Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

Walls

I slowly stood up and walked back to the cafeteria.

The loud room suddenly became quiet. People watched as I awkwardly walked back to the table where Alex, Rian, and Kara were sitting.

I sat down and slowly put my head down.

“The fuck you looking at!?” Alex yelled. I’m assuming towards the whole cafeteria, because the room got louder.

I felt Rian start rubbing small circles on my back. I sniffled and sat back up.

“Rae, what happened?”

“He told me to leave him the fuck alone,” I said, choking back tears.

“He’s dead,” Rian growled lowly. The small circles he was tracing on my back made me feel…safe.

“Rian, no. Just leave him alone.”

“Rae, why are you like that!” Kara asked, throwing her arms up in the air.

“Like what?” I asked, drying my eyes with my sleeves.

“You protect him. He wouldn’t do the same for you, sweetie,” Kara frowned a little.

“Yes he would,” I spoke softly.

“No, Rae. He wouldn’t,” Alex said, shaking his head. “He doesn’t love you like you love him.”

I shook my head, not wanting to believe him. Jack loved me. I know he did. He had to…

Everyone fell silent. No one wanted to say anything that would hurt me.

“Rae, you and me are skipping the rest of the day. Let’s go,” Kara spoke, breaking the silence. She grabbed me and pulled me up.

She stopped and told me to stay put. I nodded my head and obeyed and watched as she walked back over to the table.

She said something to the guys and they nodded, getting up and leaving the cafeteria.

“What did you tell them?” I asked skeptically.

“Nothing. C’mon,” She spoke quickly and dragged me out of the cafeteria.

I raised my eyebrows. I wanted to know what she told them really, really badly.

***

“Rae! I brought you here so you would be happy. Not so you could sit like a log,” Kara laughed, swinging on the swing next to me.

I sighed and pushed myself lightly, swinging just a little bit, “Kara, how can I be happy when the boy I’m in love with just told me to stay the fuck away from him?”

“Forget him!” She commanded. “He’s a douchebag.”

I laughed at the face she made after saying ‘douchebag’. She never cursed. And when she did, she always made faces after saying them. It was hilarious.

“Aha! You smiled!”

“Only because you said douchebag,” I giggled.

“It was my face, wasn’t it?” She laughed.

“Yes.”

She laughed and threw a woodchip at me. I leaned down and grabbed a handful, throwing them her way.

She screamed and jumped off the swings, running towards the slides. She ran up the slides and hid in the little tube that connects both sides of the set.

I laughed and ran up after her.

“You better not have woodchips!” She yelled, ready to haul ass if I did have a handful.

“I don’t,” I laughed.

“Good. Sit,” She smiled and patted a spot next to her.

I crawled into the tube and sat next to her, “Meh.”

“Meh?”

“Meh!” I said again.

“So, Rae, tell me something,” She spoke, picking at her shirt.

“Tell you what?”

“Do you like Alex?”

I tilted my head to the side, raising one eyebrow, “Um…random, much?”

“Just answer me.”

“I don’t know. I mean, he’s cute, yeah,” I said, confused as hell. Why did she ask me this? “Why?”

“Hmm…no reason…”

“There had to be a reason. There’s always a reason behind your madness.”

Kara laughed evilly and crawled out of the tube. She slid down the slide and started walking away.

“Kara! Tell me why you wanted to know!”

“It’s a secret,” She spoke, not even bothering to turn around and look at me.

I groaned and slid down the slide as well, following her. I wanted to know what the hell she was up to.

***

I sighed as Kara dropped me off at my house. It was 2:30 – the time I always got home after school.

I didn’t want to go inside and face my father, but I had to.

I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly as I opened the door. An overwhelming scent of chili hit me as I walked inside the house.

“Rae, is that you?” My father yelled from the kitchen.

“Yeah, Dad,” I yelled back, taking my shoes off. I left them by the door and set my bag down by them.

My father walked out to where I was, drying his hands on a towel, “Rae, we need to talk.”

“About what?” I asked, walking to sit on the couch.

“About how late you keep coming home every night.”

“Dad, I’m so sorry about that. Jack and I just lose track of time. You know how badly he needs the help,” I quickly spoke, stuttering out lies.

The phone started ringing and he walked over to get. I let a quick sigh of relief escape my lips.

“Rae, it’s Alex,” My Dad said, handing me the phone.

I raised my eyebrow, curious as to why he was calling, “Sup?”

“I’m coming to pick you up.”

“What? Why are you coming?” I asked, confused as hell. Alex was just a confusing person.

“Because! Just be ready in like, fifteen minutes.”

“Alrighty…Bye” I answered slowly. I pressed the ‘End’ button and handed the phone to my Dad. “Alex is coming to pick me up. I don’t know why.”

“Alright, be home by eleven,” He smiled. Wow, why was he in such a good mood? Maybe Mom and him made up. Good, then maybe he would stop getting drunk.

He’s been drunk the past few days. All because of my Mom. They got into some huge fight the other day about me, I think. It was so stupid. She just left. No note, took no bags…she just left.

“Ok Dad,” I smiled back and happily walked over to where my shoes were. I slipped them on and walked out the front door.

The spring air happily embraced me into its warm and fuzzy arms. Goodness, I loved this weather.

I sighed happily and sat down on the swing that was attached to my porch. I took in all of the scents. Trees, flowers, and sunshine-y goodness.

The sun hit my face and I smiled, shutting my eyes. I swung back and forth, smiling contently to myself. I had almost forgotten the reason I was out here until I heard a car horn honk, signaling for me to get up.

I stood up and made my way to Alex’s car. I noticed a smile on his face as I approached.

He reached over and opened the door for me. How sweet.

A small smile crept onto my face as I got into the silver Audi. Why was I smiling? Was Alex causing this smile?

I looked over at him again. My stomach twisted into knots as he gave me that signature Gaskarth smile. Was I really falling for Alex? No, I couldn’t be.

Alex backed out of the driveway and sped off down the street. I turned to him and stared at him. Dark brown, perfectly messed hair. Deep chocolate brown eyes that could make any girl he wanted fall madly in love with him. That smile…oh God, that smile – the smile that could win over anyone. He was perfect. Why was I just now realizing this?

He glanced at me, “What?”

I felt my cheeks get warm. I guess I was staring at him for longer than I thought. “Oh, nothing…”

He playfully hit my arm and laughed, “Tell me!”

His laugh was amazing too…

His laugh caused me to let out a giggle, “Keep your eyes on the road, Gaskarth.”

Seriously, why was I acting like such a loser? Jack didn’t even have this effect on me.

I shook my head, clearing most of my thoughts. One thought popped back into my head, “Alex, where exactly are we going?”

“Shh, that’s a surprise,” He flashed a cocky grin, keeping his head straight forward.

I groaned and sank lower into my seat, “Everyone’s keeping secrets from me, today. Why!?”

“Because it’s fun to watch you react to the surprise at the end of those secrets.”

I stuck my tongue out at him and sat back up. I stared out the window, really wanting to know where he was taking me.

The colors of the trees flashed by so fast, they blended together.

The anticipation was killing me. I wanted to be there now.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit:// walls - all time low.

meeeeeeeeh, i'll go back and edit this later. i just need to get to bed, haha. :|

check out her stories! :D

so, like always, thoughts? :)

x.