The White Rose

Chapter Four: That Afternoon

“Father, he said it was fine,” Isabel said, trying to reassure her father on the phone that afternoon. “I know that you are worried but there’s nothing that can be done at the moment.”

“I just want you to be careful,” he answered. “I don’t trust that man at all.”

“I know. Please, just trust me. Now, I have to go. My cell is really low on battery and I’m trying to conserve it. I love you dad.”

“I love you too, Isabel. Good bye.”

“Bye.” Isabel ended the call then closed turned of her phone. She was glad that she still received service but the low battery wasn’t welcomed. She didn’t know how many phone calls she had left to make.

She sat now in the living room warming up by the roaring fire. Occasionally the wood would crack or the fire would start dying and she would tend to it quickly. With the cell tucked away in her jeans Isabel grabbed the book that was resting on the arm of the chair and quietly began reading. It was her break time and her favorite activity was to curl up with a good book. It was her time to relax from work.

“Isabel!” Adam’s voice rang out, causing her to wince. “Ah, there you are,” he said as he spotted her.

As he walked over to her she said, “Yes, Mr. Richardson?” She closed the book, making sure to place her bookmark inside.

“I finally located the damn ice chest.” He stopped in front of her. “It was in the basement, that I will now call ‘The Dungeon.’ Damn thing was freezing and dark and damp.”

She nodded. “So, did you get the snow?”

“Yeah, most of the food is now in it. We’ll have to check on it every now and then to see if the snow is melting. I placed the ice chest by the kitchen door that leads to the outside. It should stay cold there.” He flopped down on the couch across from hers.

“That’s good,” she replied before going back to her book.

“Yeah, I guess. So, what’s for lunch?” he asked as he lay back and placed his arms underneath his head.

She didn’t look up from her book as she answered. “Well, as soon as my break is over I’ll take a look. It’ll most likely be whatever you couldn’t fit into the ice chest.”

“Fine.” Adam thought back to what he couldn’t put in the ice chest and decided that it would do. “So, what are you reading?”

“Mr. Richardson,” Isabel said looking over at him, “like I stated earlier I’m currently on break. I would be very pleased if you would give me some peace and quiet.” She glanced at the clock hanging over the fireplace. “It’ll be over in about ten minutes. Thank you.” With that, she went back to her book.

“Jeez, I was just asking. Can I even ask a damn question in my own home?” he mumbled loud enough for her to hear.

“Would you please watch you’re language? I don’t think highly of people who curse so much.”

Adam got off the couch and walked right over to her. “I don’t care what you think. This is my house, not yours. You’re only here because I allow you to be here,” he said angrily, then ripped the book out of her hands and threw it on the ground. “Breaks over. Go make me my damn lunch.” He then stormed out of the living room, leaving Isabel to shake with anger.

She stood up then bent down to pick up her book. Oh, that… that… vile man! If he thinks that he can continue to treat me that way, then he has another thing coming. It’s not like she wanted to be there with him, but if they were going to be living together then there are things that are going to change. The first thing she wanted to change was Adam’s attitude.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter but I promise that the story is going to move on from here. I would love to see more comments from my silent readers.