The White Rose

Chapter Five: The Fight

Adam was hunched over a table, shuffling through a stack of papers hastily. His blue eyes narrowed when he didn’t find what he was looking for. He sighed as he fell back onto the old chair that was behind him. The study usually had whatever he was looking for, but today it was of no help. He began rubbing his eyes, trying to remember where he had put that piece of paper.

He stood and with slow steps walked over to the large window. He grabbed the old, faded red, thick curtain and drew it back. To his surprise, and annoyance, the storm had started up again. The fierce wind was blowing the snow so much that the visibility was zero. With the storm up again he knew that Isabel would be staying another night. That thought caused him to mutter a curse.

At that moment the study’s doors were flung open, and walked in a very angry Isabel. “Mr. Richardson,” she started as she walked right over to him, “there are things we need to talk about.”

“How dare you barge in here like this,” he quickly shot back while walking towards her. They stopped and stared at each other for a moment.

“Mr. Richardson, it appears that I will be staying here for a while and I believe that we should get some things straight.”

Adam smirked and crossed his arms. “Oh, really? What ‘things’ are that?” He asked in an amused way.

She straightened herself to appear taller and show that she wasn’t afraid of him. “Well, the first thing is your bad attitude.” The smirk faded and she could tell that he wasn’t amused any more. “I mean, you can’t go around treating me, or anyone else, the way you do. If we are going to be living together then I suggest we do it civilly.”

“Civil? I have been civil. I let you stay, didn’t I?”

“There! It’s that attitude right there that I’m talking about.”

“It’s just like a woman, trying to change someone. First that old hag, and now you. This is why I live alone.”

“What old woman?” This was the first time he actually mentioned anyone from his past, so naturally she was curious.

He mentally cursed himself for saying too much. “It’s none of your business. Look, there is something that I am searching for and I don’t need you coming in here yapping away. So leave me alone.” He walked around her and went back to his desk.

Isabel turned and was now facing his back. She watched for a moment as he shuffled through papers. He stopped and turned to look at her. He opened his mouth to speak but she cut him off. “Were you always like this?” she asked him.

“Yes, now get out!” But she didn’t move. “Didn’t you hear me?”

“Oh, I heard you,” she answered as she gently rubbed an ear. “I believe people on the other side of the world heard you.” She placed her arm by her side before she spoke once more. “But I’m not leaving until we work things out.”

“You want to work things out?” he asked while crossing his arms over his broad chest. “Fine, if you want me to change my attitude then you need to change your annoying personality.”

Her hazel eyes widened. “My annoying personality?” she asked in disbelief.

“Yes. You’re always so optimistic and proper. It’s sickening really.” He scrunched up his nose like he had smelled something disgusting.

She narrowed her eyes at him as her anger started to rise. “Like yours is any better. Your parents did an awful job raising you.”

“Do not talk about my mother like that.” He took a threatening step closer while glaring down at her. “You know nothing about how I was raised.”

“From what I’ve seen I would disagree,” she shot back.

“You want to talk about parents? What about your father? If it wasn’t for his lousy driving you wouldn’t be here and I would be very happy.”

“Me, me, me. That’s all that comes out of your mouth! You,” she poked him in the chest, “need to learn that not everything is about you. Believe it or not, there are other people on this planet.”

Adam grabbed her hand and placed it at her side. “Don’t you ever touch me again. This is your first and last warning. Remember that.”

“What a fine ‘man’, and I use that term loosely, you have become. Your mother would be very saddened by the way you treat others.” Isabel’s anger was reaching its peak. Usually when she got this angry her mouth kept moving while her brain went numb. “Maybe it’s a good thing she’s not around anymore. She’s not here to witness the scum that you’ve become.”

Adam couldn’t hold himself back anymore. After that last sentence his arm went back and he slapped Isabel across her cheek. “I told you to not speak about my mother like that!”

Isabel held her stinging cheek as her eyes began to water. In all of her life she had never but struck before. Her opinion of Adam sunk even lower. Still touching her cheek she faced him with fire in her eyes. “I’ve always known that you’d be the kind of coward to hit a woman.” She ran off towards the still opened doors, letting the tears flow freely as she made her way to her room.

“Coward?! I am no coward you wretched woman!” Adam shouted as he watched her leave. “How dare she say that to me.” He clenched his jaw and turned away, heading straight for his desk. Once he reached it he placed both hands on top and bent over.

At that moment a memory from his youth went through his mind. It was one he was just five years old that he witnessed his father striking his mother. That would be the first of many incidents. Each time his mother would be sobbing in her bedroom while his father would go over to the study and work. The same study Adam was currently in. He remembered always going over to his mother and trying to comfort her with hugs and kisses.

Damn,” he hissed. The one thing Adam didn’t want to happen did in fact happen. He had turned into his father.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did anyone see the movie Beastly? I was just wondering if it was good or not since I was thinking of renting it when it comes out.