Status: Complete. Check out the sequel!!

The Summer Scene

Freedom

My hands stayed glued to my sides, as John’s face kept coming in closer to mine. I was frozen stiff, unable to move and unsure of what he was doing himself. He most likely saw the hesitation in my eyes. He rested his forehead against mine and held my gaze with his enchanting green eyes. My hands trailed up to his shoulder blades where I started to wrap my arms around his neck, he did the same to my waist; wrapping his arms around me and pulling my body closer to his. I moved my head to nuzzle my face in his neck, while he nuzzled his into the top of my head.

He took in the smell of my chlorinated hair and whispered sweetly, “I missed you, kid.” My heart jumped and I tightened my grip on him.

Our moment, of whatever someone would call it, had to come to an end when Halvo walked over and told John that some people where gonna head out. When I first heard Halvo speak I stiffened in John’s arms and he could tell this was very uncomfortable with Eric standing right there. Halvo also looked as awkward as I felt.

“People are heading out, if you want to say bye.” He told us as we unlocked our hold and untangled ourselves from each other.

“Thanks man, we’ll be over in a minute.” John dismissed him, still standing relatively close to me, but neither of us touching.

Halvo walked away with nothing else said.

“Come on kid.” He grabbed my hand in his and my heart leapt. Am I finally his?

After saying goodbye to Max, Tim, Justin, Andrew, Nick, Joel, and the rest of This Century, John and I joined Jared, Eric, Garrett, Rach, Gabi, Kennedy, Pat, and Dana around the glass outdoor table. John took the last of the metal chairs that matched the table and pulled me onto his lap. I noticed Rach and Gabi had small smug smiles when I was settled on him. He had one of his arms resting on the bronze metal armrest, while his other hand was lightly lying on my thigh, trying to be inconspicuous.

The sky was pitch black and stars were shining bright. Dana left at around 2 AM leaving the rest of us to talk amongst ourselves. As the night progressed, we all relocated to John’s room. Piles of blankets and pillows were rested on the chair in the corner of the room. John went to sit on his bed and I took the place next to him.

I looked over at the digital clock on the nightstand and my heart fell, the time of my departure was getting closer and closer. “It’s late, ugh, I think it’s time to go.” I groaned.

“No.” John shook his head.

“Yes. Remember what happened last time?” I asked rhetorically.

“I do. But you’re safe.” He reassured me.

“You said that last time.” I reminded him.

“But this time we’re serious. Jess is covering for you.” he informed me.

“How?” Why would she do that for me?

“You went out with Gabi and Rach for a spa and shopping day, you’ll be back tomorrow when Jess comes and picks you up around 4:30 PM.” He revealed my days events.

“Not bad. I’m impressed.”

“Yeah, we thought long and hard.” He added for little chuckles.

I looked away from John and took noticed to all the pillows and blankets which were now being spread out on the floor by the rest of the guys. “What are you guys doing?” I asked confused.

“Getting ready for bed.” Jared answered obviously.

“This is a sleepover?” my face lit up with happiness.

“Yea.” John shyly replied.

“Fuck yeah, my first sleepover with friends!” I was jumping out of my skin like a two year old who just accomplished the potty for the first time.

Eric looked at me like I was crazy. “Seriously?”

“Yup.” I replied.

“You’re deprived.” John quickly said without thinking.

“I know. You don’t have to remind me.”

“Sorry.” He whispered in my ear.

“It’s ok.” I said softly back.

Everyone spent the next half an hour back and forth between John’s room and the bathroom to get ready for bed.

“Here’s your stuff.” John threw an oversized grey shirt and a pair of black soffee shorts at me. The shorts were mine, but the shirt wasn’t. It was the same grey shirt I wore the last time I slept over here.

I walked back into his dimly lit room and noticed seven sleeping lumps sprawled out of the floor. “They’re out already?”

John was sitting on top of his neatly made bed in a pair of his basketball shorts and a regular white tee shirt that looked amazing on him. “They had more than one beer, I kept them covered.” He told me.

“Typical.” I shook my head and climbed over the covers and sat crossed legged facing him.

“Hey, shut it.” He smiled back.

“So when are you gonna start being able to drive yourself around?” he randomly brought up.

“Next year, hopefully.” I started to answer. “I have my permit now, but I have to wait until I’m seventeen to get my license.”

“Ahh freedom. Sweet, sweet freedom. I remember those days.” He reminisced, resting his head back against the white wall.

“Shut up. You’re still living those days.” I replied. “Oh wait. You really aren’t. You still live with your mommy.” I retorted.

“And so do you.” he countered, looking at me.

“Technically I live in my mom’s house, but no promise that my mother will actually be home. I see her once, maybe twice a week. So I’m practically living on my own and I’m not even the legal age yet.”

“Well maybe you should stay here then.” He brought up again, this time his voice was sweet and serious.

“Nah, I like my freedom.” I told him.

“Me too.”

“Then go get some.” I joked.

“We’re even in the freedom area.” He settled the dispute, pointing his finger at me as he said this.

“How did we get started with this?” I rested my head against the wall, in my new sitting position directly adjacent to John, and then turning it to my left to look at him looking back at me.

“Stating the fact that you can’t drive.” He took his pointer finger and tapped the tip if my nose.

I defended myself, “I can too! Just not here.”

“Well lookey here, I have the most freedom then.” He concluded.

“Fuck you.”

He out of nowhere jumped off of his bed. “Come on.” He looked at me and jerked his head towards the door that led to the hallway.

I didn’t ask where we were going or question him, I just followed him.

He led me into the garage and to his old white Ford pickup truck. He got in the driver’s side and I the passenger seat. We drove in silence, John concentrating on the road and I just letting him lead me wherever.

“Where are we?” I asked as we pulled into a parking garage.

“8123, it’s where we hang out from time to time.” He said.

“A parking lot?”

“Yup. No one ever parks on the top layer, that’s our spot.” He clarified.

“Oh.”

He stopped the car right at the end of the ramp and got out, coming over to my side and opening my door.

“Slide over.” He told me.

I was confused and finally questioned him. “What?”

“Get in the driver’s seat.”

“No.”

“Natalie.” He said sternly.

I scooted over, and clutched my hands to the wheel. Fear was starting to build up. I’ve never been behind the wheel of a car before.

“I can’t drive.” I told him, my voice laced with fear and uncertainty.

“Yes you can.” He leaned over and put the car in drive. “Now hit the gas.” He instructed me.

“No.”

“Hit the gas.” He said again.

“No.”

“Natalie hit the fucking gas!” he yelled at me.

Scared, I obeyed and hit the gas. We went flying forward at a very fast speed.

I saw him smiling through my peripheral vision. “Brake a little.” He said.

I hit the brake hard and we came to an abrupt halt; both our bodies flying forward, but being restraint by our seatbelts.

“Oh my god.” My heart was racing and my head felt like it was spinning. I could feel the adrenaline pulsating through my veins.

“It’s okay. Try again.” He reassured me. “Hit the gas.” Was his first instruction. My foot lightly tapped the gas and we started to move. “Easy.” He placed his left hand at the bottom of the steering wheel to guide me. “Easy. Ok. There you go.” The car was moving gracefully through the lot. “Ok turn to the left, and go around the pole.” We got around the only obstacle in our way; I was feeling a little comfortable behind the wheel. “Now we’re in open space, you can go faster if you want.”

“No. I’m good.” I said stiffly.

“Stop being a wimp.”

“I fucking scared right now!” I yelled back.

“Ok, then brake and collect yourself.”

“If I do that then I’ll get into that habit and I’ll never be able to drive.” I started being a little dramatic.

“Do whatever makes you happy.”

Whatever makes me happy? Those words rung through my ears and the only response that passed through my mind were, You make me happy.

I got the hang of it and was able to go past 30mph. It was coming to the time of sunrise. John and I switched places at the wheel and he drove us to the eastern side of the parking lot and stopped the car. He got out again and I followed him back to the bed of the truck. He helped me up and followed me up there. He first went and sat with his back to the cab, facing the east and I sat next to him. We watched the sun rise together.

We made our way back home by seven and everyone was still sleeping throughout the house. John sat down at the end of his bed and I walked over goodnight to him, and turned my back to leave.

“Where are you going?” he asked a little confused.

“Going to have a sleepover with my best friend Ross.” I replied.

John grabbed me around my waist and fell back down on his back, holding me close. We scooted up so our heads were on the pillows and our bodies under his covers. His arms still wrapped around my waist, my back against his chest. We fell asleep wrapped up in each other, it is the way I think it should be everyday for the rest of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh look! Another chapter because I love all of you!
Subscribe, COMMENT, Review.

<3 Dom