Status: One shot; completed.

One Year Six Months

"Forever" Doesn't Go Too Far.

Adrian sat on the pavement, his skateboard next to him. His eyes were fixed on a boy around his age practising his kickflip – but really, his mind wasn’t paying attention to it. His mind was fixed about a girl.

His mind was filled by how sweet her voice sounded, how beautiful her laughter was, how flawless her face was, how amazing that a word from her could make him feel alright.

But it was all different now.


Adrian took out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and took a stick, bringing it between his lips. His hand took a lighter and lit the cigarette, taking a deep drag before blowing them out from his mouth, watching the white smoke forming abstract lines in front of him but then it vanished, blown off by the wind.

He missed her. He missed the feeling when he was talking to her, how she could lighten his bad day by only a smile she gave.

Adrian stood up, taking the skateboard with him and headed to his friends while finishing the addictive stick. Once he did, he dropped it to the pavement and stomped it with his heel. His friend Peter noticed him walking to the group, and he raised his hand to wave.

She promised to never leave him, but promise was just words spoken. He shouldn’t have hoped too much – he should’ve thought that she would be gone someday with another guy other than him.

Because that was all he was going to be in her eyes – a bestfriend.


“Where have you been? We haven’t seen you around for a while!” Brendon asked, giving Adrian one of those manly hugs.

“I’d got some things to do,” Adrian answered.

“Many things?” Peter asked.

Many things.”

“So many that you had to miss school for two weeks?” Fletcher said after he perfectly landed his skateboard after an airwalk grab from the stairs.

Adrian hesitated for a while. “Yeah.”

“Forever” was the word she promised. “A while” was the word she actually did.

Even though he would always be the bestfriend, being promised using the word “forever” meant something big for him.

“You’re my bestfriend. I promise I would never ever leave you. ...We’re bestfriends forever.” He loved how those words slid out perfectly from her delicate lips – not that he’d ever touched them, they just seemed delicate.


Adrian slid his skateboard along the curb near where he was and when it met a turn to the left, he jumped from his skateboard, kickflipped it but the landing wasn’t so successful. The skateboard landed with the wheels above and he stepped on the wheels, sending him straight onto the pavement. His friends led out an ‘ouch’ and an ‘ohh’.

Two years wasn’t so long for a friendship, but it was more than enough for Adrian and Emily to be bestfriends. Adrian thought nothing could separate them, even when Ethan came along. He was wrong – Ethan disliked him. He wanted Emily to stop hanging out with Adrian. Emily didn’t want to lose Ethan – she obeyed.

It was very heartbreaking for Adrian.


It was starting to get late – the sky was turning into a mixture of light orange, light purple, and a few flecks of pinks and blues. Everyone decided to go to a diner for dinner, but Adrian did not.

Instead, he walked down the road to an apartment building, walked inside, and went up the stairs. He reached the rooftop and he placed his skateboard against the cement railing and folded his arms on the railing, watching the sky. The purple was going darker and taking over the sky. The whole scene reminded him so much of her.

Dark purple – Emily’s favourite colour.

The rooftop of the apartment building – where they spent their spare time talking when they didn’t know what to do.

The sunset – Emily’s favourite time of the day.

Adrian sighed, lying down in the middle of the rooftop with his arms as the pillow. He watched the sky getting darker and until stars were seen. He closed his eyes and a rush of memories between him and Emily invaded his mind.

He wanted them to stop, but they wouldn’t listen.

He gulped, fighting back the tears in his eyes.

They wouldn’t listen to him.

They freely crawled out from the corner of his eyes and down his temples, landing on the cement.

One year and six months without Emily in his life.

Adrian misses Emily in words he couldn’t even describe.
♠ ♠ ♠
dear bestfriend, I hope you're okay with me using your middle name as a character for my story. well technically Adrian isn't your middle name, it's only one letter difference. but still.

sooo me and my former guy bestfriend is alright now - we're back to like what we were last year :D I am sooo happy!

lately I really enjoy writing from a boy's point of view or the third person. writing in a third person makes me feel the story is...heavier. more meaningful. but that's just me, haha.

actually this story is kind of like me and my former guy bestfriend. I don't want it to be exact like what happened between me and him because I'm planning to write a story based on our friendship, but I'll probably start writing after prom, which is still in two months ;p

what do you think? I really like this - mainly because it's inspired by Yellowcard's One Year Six Months. I'm in love with that song lately. speaking of which, how are Yellowcard doing? they're like, vanished. boom. no news.