Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

About A Girl

Alex's POV

I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly. Today, I was going to talk to Rachel and ask if she could forgive me. I missed spending our nights together. I missed her touch, her giggle when I would say something stupid...I just missed us.

I got out of my car and made my way to the largeprison school. People get treated better in prison than they do here. I mean, they get free food. We don't. Plus, they get free time. And we don't.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I only wanted to think of one thing - how to get Rachel to take me back.

Her reasoning for breaking it off with me was so...stupid. I wasn't hanging all over Lisa. I was told by the principal to show Lisa around. Lisa's a cool girl, yeah, but I didn't have feelings for her.

I walked down the K Hall, looking for her locker. She was always there in the mornings, talking with Jack about something. She would always laugh at something stupid he said, and then they would walk off to class together. I couldn't help but to feel jealous of him. I mean, I'm...or I was her fucking boyfriend and she was hanging out with Jack more than me!

I looked around the hall for her and Jack. They were no where to be seen. I swear to God, if Jack...

"Alex!" A voice called behind me.

I turned around and saw Jack jogging towards me. I flashed a smile at him, "What's up?"

"Have you seen Rachel? I need to give her something," He breathed out. Wow, that's what jogging down a hallway took out of him? He needed to lay off the McDonalds.

A ping of jealousy bit me. What did he need to give to Rachel?

"Don't worry, dude. I just needed to give her her math book back. She left it at my house," He chuckled.

"How did you - "

"You're very easy to read. Just like your girlf - I mean, Rachel," He laughed, covering up his mistake. He thought I didn't catch it, but I did. It's like he was rubbing it in my face.

"I don't know where she is, Jack," I sighed. The one day I had everything planned out, and she's not even here to hear it. Maybe her morning sickness was so bad this morning that she couldn't make it. "Do you wanna go to her house?" I asked, out of no where.

"Uh, sure?" Jack said, unsure of his answer.

"C'mon," I said, walking back down the hall. I wanted to tell Rachel how much she meant to me. And, I wanted to tell her that I would be there for her when the baby's born. No matter what.

I saw Kara walking down the hall in the opposite direction of us. She looked...off, like something was wrong.

"Kara!" Jack shouted, causing her to turn around. She gave us a weak, half-hearted smile before walking towards us. "Have you seen Rachel?"

"No," She said sadly. Her eyes said otherwise. Kara wasn't the best liar.

"Wanna go find her?" Jack asked. He knew something was wrong. Jack could read people, like, really, really fucking well. He just said something along the lines of 'You're real easy to read, bro.' Honestly, it got annoying sometimes.

"I've got to go to class," She said quickly before scampering off down the hallway. Odd.

"Something's not right, bro," Jack turned to me. Concern was spread across his face, like butter on toast.

I looked at him and darted off down the hallway. We needed to figure out what was wrong.

***

I turned down the familiar street that Rachel's house was on. Police cars filed the streets. Something was definitely not right.

"Jack, what happened?" I shouted, panic apparent in my voice.

"I don't know!" He yelled back at me before getting out of my car. He ran towards the house. I cut the engine and followed him.

A police officer stopped him right before he could enter the house, "Son, this is a crime scene. We can't let you pass."

"What's going on!?" Jack shouted furiously at the officer. "What the fuck happened to my best friend!?"

Mrs. Woods appeared out of nowhere, clutching a tissue to her chest. She looked at Jack and I and immediately told the police officer to let us through.

I entered the house and was soon embraced in a tight hug. Mrs. Woods never hugged me.

"Mrs. Woods, what happened to Rachel?" Jack asked as she pulled away from me.

She frowned, "I honestly don't know, Jack."

"Where is she?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows together.

"Again, I honestly don't know, Alex. I went to wake her up this morning and tell her to get ready for school, but she wasn't there. I panicked and called the police," She said weakly. She dabbed her eyes with the tissue she had be clutching to her chest. I felt so bad for her, I really did.

"Well, what do you think happened?" Jack asked. He was seriously concerned about this whole situation.

"I don't know..."

The phone rang and she instantly ran to it, answering it frantically, "Hello? Rachel?"

A sigh of relief escaped her lips. It must've been Rachel. Mrs. Woods put her on speaker and the room went quiet.

"Rachel, honey, where are you?" Mr. Woods asked. Mr. Woods was usually such a strong person, but now that his daughter was gone, he was a wreck. I had never seen him this messed up.

"Dad, I can't tell you because I'm on speaker. I know you guys called the police. And some of my friends are probably there, too," She said, matter-of-factly. She was smart. Or maybe her parents were way too predictable.

"Honey, just tell us where you are!" Her mom shouted into the phone before bursting out into a crying fit. It was heart wrenching to see her family so upset over this and her not caring.

"No, mom. Plus, you can't track me. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere right now using a prepaid phone."

God damn she was really smart. She must've had this all planned out.

"We can find the number of the phone and track it back to where she bought it," An officer whispered to her mother.

"No, you cannot. I bought it under a fake name. It's impossible to find me. Just tell the cops to leave, tell my friends to leave, and I will tell you."

"Rachel, why can't you just fucking tell us!?" Jack yelled. I saw a tear fall down his cheek. Jack had officially lost it.

"Jack...I can't do that," She whispered. Jack had gotten to her.

"Why not?" Jack whimpered.

"Not telling, Jack," She sighed. She wanted to say what was wrong, she just couldn't. I could tell.

"Rachel..." I spoke up.

"Alex?" She asked, kinda shocked that I was even here.

"Just tell us, please?" I begged. I was getting so stressed. I wanted to know where she was and why she was keeping this such a secret.

"Like I told Jack, I can't tell you guys."

Wait, maybe she was so fed up with life here. Maybe, she was so upset with me, that she ran away. No...that couldn't be it...

"No. I'm hanging up now. Alex, Jack, police, this is your last goodbye. Goodbye, I love you all. Try to forget me," She said in a monotonous tone. Ouch... "Mom, Dad, I love you both. I'll talk to you both later. Do not call the police again, or you will never find me."

Her mom continued sobbing into her tissue. She really needed to get another one. That one was all used and nasty...

Her dad just shook his head and got up to leave the room. She had just successfully tore her family apart.

Jack was now full blown crying, grabbing a bunch of tissues and wiping his eyes with them.

Rachel had drove a knife right through my heart. I just couldn't feel anything.

I ran out of the door and ran to my car. I got into my car and just sat there, staring off into space.

How could she just leave us like that? She left without a warning. She had a great family and great friends. Her life was...great.

Maybe she just made her life look great. She never let anyone in enough to really know what went on.

My gaze shifted to her garage. She had no car and her parents cars were left. I thought she took one of her parents, but she didn't. Who could she have left with?

Only one person could know...

Kara.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit:// about a girl - the academy is...

today marks two years since my surgery. i honestly thought i would never walk again. but, hey, i'm walking. who's laughing now? /alltimelowlyricreference.

but, back to mah storeh, i like alex's pov. it's...interesting.

thoughts on my alex pov? do you like it as much as i do? tell me! :D

x.