‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

31

Marie's POV

My legs ached, my back was throbbing in to my throat, and I honestly felt like I had been run over by thirty semi trucks in a row last night. My eyes snapped open, aching against the light. Bax was a the end of the bed I slept in, the spare room at Zack and Hannah's house. Last night.. last night was as vivid as the image of Bax's nose in front of my face. I sighed and rolled on to my back, equally as painful.

I stood up and noticed a stack of clothes on the dresser from Hannah. I smiled and changed quickly, shorts and a tank top. A hoodie next to the pile, I would put it on if we went out. I didn't mind the bruises showing in the house, everyone had already seen. I glanced in the mirror and noticed a large dark bruise around the side of my face, encompassing my jawline and cheekbone. Most likely where my face hit the floor. There were finger prints on my shoulders, collar bone, and arms. Hand sized prints along my arms. Not to mention what was on my legs. I saw my over night bag that Brian had taken from the house as we left.

I opened it and quickly dry swallowed my medication, knowing that I needed it to make it through the day ahead.

I opened the door and made my way downstairs where I could hear voices, loud, but I couldn't gather the emotion. Bax was, as always, at my heels. I entered the kitchen, where I could pick up an angry Zack?

"Oh fuck." Zack stopped mid rant as I walked in, "Hannah." He gestured to Hannah as she quickly stood up from her spot, moving in front of me.

Matt's body turned to face me, his jaw dropping. I swear to God it hit the floor completely.

"You need to leave now." Hannah gestured to Matt "You aren't welcome here."

"Han-"

"Matt." Zack stopped him "You gotta fucking go."

"Marie.." His eyes scanned my body, tears immediately leaving his eyes "Oh Marie."

"Stop, Matt. You're making this harder." Hannah pushed back at his chest as he moved closer "Matt!" She shouted, "I'll fucking fuck you up, don't even fucking try." She cracked her knuckles, watching him carefully.

"Please just let-"

"Please?" I smirked at his eyes as they showed how broken his heart was becoming "Please? Like I asked you last night to stop? Like I pleaded with you, Matt?!" I asked loudly, my body shaking.

"Marie you shouldn't be getting worked up." Zack sighed from behind Matt "Dude you gotta go-"

"Please like I asked you to stop while you broke me?" I watched as Matt's eyes let a flood of tears leave "Please? Like I fucking cried while your hands did all of this?" I gestured to my body "Please doesn't work, Matthew. Please isn't the magic word our parents drilled in to our skulls. Please doesn't stop your husband from breaking your soul, from damaging your body, it doesn't save you. What saves you?" I paused, watching his body shaking with a sob "What saves you is yourself and your fight. You have to fight. Please is for pussies. Please is for pushovers. Please is weak. Please is to pass the fucking salt, Matthew. No. What this is, is strength. This is fighting." I stopped, my toes pressed against is, my chest at his, my eyes looking up in to his broken hazel eyes "This is my fight, and I'm going to win. And that means you have to lose."

"Marie, please, I was drunk-"

"Get out." Hannah pushed forward and shoved Matt to the door "Just go, you aren't fucking welcome here now get out before I call the cops."

"Cop caller." Matt glared at Hannah.

"Dude don't fucking think about it." Zack hissed and shoved Matt forward "She's done, we're done. You need to fucking go think about what you just lost." He paused as Matt's eyes pleaded "Again."

Matt hung his head immediately as he walked for the doorway, his body shaking obviously crying.

"Good morning." I smiled at Zack and Hannah as the front door shut, signaling Matt had left.

"Oh Marie..." Zack threw his arms up and embraced me in a gently hug "I'm so fucking sorry-"

"Why?" I laughed at his words and actions "I'm not offended."

"No, just... I feel like such a jerk from what I said last night before this happened." He sighed as Hannah handed me a cup of coffee "I still can't fucking believe him, he's such a fuck up.."

I sighed, nodded, and followed suit as Hannah sat down at the counter island "So.."

"Soo.." Hannah laughed "Well, first things first. We're going to go have a girls day, get our nails done, do a ton of fun stuff." She smiled "I mean, maybe some shopping, some fun stuff..."

"Ok." I smiled "That sounds great."

"You two have fun, my wallets on the dresser, I'm gonna go shower and head to Brian's for a little. I guess Matt called him.." Zack kissed the side of Hannah's face as he glanced down at his phone "OH, also go phone shopping for her," He pointed at me "She shouldn't be on Matt's plan any more, also her phone is.." He glanced by the kitchen table where apparently Matt had dropped off my phone.

"Good idea." Hannah smiled "Ok, go grab that sweater, we're going shhooopppiinnngg!" She giggled as I stood.

"You guys... are actually the best." I Smiled and stood, heading for the stairs. I skipped every other and quickly reached the spare room, opening the door and smiling as Bax ran in and jumped on the bed "Hey boy, we need to get you a new collar." I laughed, seeing the wire poking out from beneath it. I grabbed the hoodie and made my way back downstairs where Hannah was standing waiting, a huge smile on her face.

"We're gonna pick up Jackie first, then head out, ok?"

"Sounds good." I smiled and followed her out to her car.

I sat down and felt my back throb again, this was going to hurt... and more than just physically.