I Lay Here All Alone, Sweating All Your Blood

Brooklyn - I Climb.

I remember that fateful day 5 years ago, as if it were only yesterday. It was Friday, April 2, 2010, and I was in pain. So much pain, that I didn't have the strength to cry, or scream, or get help. The pain felt as if someone was carving a hole between my shoulder blades. It was the first of many days I was going to experience that pain, even though I didn't know it at the time.

I left my piano class and found a dark quiet room and went inside. The floor looked clean enough, so I pulled my shirt over my head and laid down with my bare back on the cool floor. I draped the shirt over my chest, just in case someone else happened to wander in this room too.

The cold of the floor helped the sharp pain I felt, but there was still a dull ache, like my back was hollow and needed to be filled. I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on something, anything really, but my mind was blank.

I stared at the fuzzy ceiling of my school, trying to find shapes. There was nothing. My mind wouldn't allow me to be creative. Everything just brought me back to the ache. It started to make me tired. I started to doze off, trying to escape it, when I heard the door slam open.

I couldn't move by that point. I didn't want to peel myself off the floor, because the cold was seeming to help. I turned My head to look at who walked through the door. To my relief it wasn't a teacher, it was some gang-banger from school, but I didn't care.

He walked over to where I was laying and sat beside me. I found it strange, but then again I was the one laying on the floor in only my bra and pants. He tilted his head at me, like he was concentrating on something, and I began to cry. I never cried in front of strangers, yet I felt completely comfortable with this boy.

The floor was no longer cold, so I turned to my side and curled up in a ball, crying. That was when he did it. He took the pain away. He put his hand on my back and rubbed right where it hurt, and it just went away.