‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

15

Marie's POV

More. Fucking. Houses. I could tell Matt was fed up with our new weekend ritual. Truth be told, so was I. We had seen one already this morning, and we were driving through a nice suburb area of Huntington on to our second location.

"So, how do you feel about this house from he paperwork?" Matt asked me as we stopped at a red light.

"I mean.. it has four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a nice yard, and it's walking distance from a small beach. It kind of sounds perfect." I smiled "I'm actually hopeful for this one, it has potential." I glanced over at Matt, who was smiling while watching the light turn green.

I hadn't drank as much this morning as I usually did. But the guy at my work who sold me the pills, Chay, gave me a new stimulant, hoping it would help with my issues more so than an opiod. He told me it was new, not on the prescription market, it was a white powder that you either ate or snorted. Me being the drug novice I am, figured it was a good enough idea. Easy to hide, a small amount would have you going for a whole day, so a small little plastic baggie lasted me a day or so.

Of course, I had taken a good amount before we left, before I showered. Chay had instructed that if I break up the clumps and snort it off of a flat surface it would be easiest. So I made myself some relatively thick lines, as opposed to what he had shown me, and taken them. I could feel it in full force today. All I wanted to do was accomplish everything.

Everything.

"You ok?" Matt laughed, putting his hand on my knee as we turned in to the road the house was located on.

"Yah, why?" I asked, noticing my leg twitching under his touch.

"Your leg is bouncing at mach speed." He steadied my leg "Too much coffee?"

"Probably, I had a couple cups this morning." Mixed in a little Jack and it was all good. "It'll wear off soon." Hopefully.

Matt's POV

We arrived at the house, it was pretty good sized compared to the one we were in now. Marie immediately bounded out of the car and towards the door where Jensen was standing. I couldn't help but stare, what had gotten in to her today? She'd been progressively getting more cheery since that night at the house with everyone. I was hoping that something clicked finally with our exchange of words. Hoping and praying it did.

"Good morning Marie." I heard Jensen offer as she shook his hand, letting him lead them in to the house. I got out of the car and followed them inside, this was more her choice than mine.

I just wrote the check. Which I didn't mind, I wanted her happy. And honestly, maybe trying to move and start a family would help us.

"Glad you joined us, Matt." Marie smiled at me, wrapping her arms around my waist as we stood in the kitchen "I love this kitchen. It's... It's perfect." She ran her hands over the counter tops, clicking her manicured nails against the granite.

Jackie had taken her out yesterday for a girls day, considering the last time they talked was almost a week prior at the party.

"It is, it's very nice." I smiled, my heart filling at the sight of her face. She looked bright. But something was still wrong. I could see through the smile on her lips, the glow in er eyes was surface deep, there was something lying beneath.

"Four bedrooms?" She asked, her eyes flicking from the surrounding appliances to Jensen, quickly.

"Three baths." He smiled, solidifying her statement "And it's under your budget, well, Marie's budget. Well under Matthew's." He gestured to me "So I feel it could be a win."

"It could." Marie walked out of the kitchen and towards the stairs "How many levels?"

"Three, oh, well four including the basement. The fourth floor is the master suite, en suite bathroom with a jetted tub and double sinks. Lets go look shall we?"

"Sure." Marie nodded and followed him upstairs "Wow." Her lips parted slightly for the words to escape "Matt." She grasped my arm, her nails brushing my skin "This is beautiful."

"It's nice. Really roomy." I walked around.

There was a California King sized bed in the center of the room, the furnishings were very classy. Very new and modern. The bathroom had double doors leading in to it, the spa-like tub was in the corner, against and under a window that had an incredible view leading out to wards the coast line. There was a separate shower, the size of the mirror was incredible, it took up the entire wall behind the sinks. There were two walk in giant closets, and a large linen closet in the bathroom.

I glanced over towards Marie, she was spinning in a circle taking everything in. "This is fantastic." She murmured, "I.. I love this."

"Do you?" I asked, "Why don't we look at the rest of the house first." I laughed.

"Ok, I have to jet to the car really quick, you guys start on the next level without me." She smiled, pecked my cheek, and scampered down the stairs.

"So four bedrooms? Three baths, nice yard.. Close to the beach." Jensen laughed as we descended to the next level, "Do you think she'll go for it? Or are we going to make this a tradition for a while?" He was joking but I huffed "I'm kidding-"

"I know." I paused as I heard the car door shut, I glanced out one of the bedroom windows where I could see our SUV sitting in the driveway. I squinted to see, but it didn't look like Marie was in the car at all. I began to look around the room, letting Jensen go on about a few more properties he had in the area to show us tomorrow.

Our of the corner of my eye I saw Marie emerge from the backseat of the SUV. I furrowed my eyebrows and stared confused.

"Everything ok?" Jensen asked suddenly.

"What?" I snapped my head towards him, "Oh, yah. She should be back up here in a second, she just got... out of the car." I paused, having to think why she could have needed to go to the car in the first place, never mind the back seat.

Jensen shrugged and lead me to the next room, where Marie quickly re-joined us. She wrapped her arm around me and smiled up at me "I love you, and I'm so in love with this house.."

"Really?" I asked, eyeing her closely as her eyes switched back and forth from me to Jensen and back "Marie?"

"Yes." She smiled "I really am. I really, really love it."

"Do you think?" I asked, she nodded "This is it?"

"This... This is the one."

I let out a sigh of relief as she jittered in her spot, her hands shaking against me as she got Jensen's attention. This was it... We were doing it. Buying a house, starting a family... starting a future.