‹ Prequel: When Three Becomes Two

Requiem of Revenge

Chapter 1

Billie's PoV

I was driving to Mike's house that Friday night. It was time for that weekly...ritual, I suppose you'd call it, that I looked forward so much to every week. That rare golden moment where, for just a little while, I could forget the life I barely felt anymore and remember what things used to be like.

It wasn't long until I arrived, but as soon as I did, I just knew something was wrong. It was just a gut feeling that something was out of place, somewhere it shouldn't be.

The feeling frightened me.

Dashing up to the porch, I pounded as hard as I could on the door. As I dithered on the front step, I tried to calm myself down. Most likely it was just my mind acting up. After all, it had happened before. Right?

Suddenly the door flew open all at once, making me jump. Estelle stood there, staring at me. I could hardly blame her; I must have looked like a fool, as paranoid as a bank robber in a police station.

"Estelle? Can I come in?" I cursed myself for my slightly uneasy tone.

She surveyed me silently for a moment. "He's not here."

I felt my stomach sink in horror. My fears had been confirmed. "What?"

"My dad's gone. His cell phone, his bag, everything was still here when I got home from school...except for him. One of the windows is broken."

Eerie, how calm she was. It wasn't natural. But then again, Mike had always been the same way when he was panicked...

"Where's your mom, Estelle?"

"She...she was at work. But she got called out on an emergency buisness trip. She came back around noon to pack up. Dad wasn't here, but I guess she figured he was at lunch and didn't think to check if his things were still here.

"Mom won't be back until Monday. She knows what happened and so do the police...but they can't do anything without any evidence."

Evidently the extremeity of the situation hit her as she finished her sentence, and now she looked up at me in fear.

If anything, I should look around, I thought to myself.

"Can I come in?" I asked, gesturing past the threshold.

"I guess. There's not anything to see, though."

She was right. I'd looked at every square inch of the living room, but nothing was out of place. The window was broken--the glass was scattered everywhere. Standing in front of it, I noticed that the hole was just big enough for a man to slip through. But Mike would not have run away...There would have been someone else involved.

And, of course, there was only one person who would have any reason to kidnap Mike.

Marcus.

As I realized this, Estelle came to my side.

"Wait a minute. This wasn't here before..."

She stooped down, hands right in the center of the ocean of broken glass. As she turned to face me, I realized she held a small black object in her hand.

"It's a tape recording."

**************************
I'm sorry I didn't get this up earlier. My computer crashed on Thursday, and I only just got it back. Once Winter Break starts, I promise there'll be more updates.