Status: Runaways

We've Escaped

Koda

The breeze carries the soft scent of the stream. Dirt, mud, water, stone, salt, plankton. I breath in slowly, pushing the awful images from my mind. The trees branch pulls on my jeans as I adjust myself. My fingers trace over the delicate patterns of the tree.

I love to climb trees. The ground slowly getting smaller, danger turning into dots. And when your up there, you can see forever. The world looks real. As if a thin layer of screen it pulled off, leaving your eye naked to the realness of the world. Showing It's true beauty and cruelty.

"Well...." I sigh to myself. This was going to be the only thing I would miss. My big tree. The ancient oak, with low thick branches. It sorta leans to the left, as if trying to embrace the earth. I feel like a leopard when I climb it. The branches are thick, but get thinner as it reaches up into the tree. Right now I'm high, the branch dipping a little under my weight.

I lean against the tree, letting it cradle me. I pull up my hood and hug myself, watching the trees sway in the silent breeze. I pull out my ipod and make it as loud as it could go. This is how I would say good bye to my tree. My real home. The place that made me feel safe, as it does now. I let my hand slide over the rough surface, imprinting each line and crease in the bark. I reach and touch a green leaf, rubbing my fingers on it. It's soft, but....leafy. I grab another leaf and put it in my pocket, patting it.

After a few minutes, the world starts to fade, the music slowly getting quieter, until theirs nothing. I stare at nothing. I can see, but I can't. I can't see the bird that flies across the sky, or hear the music that blasts in my ear. I can't explain it, but it happens. I block out the world. I don't even blink. I just stare into space. People always think I'm looking at them, but I'm not. I can't help it. It just happens. It's how I deal with the pain. The only way to get me out is to scream my name, and physically touch me. Push, pinch, slap. Whatever works. I don't mind it. I like letting my mind zone out, wander through anything that lingers in my mind.

I let myself leave the world, and escape to my safe place. I run their, and hide. It's my only way of feeling real.