Majesty Castle

Chapter 54

The champagne flowed freely while the music played and the guests danced the night away. Fun was to be had by all. The girls found it exciting to play the guessing game and try to figure out who all of the guests were. Etta kept Fawn company playing the guessing game while Nina, Allegra and Simone went into the kitchen to play a little game of their own.

“Well, what in the devil are you three doing in my kitchen during a party?” Pippa stood before the three girls with her hands on her hips waiting for an explanation.

Allegra looked over at Simone and shook her head. “Will you just look at her outfit? Pippa this is a masquerade ball not a costume party and you can not go dressed like that!”

“No, mother, I simply wont allow it!” Nina added in agreement.

“What are you talking about? I am the hired help, I’m supposed to be dressed like this.”

“The hell you are,” Simone said.

Allegra walked behind Simone and undid her apron. “There, we can work with the black uniform dress, but the apron has to go.” Allegra threw the apron on the floor and started playing with Pippa’s hair.

“Have you all lost your marbles?”

“I never had any marbles!” Simone answered and took her make up out of her purse and started playing with Pippa’s face.

“Me either mother, you know we couldn’t afford marbles.” Nina started sticking pins in her mother’s uniform dress.

Pippa gave up and let the girls have their fun. About 15 minutes later the girls stepped back and surveyed their work. “I think I’m jealous.” Allegra said.

“Me too, I think I better keep a close watch on my husband,” Simone added.

Nina stepped forward and handed her mother a masque. “You can’t be serious.”

“We are,” Allegra added handing Pippa a glass of champagne. “Tonight, you are part of the family and you will join us as such. We won’t take no for an answer.”

Pippa was a little choked up, but found the words to speak. “I don’t know what to say.”

Everyone turned around at the sound of a whistle coming from the doorway. “Just who is this beautiful creature?” Peter asked.

Pippa blushed. “It’s Pippa,” Simone whispered.

“Well, lovely to meet you Lady Pippa.” He reached for her hand and kissed the top. “Would you honor me with a dance?”

Pippa blushed again and followed him out of the kitchen to the ballroom. Nina let a happy tear fall down her cheek. “She looked so beautiful,” she whispered.

“Yeah, she did.” Simone nodded.

“I swear to you, after tonight, your mother will never wear that uniform again.” Allegra promised Nina and together the three of them walked back to the ballroom to see Pippa having the time of her life dancing with Peter.

“Mind if I cut in?”

Pippa didn’t recognize the man in the masque who stood waiting for a response, but she did enjoy dancing. “Well, my lady, I’m sure I can find another partner, though none will be as beautiful as you.” Peter kissed her hand and stepped aside winking at the man in the masque before he walked away.

The man stepped in to Peter’s place and moved with Pippa in step with the music. She tried to find out whom it was that took her previous partner’s place. When she looked into the man’s eyes, he smiled. “How are you, Pippa?”

“Glenn?” she asked with a whispered breath.

“In the flesh and I must say, this is truly an honor.”

“Well, mercy me, I can’t believe you are here.” Pippa hugged him with all the might she had.

Glenn laughed deeply and hugged her back. “I came back to make good on my promise to you.”

Pippa covered her mouth with her hand as her eyes glassed over. “I always make good on my promises Pippa.”

20 years ago

“The baby is sleeping now my lord. Is there anything else I can get for you?”

“No, Pippa. Thank you. Thank you for stepping in and taking care of my two children. I don’t know what I’d do if it wasn’t for you.”

“Rubbish,” she said picking up Zoey’s baby doll from the floor. “If anyone could pull this off alone, it’s you. You’re a wonderful man and a damned good father and don’t let them rakes you call brothers tell you otherwise.”

Glenn laughed and got up to get his wallet. He took out a five-dollar bill and handed it to her. “What’s this?” she asked.

“It’s a five-dollar bill,” he noted with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“I know that, but why are you giving it to me?”

“Because I want you to go buy yourself a pretty dress.”

Pippa laughed and tried to hand him back the money but he wouldn’t take it. “I have no need for no pretty dress.”

Glenn waived a finger in front of her face. “I insist. Every girl should have at least one pretty dress. That’s what my wife used to say.”

Pippa lowered her eyes. “I’m so sorry about your love, Glenn.”

He shook his head fighting back his emotions. “She used to say that every girl should have a pretty dress because one day a man will come along and sweep her off her feet and give her the life she’s always dreamed of and she can’t sweep him off her feet if she doesn’t have a pretty dress.”

Pippa shook her head. “You’re kind to say such a thing my lord, but no man in his right mind is going to come and sweep me off my feet. The only sweeping that will be going on around me is the broom I’ll be moving across the kitchen floor.”

Glenn held back his laughter this time and took out another five-dollar bill from his wallet and put it in the pocket of her apron. “Buy the shoes too.” He kissed her cheek and moved past her towards the doorway.

While she stood there in shock, Glenn turned back around and smiled at her from the doorway. “Hey!”

She turned to face him and he was grinning at her genuinely. “Mark my words young lady, someday when you least expect it, a man will come along and ask you to dance. When you look deep into his eyes, you’ll know he’s the one and he will sweep you off your feet. That is my solemn promise to you.”

Two days later, Glenn left with his daughter while Zacky stayed at Majesty Castle in Pippa’s care.

“You remember my promise?” Glenn asked her as the guests danced around them.

”Yes,” she nodded and put her hand in her side pocket. When she pulled it back out she held up her palm for him to see the two five dollar bills were folded neatly in her hand. She carried them in her pocket every day since he gave them to her. “I never did get a pretty dress, or the shoes either.”

Glenn laughed and hugged her again before spinning her around.

Allegra stood in front of Peter looking up at him. “You played your part perfectly, thank you for going along with this.”

“It was my pleasure,” Peter responded watching Pippa smile her way around the dance floor.

“Who is that man?”

“That’s Zacky’s father. Pippa took care of Zacky and Zoey after their mother died so I guess she was sort of like their nanny, but I have a feeling after tonight she will be much more than that to their family.”

“Well isn’t that something! Looks like there is such a thing as happily ever after, after all.”

Peter laughed and shook his head. “Those who believe in fairytales are fools.”

“Oh what ever!” Allegra rolled her eyes and walked off to find her husband.

*******

“Matthew!”

The sound of Rosalie’s voice made Matthew cringe. “Yes, Mother,” he said turning around with a forced smile on his face.

Rosalie looked like at him with a broad smile on her face. “I want you to meet someone. This is Miranda, she’s new to court.”

“Nice to meet you,” he said politely while wondering on the inside if this was the girl his mother picked out to replace Allegra. “If you’ll excuse me, I have guests”

“Certainly,” she gave a slight nod.

“Matthew, maybe you could dance with Miranda. You’d like that wouldn’t you, dear?”

“Oh that would be nice,” Miranda said.

In the looks department this girl was nothing compared to Allegra. She was tall, big boned and her nose looked like it had been broken a few times. “I guess one dance couldn’t hurt.” Matthew took Miranda’s hand and led her out to the dance floor. Miranda’s grin was as wide as her hips.

Allegra was looking around the room trying to find Matthew, when Rosalie stepped into her path. “Looking for someone?”

“Yes, my husband.”

Rosalie smiled smugly and pointed towards Matthew. “Take a good look my dear because your rein as spoiled bitch in this house ends tonight.”

Allegra laughed and walked away from Rosalie. Matthew spotted her and gave her a pleading look. “Help,” he mouthed silently as he danced with Miranda and Allegra just shook her head smiling as she made her way to the bar.

At the bar, Allegra picked up a glass of champagne and noticed a woman standing there with her back to the ballroom. It had to be her.

“You made it,” Allegra beamed and the woman turned her head to the side to face her.

“Thank you for inviting me, it’s a lovely party.”

“Now how would you know that if you are standing over here at the bar?” Allegra put a hand over Colette’s arm. “Why don’t you go dance with someone?”

Colette sipped her drink and set it back down on the bar. “I don’t really know anyone here other than Matthew.”

“So what! It’s a masquerade and I do believe that was your very own request. None of the people here know who anyone is. Look over there.” Allegra pointed in the direction of Peter and Colette’s heart started beating fast against her chest.

“How about you ask that Gentleman to dance. He’s a rather good dancer and quite a gentleman.”

They may have all been wearing masques, but there was no mistaking Peter. He was unusually tall with long black hair flowing down to his waist. His chest and arms were muscular and his shoulders were as broad as a lumberjack.

“Maybe later, I want to get used to the room first.”

“Suit yourself,” Allegra said. “If you’ll excuse me, I have to go rescue my husband.”

“Of course,” Colette nodded.

When Allegra walked away, Colette turned to look out at the guests. She wondered which one of them could be her son. Never having seen him, she had no idea what to look for. Was he tall like his father or was he cursed with her petite stature? Were his eyes kind or did he have that intimidating stare like his father? Was he here? Sure she heard stories about the boys from Matthew, but which one was her son? All she knew was that it couldn’t be Johnny because Matthew often said that Johnny was the youngest and her son was the same age as Matthew.

“How goes it?”
Colette looked up at the man standing next to her. He motioned for the bartender and ordered a drink for himself.

“I guess as well as it can for a ball.”

“You new in town?”

“Not really, no. I’ve lived here my whole life.”

“Oh,” He shrugged and picked up his drink. “Do I know you?”

Colette shook her head. “No, I can’t say I know anyone as tall as you.”

He laughed and spotted his girl across the room waiving him over. “Well, gotta go spread the love! Nice meeting you lady I’ve never met before!”

Just like that he was gone. An odd character Colette thought as she watched him skip around the dancing guests til he got to the other side of the room. Was that him?
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to do Pippa some justice.