Status: Contest entry; feedback appreciated.

A Great Source of Calamity

The Beginning

The Frabjous Day was, by all accounts, quite a victory in the eyes of the inhabitants of Underland.

There was much celebrating, from almost the moment that the Jabberwocky's head touched the cool, gray stone of the ground. Even before Alice had departed back up the rabbit hole, cheers rang out from every corner of Underland: from those trapped in Salazen Grum, from the Outlands where the Underland underground resistance was still strong, and especially in the White Queen's Marmoreal.

And while Mirana, the Queen to whom all the spoils of victory fell, was quite thrilled to have her crown back and to have Underland safe, she also felt as though it was the end of something. She did not know what that something was (it would take a consultation with Absolem and the Oraculum to be sure) but there was no doubt in her mind that there was the definite feeling of end lingering around her.

It was an unpleasant feeling to have pressing on her, to be sure. It had erupted the minute that the Jabberwocky's head fell, and as she watched Alice disappear into the air, the feeling only grew.

It couldn't be tolerated, so what to do? "Everyone," she began, smiling and keeping her hands aloft. Once someone had remarked that the way she seemed to glide everywhere had given Mirana an ethereal quality, and she had conducted her way as such ever since.

While a note from Mirana usually caught the attention of all near her, it took some time today though she would merely attribute this to everyone's intense excitement over the end of the Red Queen's reign. So she merely raised her light tone. "Everyone, I invite you all to Marmoreal to celebrate this wonderful Frabjous Day with me," she said, a smile lighting up her face.

There was a general cheer, and then a pair of stairs appeared next to Mirana's horse. She settled herself primly into the saddle before she gave a soft snap of the reins. Her horse shuddered a bit, and an intense feeling of guilt besieged Mirana. "Did I hurt you, darling?" she inquired, chewing on her lip nervously.

"No, Majesty," her horse declined, "I was just shivering."

"It is a bit cold," she agreed, "I'll have a warm blanket brought to your stable as soon as we return to Marmoreal."

"Many thanks, Highness," replied the white beast with a shake of its head.

She smiled and cast a glance over her shoulder at the large party that was following her lead back to her home. There were still cheers, and the Hatter was currently leading everyone in a rendition of "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Bat". It amused her to see that he wasn't even conscious that Chessur was wearing the beautiful hat that the Hatter so coveted.

"They cheer for you, Your Majesty," the horse pointed out.

With a wider smile, she countered, "I hope they cheer for Alice. It is a shame she is not here to see all the good she has done."

Even though the sun had taken its leave and given way to the luminescent moon, Marmoreal still gleamed with an intense brilliance. Often it seemed as though the castle had its own spot light turned upon it, and all white surfaces of it shone and glimmered. Marmoreal projected an air of lightness and happiness that Mirana tried her hardest to ensure never diminished.

Once all of the company was inside the walls of the white castle, the celebrating raged quite enjoyably for a good many hours. It carried on throughout the night and even into the hours of the early morning, though no one seemed to notice this and if they did it was not of concern. It was not until one of her ladies maids pointed out to Mirana that sleep could not be fought forever and that she would have much appropriating to do in Underland the next day that Mirana decided that she must take leave from the party in her ballroom.

The continuation of the celebration was allowed, for Mirana couldn't stand to see everyone else's fun end just because she had responsibilities to take care of the next day.

Yet before she retired completely, Mirana took a seat at the crystal vanity placed in her room and picked up the Oraculum, which had been delivered to her quarters earlier in the evening by one of her card soldiers who had previously served under her sister, the red Iracebeth.

Unrolling the scroll revealed to Mirana that the day was Pertubous Day, which had previously not existed. She guessed that the change in the Oraculum was due to Alice's conquest over Jabberwocky, and this news made her smile.

"What ever are you smiling for, Mirana?"

She looked around her nervously, for it was surprising to hear Iracebeth's voice when she had been very securely deposited in the Outlands. Mirana was quite sure of this.

Further investigation led Mirana to the discovery that Iracebeth was staring back at her through the looking glass on her vanity. "What are you doing, Iracebeth?" demanded Mirana in her slightly breathless tone.

"I am not disobeying your decree," Iracebeth snapped, "I have not left the Outlands to speak with you. And as queen, you surely can speak a word to me without needing punishment."

Mirana had to concur that this was the truth; she would not be punished for breaking the sentence that she had placed upon her sister's head. Besides, no one was around to know that she was speaking with Iracebeth. "What is it Iracebeth?" inquired she, feeling somewhat intriguied.

"How are you feeling, Mirana, now that you have your dear Underland back?" Iracebeth asked. She looked much too pleased as she continued on, "Do you feel safe? Do you feel loved? Do you feel like everything has become as it should?"

Mirana raised her chin, refusing to let Iracebeth see that she was being affected. Her older sister had always tried to chide Mirana into submission, dating back to when they were children and would play games of pretend in the gardens of their parent's castle. Iracebeth had always pointed out reasons to Mirana as to why she, Mirana, was not fit to play the hero of their games.

And Mirana had always believed her.

But not now. She couldn't possibly trust Iracebeth now. It simply could not be done, as Iracebeth had never shown any reason to be trustworthy. "I rejoice in knowing that the people of Underland are in danger no more," she replied. "Why are you even speaking with me, Iracebeth?" added Mirana in afterthought.

With a sly smile, Iracebeth countered, "Safe they are, but they don't thank you for it."

Mirana stood up. "I will hear no more of this," she decided as she clutched the Oraculum and began walking away from the looking glass. It should be noted that for the first time in years, Mirana did not float; she stomped quite forcefully.

"They all thank her, you know. They all love her. Alice."

She stopped walking and quite foolishly let Iracebeth's words take effect. "You did not slay the Jabberwocky," Iracebeth reminded her. "And they have no idea why. All they know is that you let them suffer for years."

"I will hear no more," repeated Mirana as she took two feeble steps.

"Fine," assented Iracebeth. "Hear no more of it. You and I both know that won't impede you from believing it, Mirana."

And as she stomped from her bedroom, Mirana did not seem like the bright, bubbly queen that everyone did indeed love, despite what Iracebeth had concocted to taunt her younger sister. As she threw the Oraculum to the ground in her closet and let a wave of sadness overcome her, Mirana did not feel like a queen at all. She felt like a child who had gotten into a mess so immense there was no way she would ever be able to rectify it.

All of the gratitude that she had previously felt for Alice had evaporated, and the more she thought of the lanky, scraggly haired child (really, there was no other way to describe her) that had left Underland indebted to her, a strange feeling blossomed in Mirana's chest: anger.