‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

28

Marie's POV

I had barely drank my first drink and was feeling odd. Sash and Joslin were already hammered, and planning on driving home. I said I was fine, and they left. So I was standing outside the club with no idea what to do. I couldn't find a damn cab in this town to save my life.

"Hello?"

I sighed as Jackie answered the phone "I'm sorry-"

"What's wrong? Marie? Are you ok?" Jackie asked, worry coating her voice.

"I'm fine... I just... I need a ride? I'm sorry it's so late."

"Where are you? I'm coming." I could hear her smile, realizing everything was ok.

For now.

I gave her the address, leaving out the fact it was a club, and waited for her to arrive. Minutes later her SUV pulled up to the curb and I climbed in.

"What are you doing out here?" She eyed the club and put her phone down quickly. "Marie?"

"I had like half a drink and felt weird, Sasha and Joslin were hammered but they drove home.." I mumbled "So uh, can you like, not tell Matt?" I laughed as she eyed me "I mean... he's gonna kill me-"

"Him?!" She screeched "I'M gonna kill you! Are you serious?! You can't fucking do that, Marie!" She shouted at me as we stopped at a red light "And I'm taking you to our house, because Matt was still at Jim's when Brian left and you're not being alone. And GOD knows I'm going to need Brian there to calm Matt down when he comes to get you."

I sighed, knowing she was doing the right thing, but my mind was on over drive "He's gonna flip at me. He told me to stay home."

"Yup, I know. Him and Zack are on the way over. They'll probably beat us there." She glanced at her phone "He just called Brian."

"Fun."

"And you're dressed like a slut, by the way, so he's gonna love that." She glanced down at my boots "You... you really need to get it together hun. He's not gonna wait forever." She stared at me as we pulled in to the driveway "His heart can't do that."

"Oh." I nodded, catching on to what she meant. I nodded and left the car, my heels clicking on the sidewalk.

Jackie was soon behind me, I could hear nothing from inside the house. Figuring Matt was in one of his too mad to speak moods. Jackie moved in front of me and opened the door, mumbling to herself something about Brian leaving the door unlocked since he knew we were coming home soon.

We entered the room to three sets of eyes. Matt, Brian, and Zack. Brian was just looking normally, watching as we entered the room slowly. Zack looked like he was lost, completely. Then there was Matt's eyes. My breath slowed in my chest as I locked his gaze. He looked.. hurt, he looked hurt, and sad, almost betrayed?

"Well we should be going." He stood suddenly, Zack following his lead "Thank you Jackie for getting Marie."

"Any time." She gave me a sorry look and bit her lip "Let me know if you need anything, guys."

"We will." Zack mumbled as the two boys left the house, Zack motioning for me to follow. I gave Brian a confused look and he shrugged. Mouthing a quick I tried to me before I walked out of the house.

"I'm not driving." Matt announced, Zack nodded and began walking for the other side of the car "I can't."

"I figured." Zack said as he sat in the driver seat, I took the back seat, hiking my boots in to the SUV was slightly hard to do but I managed.

"Matt-"

"Don't." Zack warned and cut me off.

I sat back and shut my mouth, feeling fear welling up in my chest "I'm not drunk." I mumbled "I didn't even drink-"

"Then why does your blood say you did?!" Matt screamed, his voice broken and coarse. I stared at the back of his head rest as Zack put his hand on Matt's shoulder, mumbling something under his breath to him "Sorry, I will be.." Matt responded "Please don't even talk, Marie."

"We love you Marie, we're worried about you. We just..." Zack paused as we pulled in the driveway "You just need to give Matt some time to think about how to talk about this."

"I'm going in. I can't sit for this." Matt raised his hands "Talk to her before I fucking break this door." Matt kicked the car door open and stomped in to the house after slamming the door behind him. I glanced up at Zack as he positioned himself in his seat so he was facing me. He took a deep breath.

"Marie... he's... You know he's been through a lot. He just." He paused and closed his eyes "He's afraid that you're just going to do the same thing as Cori. He doesn't want to lose you, but he's really not trying to keep up this.. drama. He can't take it anymore. None of us can, we're one scare away from a fucking heart attack. And... you're the one who wants to grow up and have kids and a family. But this isn't how it's done, Marie. You need to fucking stop. Either you need to stop or you need-"

"To go." I huffed.

"No, that's not what I mean." Zack groaned "He's just tired of it already, grow the fuck up. You told him to be home more and spend more time with you or you'd leave. So you should do the fucking same and be a wife, not some party girl who just wants to fuck around and kill herself in the process." He stared at me "Ok? Just... think about it, hard. He needs to be happy, and I'm sorry but as his best friends we will tell him to do whatever makes him happy. Even if it's not you. We've seen him hurt for too long."

"Thanks." I sighed "For letting me know... Thanks for the ride, too.. Tell Hannah I said hi?"

"I will. But really Marie, you need to get it together or let him decide. He deserves to be fucking happy. And watching someone kill themselves isn't that."

I got out of the car as Zack began reversing out of the driveway. I sighed and watched as our bedroom light turned on. I stood in the driveway and took a deep breath. How many people used drugs and drank but didn't have the issues I did? Why me? Probably because I should know better.

I walked up to the front door, which was slightly open, and walked in. I walked up the first flight of stairs and entered one of the spare rooms. One of the rooms that was supposed to be occupied by our kids. I wiped at my watering eyes and laid down on the full sized bed. I kept my clothes and boots on and pulled up the throw blanket from the end and covered myself up. I could hear the shower on upstairs and knew that tonight wasn't the night to crawl in to bed next to Matt. I heard glass crack and sighed.

Of course this would make him drink.