Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

Take Your Breath Away

"Kara, I'm not taking them now," I said, placing the bags in my closet underneath a pile of clothes.

"Why not? Don't you want to know?" She asked, sitting down on my neatly made bed. She laid back and turned onto her side, facing me, propping herself up on her elbow.

"Not now," I sighed, turning back to shut the closet doors. "I hope I'm not, y'know..."

"I know. I hope you're not either."

I sighed and walked over to my beanbag chair, falling onto it. I nestled deeper into it and shut my eyes, hoping I could get a few minutes of rest.

"Rachel," Kara snapped her fingers. I opened my eyes to see her standing right above me, "Wakey, wakey!"

"Huh?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"You were out for about twenty minutes," She laughed, shaking her head.

"Whoa, really? It felt like twenty seconds," I sighed, standing up and stretching. Power naps were the best. I always woke up feeling super refreshed and alive. If I took three hour naps like everyone else, I would wake up and feel like crap. I didn't know why, that's just how I was.

"Yeah, well, Alex called. He said he loves you and he wants you to feel much better," She smiled down at me.

I smiled. I loved how Alex cared so much for me. I didn't love how I was messing around with his best friend behind his back.

It was like I didn't care for him. But I did. Honestly, I did.

I just cared for Jack as well...

"Oh, fuck," I said, snapping myself out of my own thoughts. "Me and Alex's one month is on Thursday."

"Holy, what? One month? It doesn't seem like it's been that long!" She gasped.

I chuckled, "I know right? But it has been."

One month I had been seeing Alex. One month Jack and I have had to sneak around. One month of me feeling so fucking guilty. One month of having the guilt just eat away at me, causing me to lose sleep, lose hair, and lose the respect I had for myself.

"Are you gonna get him anything?" She asked, walking back over to my bed. She plopped herself down and scooted up to rest her back against my wall. My pillows were consequently thrown to the floor.

"Yup," I smiled. "I'm gonna get him a guitar."

"A guitar for a one month gift?" She asked, pretty shocked.

Yeah, a guitar was a pretty serious gift. Maybe a little too serious for a one moth thing. But, I needed to show Alex I loved him. I needed to show Alex that I would do anything for him.I needed to convince myself that I loved him as much as he loved me.

And if buying him this guitar proves that I love him, so be it.

***

"What kind of guitar does he use now?" Kara asked as we walked into Guitar Center.

"Um, I don't know," I shrugged. I was blown away at how many guitars there were. Yeah, it was called Guitar Center but there were so many. So much more than I had expected.

"Maybe I can get him a new acoustic one?" It sounded more like a question than a statement.

I walked over to the counter where a boy, just about two or three years older than me, was standing.

"Hi, can I have a little help?"

***

I kissed Alex deeply as he cupped my face in his hands. Tonight was Thursday night and we were being a cheesy couple and celebrating.

Super, dooper cheesy.

I had learned to control my urges to throw up. They only came at 3AM. It had it's ups and downs. Obvious downside was me getting up practically every morning to throw up before school. The upside? Not throwing up when I hung out with everyone.

He pulled away and smiled at me, "I have something for you."

"Really? I have something for you," I giggled.

He stood up and pulled something out of his pocket before sitting back down. It honestly looked like he was about to propose, but I knew he would never do that.

I held up my finger, signaling for him to wait just a second. I walked over to my closet and opened the doors.

I pulled out his guitar, which was wrapped neatly, and shut the doors, the sounds of the plastic bag from CVS ruffling in the background.

No, I didn't do it yet. I didn't want to find out.

I walked back over to the bed, carrying the gift. I handed it to him and watched as his eyes went wide, "What's this?"

"Your present!" I laughed, watching as he ripped the paper off.

The paper fell to the floor in shreds from him desperately trying to see what I had gotten him.

"Dude, Rachel, I love you!" He said, pulling my face towards his to plant a sloppy kiss on my lips.

I smiled brightly, "I love you, too."

He set the guitar down and handed me a small, wrapped box, "Sorry, it's not huge..."

I chuckled and ripped off the paper. A tiny black box was underneath of all that paper. I opened the box slowly to reveal a small, diamond ring.

My eyes went wide and my mouth opened slightly. I forgot how to breathe for a second.

"Alex...it's...it's beautiful," I finally spit out.

"I'm glad you like it," He chuckled. He grabbed the box from me and took out the ring, taking my hand in his. He slid the ring on my ring finger and smiled at me.

I looked from the ring to his face. They were both beautiful.

I smiled as I felt a happy tear come to my eye. I grabbed Alex by the back of his neck and pulled him in for a kiss. I kissed him softly before pulling away.

"I love you, Alexander William."

"I love you, too, Rachel Marie," He smiled.

We leaned in for a kiss, starting sweet and slow. Things didn't stay that way for long.

Before I knew it, I was lying back on my bed, Alex hovering over top of me.

Tonight was going to either turn out wonderful, or terrible.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit:// take your breath away - youmeatsix.

you know what i love? easy mac.
nomnomnomnom.

also, this chapter was due to boredom, so...it sucks. heh. :|

it's also leading up to something real big though. <.<

so, like always, thoughts, lovelies? <3

x.