Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

Safe Ride

Alex's POV

I walked down the halls of school with my head held high. Things were gonna be different. So different. I wasn't gonna mope around and drown myself in self-pity. I was gonna do things. I was gonna go places.

"What are you so happy about?" Kara asked as I sat down at our regular table we sat at in the mornings before class.

"Did someone get laid last night?" Jack laughed.

"No, you dick," I laughed. "Fresh start. I'm not gonna dwell on the past anymore."

Kara's smile stretched from ear to ear. "Yay, good for you, Alex! I'm proud. Rachel would be, too," She said the last part softly.

"I know," I whispered, looking down at my hands. I took off my ring last night. My hands just looked so bare. But I couldn't dwell on that fact. I had to just write all those feelings down. That's how I started dealing with it.

*

I stared down at my journal. I had to finish this song. I wanted something to work on this weekend with the guys. I wanted something that would make Rachel proud.

"Lipstick has a way of leaving more than just a mark on my sheets, coloring my senses cherry red; at least for this week...
Kisses under starry night skies, talked about in song.
We play along, so bitter sweet by our design.
I'm sick and tired of writing songs about you.
This is it, this is the end..."


This was so obviously about Rae. I didn't know if I could show it to the guys.

I sighed and shook my head. Jack came strolling into the class ten minutes late. As usual. He came and sat in the empty desk next to mine.

"Hey, bro," He said, pounding his fist to mine.

"Mr. Barakat?" Mrs. Sihmon said, looking up from the papers she was grading.

"Yo'!" Jack yelled, his head snapping in her direction.

"Do you have a pass for being tardy?" She asked and all heads turned to Jack, awaiting an answer.

He itched the back of his neck slowly, "Yeah, about that. Um, I don't have a pass because, uh, there was this wild pack of wolves in the hall and I had to fight them off with just a rusty old...uh...spork...and then, like, these flying monkeys came out of no - "

"Enough, Jack. Detention after school today," She said, rolling her eyes.

The class was giggling at Jack's stupid as fuck story.

"Wolves? Really, Jack?" I laughed, smacking him upside the head with my notebook.

"I should've just told her I was jacking off in the bathroom," He shrugged.

I laughed and hit him again, "You were not in there jacking off!"

"Totally was," He winked. "So, while I was pleasuring myself, what were you doing?"

I shoved my notebook onto his desk. He read what I had written, then looked up at me, "I thought you said fresh start. 'No more dwelling on the past' or some shit like that."

I grabbed my notebook off his desk and sighed, "Writing is the only way I can let go, Jack."

"Whatever...uh, put something in there about no longer dwelling on it," He said, pointing at the book as he grabbed a pencil out of his backpack to make it look like he was doing something.

That was a great idea. I mean the not dwelling on it anymore, not the pencil thing.

I scribbled down something.

"Take off your makeup and put down the camera.
Choke on the drama that makes me want to tear up the pictures, the pages you've saved, creating a life of trends and make believe...

I've got no place in my heart for a criminal like you to dwell.
In this endeavor, make this last forever...
I'm just delirious.
You can't be serious.
You're so infamous for leaving me a mess..."


I put the notebook on Jack's desk, smiling, "What do you think?"

"It's good, dude. As long as you're getting over her, I don't care," He shrugged.

I laughed and grabbed my notebook out of his hands.

"Jack, the answer?" Mrs. Sihmon asked, causing Jack's head to snap up.

His eyes were wide as he stuttered something out, "Uh, I, uh...seven?"

She sighed as the class erupted into laughter. "Jack, this is Biology, not Math. Pay attention," She scolded.

He rolled his eyes and put his head on his desk, completely ignoring her. He faced me, his left cheek smashed into the side of the desk. "I hate you," He mouthed at me. He looked so ridiculous.

"I didn't do it," I mouthed back. I shook my head and turned my attention back to my notebook. I kept writing. Anything that helped get over her...

"Repeat that..." I mumbled to myself, pointing at a certain portion. I rewrote it, then scribbled down something else.

"Take off your makeup, put down the camera.
Choke on the drama that makes me want to tear up the pictures and pages you've saved, creating a life of trends and make believe...

She gets what she wants, and she breaks what she gets.
Get out while you can or she'll tear you to pieces.
Are you having a good time sweetheart?"


Repeat the chorus...

"Take off your makeup, put down the camera.
Choke on the drama that makes me want to tear up the pictures and pages you've saved, creating a life of trends and make believe..."


I felt my hands begin to shake and my breathing started to become shallow as I thought about her. I knew I needed to get over - and I was trying my absolute hardest - but it still hurt. It would always hurt no matter what.

"Carry on home.
I'll be waiting miles and miles away, leaving you to be forever seventeen,
cleaning up the messes that you've made..."


Done. I was done. This was an easy song. It just came to me. I'd run it by the guys later at band practice. We'd figure out how it should sound.

I couldn't wait for tonight.

***

Rachel's POV

Four AM. I stumbled down the stairs and immediately stopped when I heard Jess and Patrick talking.

"I just don't think Pete and her are going to last very long," Jess whispered, taking a bite of her sandwich.

They were talking about me. Why were they talking about me? How had my relationship with Pete pop up into conversation?

Also, what the fuck were they doing up at four in the morning? Pete wasn't even up.

"I know, I know. I feel like as soon as this kid comes along, Pete's just gonna dump her on her ass," Patrick sighed.

"Seriously. Either that, or when Rae goes back to school, she'll find some other dude and crush Pete."

"I don't know about that. You know, she loves him."

Jess choked on a bit of her sandwich. "I'm sorry, but...what?" She coughed out in complete shock.

Patrick covered Jess' mouth with his hand, shushing her. "She told him she loved him, like, three days ago."

"What the fuck, she never told me!" She exclaimed, removing his hand from her mouth. "Why didn't she tell me?"

"She's worried about your reaction. She's just afraid you'll, like - "

"Love is such a strong fucking word! They've only been together for a fucking month. Rae is seventeen! She doesn't know the meaning of love! Pete, on the other hand, is twenty-five years old! Soon he'll be twenty-six! He should fucking know better," She whisper-yelled at my poor cousin. He was sitting there wide-eyed. He honestly looked a little scared of her at the moment.

I would be too, if I were him. That's why I didn't tell Jess. She'd fucking chew my head off.

Jess continued her rant, saying, "I've sat back and let them do their thing, thinking, you know, they're not going to last much longer. And this shit happens. Trick, they can't see each anymore. I don't fucking care how happy they are, they - "

"Hey, hey, hey, Jess, baby, calm down. They're happy, okay? Pete's happy as hell. He's the fucking happiest he's been in months. I'm not saying I agree with the age gap and all that shit, but I am saying I agree with their happiness. Can't we let Pete have one thing in life
that makes him so happy?" Patrick explained to Jess.

I smirked. That's my cousin! Sticking up for me and whatnot! I wanted to cheer and run into the room and hug him, but I stayed firmly pressed up against the hallway wall, completely out of sight.

"I don't care. It's not right, Trick."

"I know it's not. She's my baby cousin, Jess. How do you think I feel? I'm not exactly a ball of fucking sunshine and daisies about it."

Trick just lost some cool points.

Silence.

"I'm worried he's gonna take advantage of her, Patrick," Jess sighed after a long interlude of silence.

"I know Pete, and he would never do that," He said softly, getting up and walking into the living room.

Cool points returned.

I bolted up the stairs and into my room. I crawled back into bed with Pete, instantly cuddling into him.

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my waist. I kissed his cheek as he pulled me closer. Which wasn't that much closer because of my stomach.

"I need to talk to you," I said as he pulled away.

"About?" He asked sleepily, sitting up a bit. I sighed and did the same. I turned on the lamp and looked at him. His face had worried painted across it.

"Jess just said she doesn't want us to be together anymore," I spoke softly, my voice barely a whisper.

"What? Why? Did she say it directly to you?" He asked, sitting up all the way. The blanket fell from his chest, exposing his tattooed body...

I wanted nothing but him right there. He looked so...amazing. And so fuckable.

Stay focused, Rae!

"Nope. I heard her talking to Patrick about it," I squeaked. Yes, thoughts of me and Pete were currently clouding my mind. I knew I had to push them back. I couldn't.

"What'd she say?" He pressed.

I sighed, "She said she doesn't want us together anymore. She hates the fact we said we love each other. She hates our age difference. She just hates us."

He pulled me close to him, crushing me in his arms. He kissed the top of my head and whispered, "We don't have to live by their demands. They can say that we're not gonna make it. We can prove them wrong."

"I love you, Peter Lewis."

"I love you, too, Rachel Marie."
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit://safe ride - cute is what we aim for. <3

FILLER.

this update is due to a combination of boredom and a random bit of inspiration. i was listening to my ipod earlier and safe ride came on shuffle and i instantly thought of this story! so, this chapter is inspired by safe ride~

also omg the next chapter i will put it up tomorrow if i can get lots of feedback! :3 and then omg after that chapter, things happen. big things happen. wanna guess? :3 do it. do it. do it!!! :33333

lol so yeah. i love you all. <3

x.