s place.”

“FUCKING BITCH!” This time Matthew was shouting.

“Ok, you need to stop yelling because someone will hear you.” Zacky said. He was calmer than Matthew and seemed to be taking this all in stride. “What are we going to do about this?”

Brian shifted in the chair. “We can’t just go out there and call them on it. We have to wait until something happens.”

Matthew spun around and looked at Brian. “So what are we supposed to wait for? One of the girls to end up hurt or dead even?”

“No! Just calm the fuck down. Fuck! We’ll think of something. In the mean time, I would suggest neither one of you let your wives out of your sight.”

Matthew stormed out of Brian’s room letting the door slam behind him. Brian looked at Zacky and shrugged is shoulders. “The man just came to terms with the fact that he loves his wife.”

“Apparently so,” Zacky said as he stood. “Keep your eyes and ears open and let me know if you find out anything else.”

“I will,” Brian nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mostly a filler to set the stage for what's to come.