The White Rose

Chapter Six: An Attempted Apology

Adam paced around the study with his hands behind his back, he would mutter incoherently to himself as he did so. During his fight with Isabel the storm had picked up immensely, roaring like an almighty lion. But now, it has calmed just like his anger. With a long sigh Adam realized what he needed to do. Although, he didn’t like it and he knew that it wouldn’t be easy. He, Adam Richardson, had to apologize to her.

The very thought of him walking over to her room and admitting that he was wrong caused him to grimace. But if he didn’t want to be anything like his father then he would have to. He straightened his outfit while thinking, This whole situation would be easier if she only did what she was told and kept her mouth shut. Finally he was ready and, with a deep breath, walked out the door. With a fast pace he made his way toward her room, and before he knew it, he stood in front of her closed door.

He hesitated at first as he raised his fist to knock but knew that he should do it now to get it over with. He knocked once, twice, three times. He stood waiting for it to open. He waited. And waited. And waited but still there was no response. So he knocked again, this time louder and harder. “Isabel, open this door,” he tried to say as calmly as he could.

There was nothing. Not even a peep from her. “Stop ignoring me and open the door.” His voice had become louder.

“I don’t want to talk to you or see you,” came Isabel’s reply.

“Just open this door so I can apologize,” he all but growled. Suddenly the door flew open making him jump back. “That’s better,” he muttered as he looked down and straightened his clothes. Once he looked up though the sight before him brought another flashback. There his mother stood with red, puffy eyes still streaked with tears and the red mark on her cheek standing out against her fair skin. Isabel looked the same. But one thing was very different. Adam’s mother never held a fireplace poker in her hands. “Why do you have that?” he questioned.

Isabel lifted up the fire poker as she simply said, “To defend myself.”

“Oh, come on. You don’t need that,” he said while gesturing to it. “Look, I’m sorry for hitting you. Geez, now put that away.”

She slammed the door in his face without a single word.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back! My life has finally gotten under control and things are working out better. Expect more updates soon.