‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

23

Matt's POV

I sat at the bottom of Marie's bed all night. Apparenly her heart was still slightly unstable, obviously. The doctor kept coming in and checking her stats every ten minutes. Jackie had stayed the past two days, continually forcing Brian to go home and rest. Zack and Hannah had been in also since yesterday, we were going on day four now. Hannah wanted to stay but Jackie made her leave also. I think she was trying to keep the witnesses to a minimum if I lost my shit. Good thinking on her part.

"Matt you should really get outside again." She sighed from her spot on the couch, yawning "I'm going to go get some coffee in a bit, you should go for a walk first."

"No, I don't want to leave her in case she wakes up soon. The doctor said it should be soon." I glanced over at Marie's pale features. Her cheeks were sunken in, how I hadn't noticed her body's changes due to the drugs was beyond me.

"Ok. I'll go now then." She stood and grabbed her purse from the floor "I'm getting you a coffee and something to eat, so don't leave or go crazy. I'll be back in fifteen." She smiled at me and walked out the door.

I sighed and looked towards Marie, we really needed to get this under control soon. I couldn't lose her if she decided to take her pain out like this again. I needed her, I needed everything about her. Her smile, her love, her voice, her hair, her sense of humor, her laugh... I paused and looked up at her, watching her lips twitching gently. Her teeth bit her bottom lip as her eyes peeked open. I smiled at her as her lips twitched between a smile and quivering.

"We really need to talk." I took her hand "You can't keep doing this... This kind of stuff."

"I'm so sorry Matt." She whimpered, she sat up further and patted the bed next to her "I promise, I swear on my life, I'll never do something this stupid again.." She stared at me "I was just... overwhelmed? Scared... worn." She looked at her arms, taking in all the needles.

"How long?" I asked, her eyes locked mine, the brightness had returned and she looked like my Marie again "How long had you been using and doing this to yourself?"

"Um.." She patted her chin and looked at the bed and mumbled. I tilted her chin and asked her to repeat herself "Five months..." I sighed heavily as the words left her mouth "Listen, Matt... I.. I didn't start like this.." She pleaded, I could only imagine the look on my face so I tried to fix it quickly. "I know you're disapointed, but I swear it didn't start out hard first. I started drinking... then when I went to visit the office one day, Chayson said he had something that could help.." She looked up at me, "I'm sorry for lying.."

"I knew you weren't telling me the truth." I shrugged "But I could tell you weren't cheating, you seemed too hurt.."

"I love you Matt, I always will love you and only you.. But I started with Oxy... And then I moved to, apparently, Cocaine.." Her eyes squinted and shot towards the door as it opened. Jackie walked in, smiling. She had a tray of coffees from a shop down the street, and a bag on her arm.

"Breakfast." She smiled and handed myself and Marie a coffee and myself a bag with a sandwich inside along with some fruit and other things.

"Thanks." Marie smiled as Jackie handed her a cup of fruit and some jell-o.

"I wasn't sure what you'd be able to eat.. So I found your doctor and he said these were ok. And also that's not coffee, it's decaf tea.." She caught Marie before she took a drink "You aren't.. They don't want you having caffeine yet."

"My heart." Marie looked down and sighed "I guess. That better not be a forever thing." She laughed "I love coffee.."

"Too much." I laughed, taking a sip of my own after thanking Jackie.

"So have we made nice?" She asked, as she sipped her coffee and held her phone.

"Of course." I shrugged "What would be wrong?"

"Oh I don't even know where to begin." Jackie rolled her eyes "Brian's on his way, I think Jim said he was coming too."

"Oh cool." Marie smiled, taking a bite of her fruit, choking slightly but giving us a thumbs up "It just hurts, my throat is so dry. Did they say when I could be discharged?" She asked.

"No, I think that's all dependent upon how you hold up hun. And having to give you medication for your heart almost exploding probably wasn't helpful." Jackie shrugged as she sat down.

Marie glanced down, sighing heavily as a nurse walked back in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sumertime Sadness - Lana Del Rey title credittttt

Jbizzzle