‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

37

Matt's POV

No one knew, we didn't tell anyone of the guys, or Jackie, that Marie and I were going to counselling for our issues. The counselor agreed to keep it confidential about our physical issue before hand, telling us because it was a past issue that didn't result in a police report she wouldn't have to report it.

"We're still going on tour this summer." I announced to Marie over the phone as we both left, in our own cars, another counselling session.

"I know." She answered, obviously putting me on the car's speaker "That's fine, I think we'll be ok. Dr. Linda seems to think it'll work.. Do you think it'll work?" She asked.

"Yah, I mean, you can always come visit, we can call every day, video chat.." I shrugged "I mean I don't know how long we can go without everyone knowing but we can try."

"I just feel like we need to get steady first, try dating again like she suggested. Like, not just jump back in to oh hey I've loved you this long like we did on tour, y'know?"

"Yah, like, definitely. That seems like a good idea. I do think we rushed in to this, marriage wise, and put a lot of stress on us." I took the turn in to my driveway "Fuck, Zack's here.. again, I gotta go, talk to you later?"

"Yah, Jackie and Brian are coming over later for dinner, I'll call you when they leave." She responded "Love you, bye."

"Bye." I hung up, getting out of the car and inside the house "Zack?" I asked, shutting the door behind me.

"Hey." He answered from the kitchen, a beer in hand "Sorry, I needed to get out, Hannah's packing her stuff up today."

"She's really that mad?" I asked, grabbing a water bottle and sitting down on the couch "She should know better, you've been together way longer than Marie's been around."

"But she was there for Corinne, and I think she's just... Over it. Over us having really good bonds with each others girls." He shrugged "Like you and Jackie are good friends, same with her and I... Marie never felt weird about that, and Jackie doesn't feel weird about Brian being good friends with Marie.."

I shrugged back "I think Jackie's just in a different mind set. Don't know, anyways. What are your plans tonight?"

"This." He laughed, gesturing to his beer and me, "I don't know when she'll be done and I'm not sure if I can go back there sober when her shits gone."

"Dude it'll be ok." I put my hand on his shoulder "And you should finish those beers, Lord knows I won't even." We both laughed as I turned the TV on, clicking over to ESPN to watch some game recaps.

"I don't know how you're doing it... staying sober and getting divorced, Matt... I don't fucking get it. I don't get you either," He stared at the ceiling "How you could fucking do that to her, the one woman who gets you more than any one else in this world."

"I know." I took a breath in "I don't know either dude, I really don't..."

I couldn't tell him, that'd make him furious. No one thought us even talking was a geat idea, they would probably give up on either of us for going to therapy. Or they could surprise us and be excited, but we weren't taking that chance until we were sure what we wanted. This would all be worth it if even we got a civil relationship out of it.

Then my phone went off, and of course, Zack tried to beat me to it.. I saw Marie's name come over the screen, and his eyes locked mine.

"Are you serious?" He asked, staring at me.

We would find out sooner than later wouldn't we?

~**~

Marie's POV

"Why are you so happy?" Jackie asked as the three of us sat down to dinner, tapping her fingers on her wine glass.

"Can't a girl be happy?" I laughed, taking a sip of my own wine, waiting for dinner to finish cooking. Brian was in the living room with Tod, a guy Jackie knew and brought over to meet me, I had no idea he was coming. I had texted Matt, but apparently he was still talking with Zack because he hadn't responded.

"Well... you? It's weird." She laughed "What do you think of him? He's wicked nice, super great guy." She smiled, referring to Tod.

"I mean... ok? I don't know, Jackie." I shrugged, I didn't want to tell her, but I sure as hell didn't want to lead some guy one.

"Marie what the fuck?!" Brian's voice boomed as he stormed in to the kitchen "Stay there, Tod."

"What's up?" Jackie asked, eyeing Brian's phone in his hands.

"What's up? Why don't you ask Mrs. Sanders here what the fuck is up." He stared at me, his voice less angry than I anticipated.

"Uh... we're using her somewhat irrelevant last name?" Jackie asked as Brian handed her his phone. She read what was on the screen and stared at me "Excuse me? Is this true?!" She gaped, handing me Brian's phone.

No, Matt hadn't spilled to Zack, well that I knew of. No Matt hadn't told Brian. Apparently, our secret way of leaving counselling wasn't so.. well.. secret. There were pictures of Matt and I hugging while leaving the counselling building, and getting in to our own cars.

"What the fuck, what site is this?" I asked, rage filling my body.

"The fan club site, Johnny just sent it to me." Brian replied "What the fuck is going on?"

"That's a therapist building." Jackie pointed at the sign that clearly read marriage counselling across the building and listed doctor names outside. I sighed and gave Brian his phone back.

"We felt that we needed to get a few things out to be able to be... civil." I shrugged "I mean, we can't even be in the same room without one of us trying to spite the other, why not? It could at least help that."

"Marie!" Jackie groaned "I'm... I mean, yay you're gonna try to get along... but I don't want you miserable-"

Her words were cut off by Brian's phone ringing. He quickly picked it up "Zack, did you see it to-... Wait, what?" He asked, staring at me "That's... that's not what she just told us... hang on." He placed his hand over the phone "Matt's story is a little different MRS. SANDERS." He stared at me.

"Uh..." I stammered.

"Ok, well I'll call you later, I'm gonna tickle this out of her. Maybe he's telling the truth... probably... Ok go beat him up." Brian hung up and looked at me "I'm sorry but I have to." He wiggled his fingers in the air and advanced at me.

"We're going to marriage counselling because we want to work this out because I swear to God I can't live without that man and my nightmares are worse and worse every night not waking up to someone there with me, and" I took a deep breath as Brian and Jackie stared at me "We're going to start dating again, not being married right away, because we rushed in to that part way too fast and didn't build first."

"Wow...." Jackie nodded "I feel... I feel that's a good idea."

"Well now what?!" Brian yelled in a hushed voice "You gonna tell Tod out there that she's married?" Brian asked.

"I mean...." Jackie squinted, I think he heard you.

"Yah... I heard it all.." Tod stood in the doorway and shrugged "Good for you though, that's a good decision."

"Well!" I laughed "Now that we have cool guy Tod's opinion, can we have dinner now?" I asked, pointing at the oven, "It's done."

"YES!" Brian grabbed Tod's shoulders "You may not get to bang her tonight, but her food is so fucking good dude stay to eat."

I laughed at Brian's outburst but offered Tod a seat, couldn't hurt, and then Brian announced Zack and Matt were on their way over. Oh great, back to the old days... cool.