Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

Count 'em One, Two, Three

Rachel's POV

I sighed as I flipped through the channels. There was nothing to watch. Stupid daytime television. I should be in school right now, but fuck that. It was kinda sad to think that I would never graduate high school. No, not kinda sad, really fucking sad.

The phone started ringing and I glanced at the time that glowed on the DVD player. 1:36. Who the hell would be calling at 1:36?

I groaned as I got up to venture into the kitchen to find the phone. It kept ringing, and ringing, and ringing.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I mumbled, trying to find it. Finally, I found it under a pile of newspapers. Who still reads the newspaper anyway?

"Hello?" I mumbled, looking down at my hand. The ring sparkled under the fluorescent kitchen lights. I knew I wanted to fucking forget my past, but I couldn't bring myself to take the ring off. It was just too pretty.

I heard someone gasp on the other line, then someone shouting for someone to pick up the phone. What the fuck was going on?

"Look, if you're some asshole prank calling me, I will hunt you down, and rip your balls off," I said. The past three days, someone had been calling me and pranking me, asking me all this stupid, pointless shit.

"Pick up the fucking phone!" Someone shouted. Wait, that voice sounded so familiar...

"He - hello?" Someone stuttered.

"Hi?" I said, sounding more like a question more than statement.

"Give me the fucking phone."

"No!"

"Who the fuck is this?" I asked, getting irritated. Whoever it was, was interrupting my quality TV channel surfing time. Who was I kidding? TV around this time fucking sucked. Maybe I would go on Pete's laptop after this...

"Rachel, we miss you, oh my God! Please come home!" The familiar voice screamed.

Oh. My. Fucking. Christ.

"Jack?!" I screamed, dropping the phone. I wanted to smash the phone to bits. How did he get my number!?

"And Alex!" His voice echoed through the phone. No. No, no, no! This wasn't happening.

I slowly bent down and picked up the phone. I pressed it against my ear slowly, as if it had a disease on it. It might as well had one. The disease I couldn't get rid of - Jack and Alex.

"Ho - how'd you get thi - this num - number?" I finally spit out.

"I stole it from Kara's phone," Jack said, probably smirking. What a dumbass.

"Hi Rachel..." Alex's voice piped up. He sounded so upset and nervous. Jesus Christ, he needed to grow up and move on.

"Stop fucking calling me. I'm never going back - "

"You need to come home!" Jack screamed.

"I am home, Jack," I said, instantly regretting it. They would definitely know where I was now.

"California is not home, Rae," Alex whispered. California? He thought I was in California? Oh! Kara and I had agreed that that is where she would tell them I ran to. I guess they bugged her enough for her to have to use that.

"It is now, Alex," I spoke softly. "Seriously, though, stop fucking calling me. I'm getting sick of it. So are the people I live with."

"I've only called you once..."

"Once too many, Alex."

"Who do you live with?" Jack gasped.

I couldn't take it anymore. I hung up the phone. If they tried calling again, I would have Patrick change the number.

I sighed angrily and walked into the living room, grabbing Pete's laptop on the way. I sat on the couch, folded my legs, and rested the laptop on them.

I opened it and a blue screen popped up with a password requirement. Ugh, fuck that. I tried guessing. I mean, how hard would it be to guess a twenty-five year old dude's password?

*

Three hours later, and I still had no fucking clue what the hell his password was. The hint was barely a hint. I mean, what the hell was "llukstrab"? I was fucking stumped.

I heard the front door open, then shut. Someone was home. Pete walked into the living room, raising his eyebrow when he saw me with his laptop.

"Don't worry, I didn't get into it," I said, shutting it. I gave up.

"You're that stupid?" He asked, sitting down next to me. He took the laptop from my lap, and placed it on his. He opened it back up and typed in his password. "Bartskull."

I stared at him with a blank expression, "Are you fucking kidding me? Three hours of trying to figure it out, and it's bartskull? Oh my fucking God."

He laughed and handed it back to me before ruffling my hair. Great, now my hair was even messier than it was before.

"I'm such an idiot," I chuckled, clicking on the internet icon. The internet popped up and I immediately typed 'myspace.com' into the little bar.

Myspace popped up and all I saw was a bunch of friend requests, new photo comments, and new messages. Pete was still logged into the Fall Out Boy myspace, which meant, I could access it. Fucking awesome.

I went through their friend requests. Dear God, some of the girls were so slutty it was ridiculous.

"I hate band sluts," Pete said, taking a bite out of a sandwich. Wait, when did he get up and get that sandwich...

"I do too," I said, returning my gaze back to the screen. There were so many of them. It was like an epidemic. "So, you guys actually go through all of your requests and accept and or deny them?"

"Mhmmm," He replied, his mouth full of food.

"Aww, that's cool," I smiled. They took the time to acknowledge their fans. Sweet.

*

After two hours of lurking the internet, I had shut the laptop and cuddled into Pete. I loved how warm he was, how he smelt, and how he always wrapped me in his arms protectively.

"Pete?" I asked, looking up at him.

"What?" He asked, not bothering to take his eyes off the TV.

"Nevermind," I mumbled. If he wasn't going to at least act like he was interested, I wasn't going to ask him anything.

He sighed and put the TV on mute. He looked down at me, "What?"

Shocked, I stumbled around my brain for words, "Oh, I - you're - you're actually paying attention to me?" I finally spit out.

"Why not?" He shrugged.

"It's just...my friends would've blown that off. I'm just surprised," I said, looking down at the ring on my finger. Why the hell was I bringing them up?

"Well, I'm not one of your friends back home, am I?"

"No...I guess you're not," I said, sorta trailing off a bit.

"What did you want?"

"Thanks," I smiled.

"For?" He asked, raising his eyebrow. He was obviously confused. I don't blame him though. All I said was thanks.

"For everything. I know we've only known each other for a week, but right now, you're my best friend," I said quietly, looking down at that stupid ring on my finger again. I pulled it off, throwing it across the room. I didn't want it anymore.

"You're welcome, Rae," He smiled. "By the way, if Jess finds that ring, she's gonna think Patrick's planning on proposing to her."

I laughed and shook my head at the thought, "Yeah, right."

"Dead serious."

I rolled my eyes, not believing him, "Whatever."

"Rachel?"

I pulled away from his grasp and looked at him straight on. He was now sitting there, looking down at his hands.

"What, Pete?"

"Nevermind," He said softly.

"Tell me," I smiled. "I swear, you can tell me anything."

He sighed before running his hand over his face. His fingers ran down his face, pulling his skin down slightly. I chuckled lightly.

"I'm just really glad I met you."

"Same here, Pete," I smiled at him. We both sat there, staring at each other for what seemed like an eternity before gravity started to pull our faces closer, and closer. My breathing hitched in my throat as Pete's face was only an inch away.

Before we could do anything, Pete cleared his throat and sprang up from the couch. He ran out of the room and I heard his footsteps running up the stairs. My breathing became normal again as I sank backwards into the couch, thinking about what almost happened.

What the hell almost happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit:// count 'em one, two, three - the maine.

oh SCHNAP. O:

story timeeeeeee:
so, i took my nephew to see despicable me (soooo good, btw!) yesterday, and the looks i got were so...evil. everyone thought i was his mom. wtf. i feel sorry for actual teen moms, because of the way people just, like, glared at me. jesus. people are so rude.

anyways -

i love that. hahahaha.

thoughts? (:

x.