Shooting Stars and Satellites

Ruthless

I had roughly five minutes to say my goodbye to Gavin, which was still cut short by Kennedy dragging me away from him, after seeing our semi-make out session. I mumbled a ‘see you later’ to John and Roxie, as I knew they’d be stopping by the house, unlike Gavin. I pouted as my brother dragged me out into the parking lot, and to our mom’s 2009 silver Toyota Highlander. After jumping into the backseat, I purposefully slammed my door shut. It was childish, I knew that, but I was still upset, and at the moment, I didn’t care about much else. I knew my mother was going to give Kennedy and I a long lecture on the way home.

“Now, Alaska,” she started, turning the radio off, “your dad and I both agree that some sort of punishment needs to be put in place for this stunt.”

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. “What’s my punishment?”

“Well, it’s not that we’re saying you can’t ever go to another party again, because you’re a teenager, ‘Laska, it happens,” my father told me, making a left turn, “but, that doesn’t mean that you can go out and do whatever you want.”

My mom turned around in her seat, her body now facing me. “We’re grounding you for two weeks, Alaska.”

“Two weeks!?” I nearly shrieked. Kennedy laughed, and I kicked him with my leg, causing him to groan. “Mom! It’s the summer time! You can’t ground me for two weeks!”

My father sighed. “Now, Alaska, be reasonable. It’s just like you said; it’s the summer time, and giving up two weeks is nothing.”

I rolled my eyes and hit my back against the seat. “I can’t believe this.”

“And that punishment means Gavin is not allowed to come over; you’re to be off the phone by nine, and if you leave the house, your father and I must know exactly where you are going and who you are going with.”

Kennedy looked at me with a grin on his face. “Poor, poor Alaska.”

“Shut up, Kennedy,” I snarled.

He shrugged innocently and leaned back into his seat. I, on the other hand, placed my face in my hands and closed my eyes. I knew that the only reason Kenny was happy, was because for two weeks, my time with Gavin would be almost nonexistent. And while that brought him joy, it was enough to make my world come crashing down.

______________________________________________________________

“Alaksa Annabelle, get your ass downstairs!” Kennedy yelled at me for the umpteenth time this afternoon.

It was my second day of being on lockdown, and I hadn’t left my bed since returning home from the hospital. A part of me knew it was silly, but I was hoping that by isolating myself, my parents would let up; so far, my plan was failing. It was nearing one o’clock in the afternoon, and aside from showering, I had been in my bed all morning. Gavin and I had been texting on and off, but he had a job at a local auto repair shop, which delayed his replies.

“I’ll send in the enforcements!” he yelled.

I rolled my eyes. “Kennedy, just shut up already!”

“Suite yourself!”

I sighed and laid my right arm over my forehead, closing my eyes. The attic was getting unbearably hot, even with me wearing only a white tank top and short shorts. I glanced at my cell phone sitting on my nightstand, hoping for it to go off. No such luck.

“I am the enforcer!” a deep voice said, before a pair of hands slipped under me, picking me up.

I gasped and my eyes flickered open; I was in John’s arms. “Put me down!”

“No can do, madam. I’m under strict orders from the boss to get you down there,” he said, in a faux New York accent.

I couldn’t help but to laugh. “You’re such a dork, John. Why girls fawn over you, I’ll never know!”

He pretended to be hurt, as he carried me down the stairs. “That hurts, ‘Laska.”

I rolled my eyes. “Please. Like your ego is capable of being hurt.”

And just like that, a smirk adorned his lips; that damn smirk always got underneath my skin. “This is true.”

I scoffed as he set me on my feet, and flicked his forehead. “Can you say arrogant?”

“I prefer the term confident, love.”

“Whatever you say, JohnO.” I walked into the kitchen, just as Kennedy was taking a sip of his water bottle. When his eyes landed on me, he nearly spat the liquid out. “Goodness, Kenny, what’s your problem!?”

Those shorts!” he shrieked.

I looked down at my beige, yellow, red, green, and orange colored shorts, before looking back at him. “What? They’re comfy, and I love them.”

He rolled his eyes. “They’re too short, Alaska. Go change!”

I widened my eyes. “What? No way, Ken!”

“Alaska, the guys are coming over!” he said, pouting.

“And? They’re all like brothers to me. You have nothing to worry about, Kennedy,” I told him, patting the top of his head.

He sighed before looking over my shoulder at John; the two of them exchanging a look, I couldn’t quite decipher. I dismissed it and grabbed out my own water bottle from the fridge, before walking over to one of the cabinets, pulling out a Crystal Light ‘Natural Cherry Pomegranate On-the-Go’ packet. I ripped the top off, pouring the powder into my water.

“I’ve gotta go run a few errands before the guys show up, so I’m leaving Alaska in your care, John,” Kennedy said.

I turned to him. “Excuse me?”

“Well, with you being crippled and all, I need someone to stay here with you.”

I rolled my eyes, shaking the water bottle awkwardly with my left arm. “And so you have to leave me with him?”

“I resent that,” John said. I smiled and flicked him off. “I’m sorry, darlin’, but you are taken, I believe.”

Before I could say anything, Kennedy cut me off. “Look, it’ll only be for an hour or so, okay? Just don’t kill each other before I get back.”

I laughed. “No promises on that one, Ken.”

He rolled his eyes but smiled, before patting me on the back. “I’ll see you two in a little bit.”

“Bye!” both John and I called as Kennedy walked out of the door.

When the door was shut, John looked at me with an amusing smile on his face.

“What are you smiling at, O’Callaghan?” I asked, before taking a sip of my water.

“Kenny was right; those shorts are pretty short.”

I picked up an apple from the fruit bowl my mother kept on the island, and chucked it at him. “Keep your eyes off of my legs.”

He caught the apple and smirked. “Oh, it’s not your legs I’m watching.” He gave me a wink.

I gasped, feeling my cheeks set ablaze. I picked up an orange, holding it in the air. “Take it back!”

“Mmm, let me think that over … no, thanks.”

I threw it at his head, but he dodged. “You suck.”

He stuck his tongue out at me. “You just have a bad aim, Dove.”

“Dove?” I asked.

He nodded his head. “You heard me. Now,” he paused, looking out the backdoor, “it’s a gloomy day, for once, in Tempe; I think this calls for a good movie!”

I wanted to ask him where the hell ‘Dove’ came from, but I bit my tongue, and walked around the island, standing in front of him. “Only if I get to pick.”

He gave me a face. “As long as you don’t pick The Notebook, or A Walk to Remember, I’m fine with you picking.”

I laughed. “What’s wrong with those movies, John?”

“Girls always end up crying, and I don’t feel like dealing with that today,” he explained.

I nodded my head. “Good point.”

We walked into the living room, and I opened the case of DVD’s Kennedy and I had collected over the years. After sifting through a few, my eyes fell upon an old favorite of mine. I smiled and grabbed it. “How’s this?”

“The Breakfast Club?” he asked, quirking his eyebrows.

I placed my left hand on my hip. “It’s a classic, Johnny Boy. If you dislike this, I’m afraid you’ll have to leave.”

He laughed and waved his hands at me. “I didn’t say anything about not liking it, Dove. I love it, actually.”

I smiled and popped it into the DVD player. “You better love it.” I grabbed the remote from the TV stand and made my way over to the couch, where John was sitting. I sunk into the cozy cushion, and grabbed the dark brown afghan that was thrown over the back of the couch, wrapping it around me.

“Well, someone’s a bit selfish,” John said.

I looked at him. “What’re you talking about?"

“You didn’t even ask if I wanted any blanket,” he pointed out.

I laughed. “I’m sorry. Do you want some of the blanket, John?”

He smirked. “Why, I would love some.”

I rolled my eyes, but sprawled out the blanket, so it was covering over both of our laps. “There you go. Now, shut up and enjoy the movie.” I selected ‘play’ on the menu, and waited eagerly for the movie to start.

“Well, now I don’t know if I want to give you your gift.”

“What gift?” I asked, looking at him.

He smirked and pulled out a bag of Sour Patch Kids from behind him. “These.”

I gasped and reached for the bag, which he pulled back. “You can’t do that to me!”

He laughed. “I’ll give it to you if you ask nicely.”

I rolled my eyes. “Please, give me the Sour Patch Kids, John.”

He threw them into my lap. “You have to share, though, Dove.”

I quickly opened the bag, popping three gummies into my mouth. “If you’re going to call me Dove, I get to call you something in return.”

He smirked. “And what would that be?”

“I don’t know just yet, but I’ll figure it out.”

“If you say so.” He reached into the bag, pulling out a few gummies.

I chewed thoughtfully on the sour but sweet candy. I glanced at John from the corner of my left eye, noticing that he was focused intently on the television screen. The bangs of his sandy hair were hanging over his eyes, and his jaw was moving up and down profusely, chewing on the candy. He licked his lips, allowing a gloss to overtake them. I swallowed the gummies in my mouth rather harshly, as I continued to stare at John’s pink lips; they looked so soft, and kissable, and I imagined they tasted like sugar.

“Is there something on my face?” he asked suddenly, turning towards me.

I gazed into his incredible green orbs, noticing the sprinkle of light brown freckles that adorned his cheeks; I had never noticed them up until now. I could literally feel the oxygen leaving my lungs as we continued this ‘staring contest’; it was more I couldn’t look away, and he was simply just confused.

“You okay, Dove?” he asked.

I turned back to the TV screen, stuffing a handful of Sour Patch Kids into my mouth, trying to hide the blush that was creeping onto my cheeks. “I’m fine,” I mumbled through the candy.

What the hell was this boy doing to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
- Alaska

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING/COMMENTING/SUBSCRIBING! (: