Majesty Castle

Chapter 44

Matthew cleaned up in Zacky’s room so as not to frighten his wife should she be awake when he returned to her. After cleaning up, he went to the kitchen to see if Pippa had the broth for him that Etta said she would ask her to have on hand.

Pippa looked up when Matthew walked through the door. “How’s our girl?”

“She woke for a little while, but she’s in a lot of pain.” Matthew sat at the counter while she made up a tray for him. “Don’t go though to much trouble, I’m not really hungry.”

Pippa stopped and rested her hands on the counter while setting her eyes on him. “You need to eat. If you intend to have any chance at all at getting the true revenge you seek, you’ll need your strength.”

Matthew smiled at her. “I suppose you’re right, but how do you know that I’m seeking revenge?”

“Child, I see just about everything that goes on around here. I hear just as much. Folks in this house act as though I’m invisible when I’m in the room. I try not to listen to the chatter, but sometimes it’s hard not hear the things they say.”

Matthew was a little embarrassed by the fact that Pippa was treated like she was invisible when in fact she was more family to him and the other guys than their own parents were sometimes. “Well, I’d never look at you as invisible.”

“I know that,” she swatted him with her towel. “It’s your elders I was referring to.”

“Well, I’m going to tell you something just between you and me,” he said plucking a grape from the bunch she set on the tray and popping it in his mouth. “When your daughter marries James, your life will change dramatically. You have no idea what is about to come your way. I can’t say any more than that, but I’ll be happy to say I told you so when it happens.”

She smiled and put a container of broth on the tray for him to take to Allegra. “I’ve known you to be many things, Matthew, but I never known you to not be a man of your word.” She pushed the tray towards him and picked up her wooden spoon. “Now, you go take this tray upstairs and fill that belly of yours. Make sure our girl drinks the broth too. I don’t want to have to use my spoon again!”

“Yes Maam,” he said with a hint of laughter in his voice. Matthew grabbed the tray and went upstairs to his room.

Matthew thanked Etta for staying with Allegra as he set the tray down on the table beside the bed. When she left he sat down on the bed beside his wife.

Allegra looked up at him with disappointed eyes. “You said you would be here when I opened my eyes.”

“I’m sorry, love. I went to go get something to eat. Pippa made some broth for you. Want to try it now?”

“No, thanks.”

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Matthew was feeling helpless.

“Take me away from here,” she whispered as a single tear fell from her eye down her bruised cheek.

Matthew caught the tear with his thumb and wiped it away. “I will. Soon, I promise.” Even if he could take her away from Majesty now, there was no way she would be well enough to travel. He still had the daunting task of telling her about the baby, but for that he would also wait until she was well enough to face it. “Right now, I just want to take care of you until you get better. Want to try some broth for me now?”

“Ok.”

He took the container that Pippa filled and poured some in a cup. “I’m going to help you.”

“Ok.”

He slipped his hand under her neck and lifted her head a little so she could drink from the cup. Allegra sipped slowly and pulled back from the cup when she had enough. “Have a little more for me. The more you drink the faster you’ll heal.” Allegra took another sip from the cup just to make him happy. With the cup now half empty, Matthew set it down on the table.

“If I have to drink broth then you have to eat too.”

He chuckled to himself. “I know. Pippa already threatened me with the wooden spoon.” To make her happy, he picked up a sandwich off the tray and took a bite.

“How is Nightmare?”

Matthew had eaten half the sandwich in just a few bites. After swallowing, he answered her. “He’s doing well. The pitchfork didn’t go to deep and the vet says he should heal just fine. Of course a few apples always makes him feel better. I think he misses you.”

Allegra smiled. “I miss him too. I want to ride so bad.”

He laughed lightly. “Look at my rebel. Trampled by a horse and cant wait to go and ride.”

“He didn’t do it on purpose,” she protested.

“I know sweets, I was just trying to make you smile a little.” He wiped his mouth with a napkin after finishing his sandwich and took a sip from a glass of milk. “Want some milk?”

“I don’t like milk,” she said through a yawn.

He raised an eyebrow at her confession. “Well, there’s something I didn’t know.”

Allegra yawned again and looked up into his eyes. “Why is there a cot in the room?”

“That’s where I’ve been sleeping when I’m actually able to fall asleep.”

“Why aren’t you sleeping in our bed?”

“Too afraid I’d end up hurting you I guess,” he shrugged.

“I’m tired, Matthew,” Allegra said as she was slowly loosing the battle with sleep again.

Matthew got up off the bed and pulled the covers up over her. He kissed her lips lightly and pulled back. “You sleep. I’ll be right over in that chair.”

“It would make me feel better if you laid next to me.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want to hurt you.”

Allegra sighed. “I’m already broken, I don’t think it can get any worse.”

“Ok, but you tell me if I hurt you,” he told her just before taking off his shirt. He removed his pants and draped them over the chair. After he had finished undressing, he climbed into the bed beside her.

“Kiss me goodnight,” she whispered. Matthew brushed his lips lightly over hers and set his head on her pillow keeping close to her while she fell asleep. Soon after, Matthew succumbed to his own exhaustion and fell asleep beside his wife.

**********

Morning came and so did the doctor. He examined Allegra and took the needle out of her arm noting that she would be able to sustain nutrients on her own. He did advise that she not have too many solid foods until she was a little stronger, but also noted that he expected her to make a full recovery. Per Matthew, the doctor didn’t mention anything to Allegra about the baby. He did tell Matthew that he would have to give her an internal examination within the next few weeks to make sure she was healing and that there was no infection. This meant that Matthew was going to have to tell her about the baby sooner then he had planned. When the doctor left, Matthew went up to the room to see what his wife.

“Hey beautiful.” He walked over to the bed and set another tray on the table beside the bed.

“I don’t feel beautiful.”

“You’re always beautiful no matter what. Think you want to try sitting up for a little while?”

“I don’t think I can do it by myself,” she said looking down at the sling on her broken arm.

“Ok, we’ll take it nice and slow.” He grabbed some pillows and cushioned the headboard of the bed for her before gently lifting her up into a sitting position. She winced at the pain, but it didn’t last too long once she was settled. “That ok?”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“I brought you something for breakfast. Pippa made it special just for you. The doctor said you shouldn’t have to many solids yet, but I think one time won’t hurt.” He set the plate on her lap with a slice of apple pie sitting in the center.

“Apple pie for breakfast?” She smiled and reached for the fork with her free hand.

“It’s your favorite and I knew it would make you smile.”

“Thank you.”

While she ate her pie it was easy to notice that Matthew was uncomfortable. “Something wrong?”

“Well, would you be angry if I said I had to go to my cottage for a little while? I was working on something there the day of the accident and I need to go get it.”

“Good,” she nodded swallowing a bite of pie. “Then you can invite Colette to the ball.”

“You’re really serious about me inviting her?”

“Yes, of course.” After having her fill of pie, Allegra set her fork down on the plate.

“Allegra, to be honest after what happened to you, I’m not even sure about going through with the ball.”

A wave of panic washed over her face. “Please, Matthew,” she pleaded. “You have to go through with this. You’ve come so far. Please, I’m begging you to do this. If not for anything else, do it for us.”

“Calm down,” he told her taking her free hand in his. “I didn’t know you felt this strongly about it.”

“Please trust me, Matthew. I promise the night of the ball will change our lives for the better. It’s important to me that Colette be there.”

“Ok,” he nodded. “I’ll ask her.” He kissed her forehead lightly to reassure her. “I won’t be gone long. Simone is going to come and keep you company until I get back.” Allegra rested her head back against the pillows he set up for her against the headboard. “I’ll see you in a little while.”

“I’ll be fine, go.” She could tell by the way he was looking at her that he felt guilty about leaving her. He kissed her softly on the lips and got up off the bed.

“Don’t get into any trouble,” he teased making her laugh before leaving the room.

About 10 minutes after Matthew left, Simone arrived. She gave Allegra a slight smile and sat down in the chair by the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Im sore all over, but I’m alive so I guess that’s a good thing,” she joked trying to make light of her situation, but Simone didn’t laugh. “What’s the matter?”

Simone was a bundle of nerves and it was written all over her face. “Allegra I’m so sorry.”

“For what?”

Simone sniffled back tears. “The day of the accident when you helped me with my trunk, you asked me if I wanted to go riding with you and I said no.” She wiped a few stray tears from her cheeks before continuing. “I can’t help thinking that if I would have gone with you this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Oh no,” Allegra shook her head. “Don’t you dare blame yourself for what happened to me in the stable. I won’t hear of it.”

Simone stifled a sob and looked over at Allegra. “I’m sorry.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry for, just forget it ok. Let’s talk about something happy, like say….. you and Brian.” Simone instantly smiled and her cheeks turned another shade of pink. “I want all of the details so don’t leave anything out.”

“Like the fact that your husband wants to kill him?”

Allegra laughed. “That doesn’t surprise me.”

“Other than that, it’s so wonderful. He’s affectionate and attentive and really listens to me when I have something to say. He loves me and cares about what makes me happy.” Simone’s mood seemed to improve greatly when she started talking about Brian. “I love that he has such a strong presence when he’s in the room. He’s confident and has this little touch of arrogance that is so sexy.”

Allegra giggled. “Yeah, I noticed that.”

“Sometimes I catch myself staring at him,” Simone admitted with a blush. “But there is one thing that I’m a little worried about.”

Allegra narrowed her eyes. “What is it?”

“It’s kind of personal.”

“Oh Simone, we’re going to be sisters, you can tell me anything and it will stay between us. I swear.”

Simone sighed and leaned back in the chair. “If you must know, it’s when we’re being intimate. I don’t think I’m doing it right.”

Allegra smiled trying not to laugh. “I don’t think there really is a wrong way to do it.”

“So, I’ve heard, but I think Brian is trying to be careful. He kind of treats me like I’m made of delicate glass. He told me before we were together that he had very strong wants and needs, but I’m afraid I haven’t met any of them because I don’t know what they are.”

“Maybe he just wants to take it slow for now to see what you can handle,” Allegra offered.

“I don’t know,” Simone shrugged her shoulders and looked down at the floor. “I don’t want to disappoint him, but I know he’s holding back because he doesn’t want to scare me away. I love him desperately and I don’t want him to get bored of me.”

“So take a page from his book,” Allegra said with a sly smile and a wink.

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean is, be confident with a little hint of arrogance. Try being the one to initiate the intimacy.”

Simone laughed as she did when she was nervous. “Sounds easy enough, but that’s also the problem. I don’t know how to initiate it. I usually just follow Brian’s lead which only requires kissing him back.”

“Honey, God didn’t give you hands so you can fold them in your lap. Help him out of his clothes when he comes home. Run your fingers over his body, softly though. You’d be surprised how quickly a man can become aroused by a simple touch.”

“Ugh If you’re talking about my brother, please stop!”

Allegra moved her arm across her stomach as she laughed. It hurt sometimes if she laughed to hard. “Look, I’m sorry if I’m painting a mental picture for you, but try and block it out for a while.”

“Ok,” Simone huffed.

“Now, another thing that turns a man on. You’re lips. Don’t be shy with them. Lips aren’t the only place a man can be kissed you know.”

Simone looked shocked. “Just what on earth are you suggesting?”

“I’m suggesting that Brian is a whole lot of hunky male flesh and you should be exploring every inch of it. Not with just your fingers, but with your mouth too.”

Simone covered her mouth with her hand blushing with embarrassment. “Won’t he think that I’m well….a harlot?”

“Of course he will,” Allegra nodded. “He will also more than likely, love it. There’s nothing wrong with being a harlot in the bedroom so long as it’s only his bedroom.”

“This is so much to take in. I don’t even know where to start.”

“Oh there is one more thing, but I’m speaking from experience so if you don’t want to hear it because of Matthew, I wont tell you.”

Simone squeezed her eyes shut blocking out the image of her brother having sex. “Just tell me and get it over with.”

“Well, you know how much I love to ride Nightmare right?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with sex?” Simone asked confused.

“Nightmare isn’t the only thing I like to ride. Matthew loves it.”

“OH…MY….GOD!” Simone put her hands on her cheeks after they flushed hot with embarrassment. “OK, no more. I think I’ve had enough sex education for one day.”

Allegra laughed so hard she started coughing.

“Are you alright?” Simone leapt off the chair and rushed over to the bed.

“I’m ok. I just over did it a little. Can I have a glass of water please?”

“Sure,” Simone nodded and got up to pour some water from the pitcher into a glass.

Allegra took a sip and calmed the tickle in her throat. “Thank you.”

“Maybe you better rest. I don’t want to feel Matthew’s wrath if you’re worse when he returns than when he left.”

“Ok,” Allegra rested her head back on the pillows and let her eyes close.

What seemed like a five-minute nap was in reality three hours when Allegra opened her eyes again. When she turned her head to the side it was Matthew who was sitting in the chair not Simone. “You’re home,” she whispered.

Matthew looked up from the book he had in his hand and smiled at her. “I told you I wouldn’t be long. You looked so peaceful, I didn’t want to wake you.”

“I feel so tired, Matthew.”

He got up and set his book back in the satchel that he brought back with him and then walked over to the bed to sit by Allegra. “You’re going to feel this way for a little while sweetheart. Do you even realize how badly you were hurt?”

“I suppose the pain is an indication,” she answered.

“If I could take the pain for you, I would.”

“I know,” she smiled. “Did you ask Colette?”

“I did,” he nodded. “She agreed to come on one condition.”

“What is it?” Allegra asked reaching for his hand. He gave Allegra his hand and she laced her fingers through his.

“She will only come if it’s a masquerade.”

“So, we’re going to have a masquerade right?” She said with every ounce of hope in her body.

Matthew laughed and kissed her forehead. “Sure, we’ll have a masquerade.” As if he would ever say no to her.