‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

14

Matt's POV

Brian followed me in to the house where Marie was sitting on the couch, crying. I sat down next to her and pulled her in to a hug.

"Stop." She pushed at me, her breathing heavy and broken "Just stop. Go out. Leave me alone"

"Babe you need some water." I kissed her head as Brian walked in with a bottle of water. I handed it to her and opened it for her "Please. You need to sober up. You haven't eaten anything today."

"No." She pushed at me.

"Marie you'll have one hell of a hangover tomorrow." Brian pushed the water towards her.

"I don't get hangovers." She glared up at him "I just want to go take a nap. You guys go have fun."

"You sure you gonna be ok?" I asked as she handed me her cup, standing with my help.

"Yah, I'm gonna go shower and fall asleep in bed. I'm beat." She shrugged and gave me a kiss on the cheek before disappearing.

"Well that was easier to find her than I thought it would be." Brian laughed as we both returned outside. We continued our game of beer pong, but I couldn't help but worry for Marie.

Was she really ok? Did the crash actually do something to her? Was she just actually losing her mind? Or did she just feign being insane hoping I would let her go through with the divorce? My mind spun and spun, even long after everyone left the house that night. Zack and Brian stayed with me, Hannah and Jackie left to give us guy time. They thought I needed it, seeing as Marie hadn't come down from upstairs yet. Yes, we have checked on her also. She was passed out on our bed, half covered, in her bra, snoring.

"So. Are you super dumb excited for the wedding?" Zack nudged at Brian's leg, "Huh?"

"I mean duh." He laughed, "She's my world. I wouldn't think of not marrying her, losing her, that would... it would kill me inside." He shrugged and took a sip of his beer "I couldn't imagine my life without her. It's so weird. Like I wake up to this amazing girl, every day... I don't understand how I got her."

"I mean, we don't really either." Zack laughed, "She's kind of way too good for you."

Brian sent him daggers as he kicked his foot off the table "Don't remind her of that, she might leave me. Then I'll hunt you down."

"Got it." Zack nodded "So, what are you and Marie gonna do?" He looked at me "About this place?"

"We're looking at more places this weekend." I ran my hands down my face "I don't know. There's so much pressure that if this doesn't happen soon she's going to just leave.."

"She won't." Brian rolled his eyes "But you guys gotta figure out this memory bullshit, she has to be scared."

"I bet. I can't imagine not remembering what I did this morning." Zack glanced around "Have you like talked to her about this other than just telling her you're concerned? Like.. Have you really talked about it?"

"How?" I laughed "She avoids me and acts super distant. I don't even think it's the accident. Wouldn't it have shown sooner? At least signs? And they did a ton of CT scans at the hospital, they would have seen something wrong with her brain." I glanced at the stairs as a door shut "I just think.... I don't know anymore."

At that moment Marie stumbled down the stairs, yawning, a blanket wrapped around her half dressed body. Her blonde hair was messily tied up in a bun and she stared at all of us as her eyes focused "Oh... my bad." She got her footing "I didn't know you guys stayed-"

"Why are you sorry?" Zack asked "This is your house."

"I mean... to interrupt?" She looked at the basement door from the corner of her eye "I'll catch you all later." She shuffled her hands under the blanket and walked in to the basement.

Brian eyed me, my eyes were trained on where Marie had disappeared through the door. "Well then." I mumbled "So she's awake... at like two in the morning."

"She's probably still drunk." Brian laughed "Does she even know she's in the basement?"

"Probably not." I raised my eyebrows as I heard music quietly fill the stair well. "What... What is that?"

Zack got up and walked towards the door, putting his ear towards the opening "It's... It's us." He shrugged "Good taste."

"She never listens to us." I kicked my feet up "I actually don't think she's ever put our music on, once, since I met her. The only time I remember her listening to us is on tour."

"Well obviously she's growing to like us." Brian smirked "Well, I should actually go.. I need to be up tomorrow to go over some more unnecessary wedding crap." His eyes rolled.

"Alright, I'll come with seeing as the girls took my car home..." Zack laughed and walked back over, patting my shoulder "Good luck man."

"Thank... seems I'll need it lately. I don't get what the fuck this shit is."

"Yah.... well... just call if you need anything." Brian smiled and walked towards the door with Zack.

The door shut behind them. I couldn't help it, my skin began to crawl. What was I supposed to do? Was this right? Were we right? Was Marie right, we jumped in to it too fast from tour, we should have taken it slower? Slower would have meant her living on the East coast and me living in Huntington. We would never have... never have made it. Maybe that was meant to be? Were we meant to be this? Married? Planning a future? Planning kids? Were kids a good idea if we couldn't even get our shit together?

"Matt?"

My head turned quickly to the basement door where Marie stood, her eyes bloodshot and her face red. I instantly shot up out of my seat and over to her "What's wrong babe? Are you ok?"

"Will... will you come to bed with me?" She asked "I... I can't sleep."

I furrowed my eyebrows together, she was passed out when I checked on her "Ok babe, come on." I picked her up, swinging the excess blanket up over my arm.

Her arms securely wrapped around my neck as her head collided with my chest "Matt... I love you so much... I don't ever want to leave you. Please don't leave me either?" Her eyes shut, her words slow and articulate.

"I would never leave you Marie." I kissed her forehead. "Never in a thousand years."

"Thank you... because, as much as I hate to admit it," She laughed under her breath as we began up the stairs "I need you. I need you so much, Matt. You don't even know." Her words trailed off as her head pressed harder against me, her eyelids softening, falling asleep against me.

"I need you too." I whispered as I entered our room, placing her gently on the bed. I changed quickly in to my pajama shorts and climbed in next to her, pulling her body next to mine as I felt her breaths drawing in and out slowly.