The White Rose

Chapter Nine: A New Leaf

Adam stepped out of the shower with just a towel wrapped around his lower torso. Another smaller towel was being used to dry his short, blond hair. The smaller towel was then thrown into the bathroom hamper as he walked by and towards the foggy mirror. Adam used a hand to wipe some away so he could look at himself. And, honestly, he didn’t like what he saw. What had he become? A lonely, angry man, who hits women? Was this how he wanted to live out the rest of his life. What life? he thought as he thought of that last white rose in the garden. He narrowed his eyes at his reflection. He was disgusted. And what had brought on this sudden disgust?

Isabel.

The woman that had forced her way into his life. Isabel wasn’t like any other woman, or person for that matter, that he’d met. Unlike the others she challenged him. She wasn’t afraid to stand up for herself and tell him outright how she felt. And, for some strange reason, he liked it. Woah, hold on there. Like? Where did that come from? Adam shook his head as he turned away. He needed to stop thinking so much. It was leading him into places he didn’t want to go.

Adam quickly dressed and left his room, shutting his door quietly. Right now wouldn’t be a good time to run into Isabel. Not with the way he was currently thinking. Adam walked down the hall, down to the second floor, then stopped. Where was he to go? Just then he heard footsteps coming down the stairs and he hastily made his way to the living room. He then stopped. What was he doing? Was he really hiding from Isabel? Why should he be afraid of her.

With his mind made up Adam turned around then jumped in surprise. There was Isabel standing right behind him.

“Mr. Richardson, are you okay? I didn’t scare you, did I?” Isabel asked.

“Ah, no. No,” he said as she straightened his top. “You just caught me by surprise.”

“Oh, okay. I actually have been looking for you. I think we need to talk about everything that happened last night. I think-”

“Isabel,” he interrupted, “I apologized. I know what I did wrong. I should have never slapped you. I-”

“Mr. Richardson, it’s fine. I accepted your apology this morning, remember?”

“Oh, right. Yes I remember.” He cleared his throat. “I’m sorry I interrupted you were saying?”

But she didn’t speak right away. For some reason he was acting very strange. The difference between yesterday and today was like night and day. There was no annoyance on his face. No harshness in his voice. It was like he cared. He looked at her questioningly and she blushed a bit.

“Yes, like I was saying. After the events of last night and much thinking I’ve come to the decision to quit working for you.” She put up a hand when he opened his mouth. He quickly closed it. “I can’t work in this condition. When the storm is over I’ll promptly leave. I’m going to find another job and send the money over to you that way. I can’t stay here any longer than I have to.” Isabel felt good to get it all out with a firm tone. She was completely nervous on the inside.

“Well, if that’s your decision then I have no problem with it. If you would like to leave then you are free to do so. It’s not like I own you or anything like that. What?” he asked as she just stared at him.

“It’s just that… well compared to last night… you’ve…”

“Changed?” he guessed.

“Well, yes.”

“Yeah, I guess I have. You know, the whole new leaf thing people say,” he said as he scratched the back of his head.

“Oh,” she nervously chuckled. “I’m sorry for being so shocked but as long as I’ve known you, you’ve never acted this way. No offence,” she quickly added.

“You’re right though. It’s just that some…” he shook his head. “Never mind.” He wanted so badly to change the subject and finally noticed her clothes. “You’re still wearing those?”

Isabel crossed her arms and sighed. “Yes, Mr. Richardson. It’s not like I brought extra clothes with me.”

He suddenly had an idea. “Come with me,” he said as he dashed out of the room.

She followed behind as he went up the stairs and down the hall. He finally stopped right in front of a room she recognized. It was the one she was told to never go in when she first started working there. It was his mother’s room.

Adam opened the door and gestured for her to follow him inside. She hesitated at first then stopped inside. The room was big, as to be expected, and all of the furniture was covered in white sheets. There was dust everywhere. He bypassed all of this and went directly to the closet. He opened it up to reveal beautiful dresses in many colors then turned to face her.

“Mr. Richardson, what are you doing?” she asked as she walked over to him.

“Well, I’m giving you something new to wear. Go ahead and pick anything you want.”

A hand slowly went up to a light blue dress with quarter length sleeves. She touched the soft material and realized just how expensive it was. She quickly drew her hand back. “Oh, I couldn’t wear these! They’re too beautiful.”

“No, go on. I insist.” Adam grabbed the light blue dress by the hangar and handed over to her, but she protested. “Just take it.”

“But, why are you doing this. That’s what I don’t understand.” She pushed the dress back over to him.

“Because you are my guest now.” He pushed it back into her arms and this time she took it.

“I’m your guest?” Now she was really confused. Who was this man and where was the real Mr. Richardson?

“That’s what I said, didn’t I?” he snapped back. “Just wear it, okay?”

There was the Mr. Richardson she knew. She gave out a long sigh. “Okay, if you insist so much.”

A little while later Adam was sitting in the kitchen munching on some bread. He was staring off in space not really thinking of anything. Someone clearing their throat caused him to turn towards the kitchen entrance. He almost choked on his bread. Standing there, with her hands behind her back was Isabel. She was wearing the blue dress and looked absolutely beautiful in it.

“So, what do you think?” Isabel asked. “It’s a little long for me. I guess your mother was taller. And skinnier,” she added.

“Uh, you look…” Beautiful, he wanted to say, but didn’t. “You look good.”

“Thanks, I guess.” She said.

They remained in the kitchen eating what food they could fine that hasn’t gone bad yet. They both were quiet as they sat facing each other. Once in awhile one of then would look up and to the other, but quickly look down again. Clearly, they both had a lot of their minds.