‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

5

*Matt's POV*

Jackie, Hannah, Brian, Zack, and I all sat in Marie's designated room for the next three hours. They got here a little while after us and got directed to the room. Hannah was a bawling mess, causing Jackie to cry, and all us guys were just trying to keep calm. I was already holding my own tears in. I didn't want to lose another person I loved. My wife.

I sighed and stood up, pacing the room just as the door opened. There was a loud noise and a bed was wheeled in and behind the curtains. I watched as Doctor Weston walked in. She walked up to me.

"IS she ok?" I asked.

"Well we stopped the bleeding. She still has that broken leg, head injuries, and fractured wrist." She tapped her clipboard "Other than that... she should be awake in a few minutes. Her voice'll be a little harsh, because of the amount of blood she choked out, and the tube that was in her throat. But give her this," She handed me a cup full of what looked like cough drops "She should have one every ten minutes, there's enough in there for a few hours, and she won't have trouble talking. We have her hooked up to a pain killer IV so she might be a little tired. We'll come check on her, and possibly move her to a regular room, in a little bit. Ok?"

I sighed, as did everyone else "So she's going to live?" I asked.

"Well... AS of right now? Yes." She smiled "If she shows any signs of intense pain, or anything starts bleeding, press the green button next to her bed and a nurse or doctor will be in within a minute. I have another patient... I'll be down the next floor if anything serious happens." She nodded to everyone and walked away. A small blonde haired nurse, that looked about Marie's age, pulled the curtains back and kept her eyes glued to the floor.

"Does she look bad? Is it bad?" Hannah asked into Zack's chest "I don't want to see her bad... Oh Marie.." She sobbed.

"She's fine." Zack whispered as he looked over, then he pressed Hannah back "Don't."

"She's a little roughed up." The nurse walked over to me "I'll go get her something to drink. Does she drink tea, do you know?" She asked.

"I should... But I don't.." I mumbled.

"Yes." Jackie piped up, keeping her eyes away from Marie's bed "Decafinated with some sugar."

"Alright, I'll see what I can do." She smiled and walked out of the room.

I walked over to Marie's bed and inspected her hands like I had only the day before. This time instead of dish-water pruned, they were scarred and cut up. Her nails were dirtier and the scar on her pinky was covered up by a bandage that went up her entire forearm. Her face was washed clean from all the blood from earlier, but her lips that had been so pink and bright yesterday, were dry and in a flat, lifeless line now. I felt someone next to me and looked up at Hannah.

"Here." She reached into her pocket and pulled out some chapstick "Her lips look dry." She uncapped it and handed it to me. I stared at it "If you don't put it on her, she'll wake up and split her lip." She moved and sat down on the other side of the bed, taking Jackie's unbandaged hand in her own. I gently pressed the moisturizing stick against her lips, moving it over them. I handed it back to Hannah and she smiled "It's gunna be ok kiddo, we're gunna take care of you."

Before I could say anything, or even blink, Marie's mouth twitched. Hannah's body stiffened "She... She... she..." Jackie ran over and sat next to Hannah "She moved."

Marie squinted her eyes and coughed a little. Her free hand moved from Hannah's and rubbed at her eyes. I grabbed one of the losenges and unwrapped it, placing it in her hand. Marie's eyes shot open and she looked around. Her mouth opened to talk but I cut her off.

"Take that." I pointed to her hand "Before you try to talk. Dr. Weston said it'd help. And listen to me." I gave her a look and she placed the small drop on her mouth. She sat there, staring at her feet for a minute before taking a deep, shaky breath.

"Thank you." Her voice was rough. She coughed and attempted to clear her throat "I'm sorry." Still hoarse.

"Don't be." I rubbed her leg "Just that you're alive."

"If I had just listened." She paused and coughed again.

"Stop talking dumbass." Zack walked over and sat at the bottom of her bed. Marie rolled her eyes and kicked him off, sending him to the floor.

"Even on my fuckin' death bed, I can knock you over Baker." She stuck her tongue out and coughed "God... What was in here?" She placed her finger on her throat "A fucking anaconda?" She stared at me for a moment "You wouldn't...?"

"No." Zack laughed "You had a breathing tube in your throat."

"Not his dick." Jackie wiped her eyes "Hun, you had us so scared." She hugged Marie gently "If you ever drive drunk again, I'll kill you."

Hannah smacked Jackie's arm "No I will."

Marie softly rolled her eyes.

"Why'd you use your maiden name?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

"Uhm..." Marie paused, biting on the bottom of her lip "Because? I don't remember giving them a name, actually."
♠ ♠ ♠
Shazam! last one of the night!