‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

19

Marie's POV

Matt was gone. I had this entire house to myself. Was I afraid to be alone? Somewhat. Only because I had become... Dependent upon this substance, upon this... drug. I needed it, to survive. To cope. To live. To breathe. To walk. But I didn't feel myself. I knew I should have been more saddened by my own mothers death; don't get my wrong I was sad. But I should have accepted Matt staying home. I should have let him comfort me.

I shouldn't have turned to a drug over my husband. I had called Chay, he dropped off a larger bag of smaller baggies to me. I thanked him, because in my mind, my spinning intoxicated mind, he was saving me from feeling this pain that knocked against the doors of my heart. But this drug, this beautiful beautiful substance, kept it at bay. Kept it away. Locked and threw away the key to my heart.

I grabbed the remaining bottle of Jack from the cabinet above the stove, things had been slowly put away all afternoon as I waited for Chay to show up, and made my way to the fourth floor. I sat myself in the bathroom, beside the bathtub, and began the water. It was warm, I added some scented salt and stirred it with my hands. I shut the water when it reached the right height. I went to the bedroom and grabbed a bathrobe from the closet and my phone from the bed side table. I entered the bathroom and plugged my phone in to the house's surround sound system. I selected the master bathroom control and turned the music up. Blasting, none other, than Avenged Sevenfold as I stripped myself of my clothing. I set the bottle of Jack next to me, grabbed two of the baggies from my robe pocket, and began lining them up beside the tub on a small end table I had found in our room.

Our room. Matt and I's room. Where we would sleep together tomorrow night when he returned home. When my husband returned home.

I laughed at the statement. My husband. Who, in my life, would have thought I would marry? Even then, someone as great as Matt? I don't know what I did to deserve him. I turned the music up with the remote control, and inhaled a line. I tilted my head back and took a drink of Jack. I didn't want to feel this alone feeling that crept into my soul suddenly.

I inhaled yet another line, my head aching suddenly. I dunked myself beneath the water and sighed as I surfaced. It subsided. I took another long drink and put my feet up on the other side of the tub. Soaking in the music and aura. I had lit candles and lined them along the bathroom sinks and the shower and tub. I had my cell phone next to me, but ignored it as Jackie's name flashed across the screen. I was not down to have a girls night, not at all. This... This right here is what I needed. I reached out of the tub and made five more lines, inhaling another and sitting back. Letting the effects take over my body, feeling higher than the world, my body weightless, my entire being was shaking, it felt incredible. I had no idea where I was, what was going on, or who I was aching for.

I took another drink of Jack, and closed my eyes, taking in the music and sound of Matt's voice over the speakers, my mind fogging and spinning at a terrifying pace. I could feel myself slipping, but I wasn't sure if it was just in my mind or not.

Jackie's POV

"She's not fucking answering." I huffed to Hannah as we pulled in to their new driveway "Well, Matt gave me the code to the door anyways, so we can just go in?" I asked.

"I guess. He said to check her." Hannah unbuckled and exited the car. I shrugged and followed.

"Marie?!" I shouted as we entered the house. Leaving her alone was probably one of Matt's dumbest ideas. Her mother just died. She's in the middle of some unknown crisis. And he leaves her for my fiance's bachelor party.

"Hear that?" Hannah pointed at the stairs "She must be upstairs, probably relaxing."

"Well lets go see." I smiled and made my way to the stairs "Matt wanted me to video chat him with Marie, so I guess I'll call him now and maybe if she's naked we can surprise him." I laughed as we paused in the hall and dialed Matt's number "He said this house was huge, but fuck dude. There's a fourth floor." I laughed as he picked up "Hey Matty, video call. Now."

"Ok." He accepted my video request and his face popped up "Where is she?" He asked nervously

"She's upstairs, she wasn't answering us or downstairs when we got here, and we can hear you guys' music from upstairs so we're venturing."

"Jackie figures if she's naked it will be a nice surprise for you." Hannah added with a laugh, Matt chuckled "But really, what is the necessity of having four floors? Do you need to exercise that much??"

"She wanted a lot of bedrooms." Matt rolled his eyes "As long as she's happy, I can use some stair climbing. Now come on, where is she?"

"Hang on, entering the master suite as we speak." I laughed, switching from the selfie camera to the landscape camera so Matt could see "She must be in the bathroom, there's candles going." I laughed "Girls night and we weren't invited."

"Marie!" Hannah shouted to get her attention "We're coming in!" There was an clink of metal and Hannah looked at me "Marie?"

"What was that?" Matt asked as his face became concerned over the camera.

"Jackie I don't think we should be video-"

A scream erupted from my chest as my phone clattered to the floor. "Jackie! Jackie!" I could hear Matt's voice distant, but my body was moving forward and I couldn't stop.

"Marie!" I screamed, pulling her body from the water "Marie what the fuck?!" I pulled her out of the tub completely, wrapping her robe over her skin. I tried pressing against her chest, water dripping from her mouth.

"What the fuck is going on?!" Angry Matt screamed from the phone. Hannah picked it up and left the room quickly, but apparently not before Matt got a glimpse of what was unfolding in front of me "MARIE!" He sounded shattered.

I patted her face and placed her on the floor "Oh fuck.. Ohhhh fuck.." I whimpered, trying my best to remember our high school health class where they crash coursed us in CPR "Marie, please.." I pleaded as I pumped her chest, holding her nose and blowing in to her mouth. I pulled my fingers back and noticed they were coated in blood. Her nose was bleeding so badly it was entering her mouth "HANNAH CALL 9-1-1!!" I shouted in to the bedroom. I heard her voice suddenly serious and knew she already was. I cried, holding Marie close to my chest "Please don't do this, please..." I looked around and noticed the end table next to the bathtub, my hands contacted the substance and my eyes watered, there was a now empty bottle of Jack Daniels at the bottom of the tub, where her body had been.

I pressed her chest one more time, repeating the breathing and pressing until finally she choked "Marie!" I shouted and held her, rubbing her cold arms. She sat up straight and threw up on to the tub. I patted her back as she heaved again.

She turned to me quickly, her eyes dark black and bloodshot, her skin like paper. Her chest heaved, her eyes fluttered backwards, and she fell to the floor. Vomit seeping from the side of her mouth. I screamed just as loud foot steps entered the room, an EMT quickly laying her body flat in front of me and performing the same motions I had just done.

"Ma'am." My arm was pulled up by a police officer, my hands covered in blood, my eyes soaking wet, blood was on my shirt, "We need to transport her to Huntington ER. We need to talk to both of you, we can do it there, or here."

"Well I'm not leaving her side, so there. I'm riding with her." I stood still as they carried Marie's body past us on a stretcher, a mask over her face, her hands still white as snow.

"Alright, follow those men, miss," He gestured to Hannah "You can come with me then." She nodded, tears staining her cheeks. She handed me my phone and nodded at me.

"They're coming home." She gestured at the phone "Obviously."

"Good. He shouldn't have left in the first place." I muttered out of the officer's ear shot. I followed the EMT's to the ambulance and they sat me inside, Hannah climbed in the officer's car, and we began down the road at a heart stopping pace. They scrambled to hook up IV's in to Marie's arms and someone slammed a giant needle in to her chest, quickly rubbing her chest and pumping her lungs after.

I sobbed, I held my head in my hands and sobbed. Why would she do this? Why?