There's No Sympathy

life - two

I understand that I am a creep; that I stalk him, but I want answers. I would like to know why it is I see these visions of his past; hear the thoughts he thinks to himself; feel the pain he suffers daily. Why is it that I am able to connect with him on such a level?
Biting my lip, I turned my attention away from him just long enough for my friends not to notice that I had been looking his way, again. A tight grip on my hand drug me away from the group I have become accustom to dealing with daily. Every thought flooding me made me feel more and more overwhelmed. Fear striking my person in extreme amounts at just what I have been found out about. Lifting my eyes from the floor to the person pulling me along, my eyes were greeted with a mix of bright blondes and light browns. A soft smile spread across my lips in relief of seeing Melody. She is - without a doubt - the only one in the group that I would actually consider a friend. She actually cares about my wellbeing, and she pays the most attention to how I react to different things; how I feel about different things; my feelings, in general. She is the only one that actually seems Human as she dances along to the beat of a different drummer.
“Okay, spill!” she shrieked in my ear as soon as she came to a halt behind the school building. I averted my eyes from her, not knowing exactly what to tell her. What would I tell her? That for some reason I can access his mind? Yeah, I’m sure that would go over real well. I wouldn’t sound clinical in the least. “Come on, Bev, you know you can trust me.” With a quick nod to let her know that I do - indeed - trust her, I sat down, pondering my options.
“You’ll think I’m insane,” I whispered after a period of silence. Melody sat down next to me instead of crouching in front of me. Wrapping her arm around my waist, she pulled me into her. I wrapped my arm around her in an awkward hug, sighing quietly.
“I promise I won’t. Whatever it is that’s eating away at you isn’t healthy, hun. I want to help.” Pulling away from her I looked off in his direction; he is watching. “It’s okay that you’re gay, Bevereley. I’m not going to treat you any different.” My mouth fell agape as my eyes widened at her words, looking at her as a deer in headlights would. I had never even considered the possibility of anyone coming to that conclusion with the way I have been acting. It makes sense, however. She must just assume I am confused, or that I am afraid of losing the strangers I call friends.
“I promise you I’m not gay, Mel.” Leaning her head on my shoulder, she looked up at me.
“How can you be so sure?” I turned my attention back to him, wishing to know what it is he thinks Melody and I are conversing about.
“He knows.” Melody sat up, looking off in his direction as well.
“Who? Addams?” I nodded keeping my eyes fixed on him; watching his every movement. “What’s he know?” Melody’s tone keeping it obvious she has not the slightest idea what I am talking about.
“Everything,” I whispered so quiet it seemed to be just a brush of wind passing by. Melody furrowed her brows in confusion, switching between watching me and him. My eyes staying on him; waiting for him to give me some sort of sign - anything to answer the questions I accumulate over the period of an hour. He has - after all - seemed to become my life in the period of a month. At first everything seemed to strange, but now it is more of a security blanket to know he is there, even if we have never conversed.
“Why’s he always alone?”
“He’s not.” A genuine smile made its way to my lips with just thinking that I am always there; he is never alone.
Melody looked at me as if I am the oddest of the odd, but said nothing. We just allowed a comfortable silence to overtake us, and that is what I love about her; she knows you will come to her when it is time.
Melody reminds me a lot of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
755 words