Status: Active

I Only Had Eyes For You

Chapter 1

April 16, 2010

I remember the first time I saw you. I don’t remember the exact day now; just that it was the beginning of September. It was the first time since school started that I actually went to a party I was invited to. I didn’t know anyone worth impressing, so I didn’t try to look cute. But that’s when I didn’t know you.

I was one of the first people to show up, like usual. I hated being at home, so as soon as I got the text saying there was a party, I asked for directions and went out my window.

As more people started to show up, I started to recognize some from last year. I heard someone call my name. I turned around and then I saw you. No, it wasn’t you calling for me, but the guy standing next to you. I knew him from last year and I came over to say hi. He introduced us.

It’s funny when I think about it now, but it wasn’t really then. I always liked your name, even when it belonged to the kid who lived down the street. I kind of had a crush on him, too, even though I was only seven or so when his family moved away. Every time my neighbor came over, I asked him his name because I couldn’t remember it. The first time I met you, I forgot your name.

A few days later, I got another text. It was an invite to another party. And again, I went out my window.

I had forgotten you might be there, until I was walking in the door. You weren’t there yet, it was still early. I started to let loose and have some fun. I remember being asked to be partners for beer pong. I said yes, but I warned him, I wasn’t very good. It was my turn to shoot, but I had been texting a friend. I looked up from my phone, shot, and started to reply. The ball went in the cup. Everyone clapped. I looked around at everyone and smiled. We won that game.

This was the day everything changed. When you walked in, I recognized you and went over to talk. I tried to remember what you said your name was, but I couldn’t. I looked silly, I’m sure, spitting out a few random names that I thought could be yours. I was wrong.

Eli. It’s really not hard to remember. Just three little letters.

I excused myself. I needed a smoke break. Little did I know, you smoked, too. You followed me up the stairs and we went outside. There were a few other people there and we talked to them for a while. A few remembered me from parties I went to last year. We talked to them for a while before they went back inside.

This is the part that confused me. We stayed outside. And we just talked. About random things, our likes, our dislikes, everything. I thought you were destined to be my best friend. I was probably looking too far into things.

I told you about the fist size bruise on my arm. I got it by climbing through a basement window and falling into a chair. You didn’t believe me.

That night, I got your cell phone number. I was texting you as I walked home from the party. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and ran into a fence. I told you this and you laughed at me. I wasn’t surprised by this at all. Remember, I thought you were my new best friend? Best friends are supposed to make fun of each other. That’s what they do. It’s the job they have that they don’t get paid for.

I crawled into bed that night and dreamed of you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be nice. Yes? :]