Majesty Castle

Chapter 48

Allegra heard the door of their bedroom open and loud shuffling about the room shortly after. She turned over and sat up only to see her husband pulling clothes out of their closet and throwing them into a suitcase.

“Wh-what are you doing?” She asked and wiped her wet cheek.

“I’m getting us out of here,” he replied without looking at her.

“Matthew,” she cried and sniffled back another sob. “We can’t leave.”

“We’re leaving, Allegra. I’ve had enough of this place. Now do you understand why I left in the first place?”

Allegra shook her head as the tears silently fell from her eyes. Matthew walked over to the bed and sat down in front of her. “I don’t want you to hurt anymore. That’s all you’ve been doing since the first day you walked into this place.”

Allegra wiped her cheeks again. “Remember when you asked me to trust you, but you said you couldn’t tell me why?”

“Yes,” he nodded.

“I haven’t been honest with you,” she cried.

Matthew reached for her hand and covered it with his own. “What ever it is, it’s ok.”

“No, Matthew,” she shook her head. “I have a secret too and I can’t tell you what it is yet, but I need you to trust me now. We have to stay for the ball.”

He looked at her wondering what she could be hiding and never knowing that her secret was the same as his. “Allegra, I really don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Please,” she begged with tears falling down her cheeks. “It’s only one more month and I promise if you just trust me, you won’t regret it.”

“I do trust you. I’m just worried that this isn’t the best place for you to be right now.”

“I promise, Matthew. After the ball we’ll leave right away and never look back.”

He squeezed her hand in his and nodded. “Ok, we’ll stay til the ball, but as soon as it’s over, we leave.”

“Ok,” she whispered.

He smiled and moved over so that he was sitting beside her and put his arm around her cradling her to his side. Allegra rested her head on his chest just below his shoulder. “It isn’t fair, Matthew.”

“I know, love,” he said stroking her arm. Allegra may look better, but the cast on her arm constantly reminded him of what happened to her while he was off on his mission.

Allegra titled her head up and looked at her husband with eyes lined in wet lashes. “Can we try again?”

He couldn’t tell her the truth that no matter how many times they tried, she wouldn’t conceive again. “Of course we can.” Matthew smiled softly and kissed the top of her head knowing on the inside he just lied straight to his wife.