‹ Prequel: When Three Becomes Two

Requiem of Revenge

Chapter 2

Mike's PoV

When I woke up, I was lying on a cold, hard surface that was slightly angled. It was completely black, except for a few square patchs of moonlight shining on scattered points of the ground. Looking up, I realized the light came from several windows.

I yelled in sudden pain, shattering the silence. When I'd twisted my neck upward, I'd reignited the firey pain on the back of my head--the wound I'd gotten when I was knocked out had burst open, and blood seared down my head. Grasping the back of my neck to soothe the ache, I remembered what had occured earlier.

Clearly, my kidnapper--if that's who they were--had stolen me away from home. But to where? My eyes beginning to adjust to the darkness, I took in my surroundings. The windows were too close, the walls too small, for me to be in a building or house. Boxes were stacked in every corner of the place, towering and looking shaky.

Fear began to set in as I realized what might happen to me. I had to get away. If I didn't...well, that was the mistake that got me here in the first place.

I stood up with care, knees trembling violently after being still for so long. How long had I been out? A day? A week? I had no way of knowing.

It was too dark to see the door leading out of this hellhole, so I found a wall and began to grope blindly, feeling up and down the rough concrete.

I recoiled in disgust after a few seconds. Something clingy and dry was stuck to my palm. Traveling to the center of the room under one of the windows, I realized what it was.

Cobwebs. They hung from my hand like gray sea urchins, dusty with years of age.

Grimacing again, I turned back to my wall. I searched it, but with no sucess. Was there a door at all? Was I truely trapped?

My heart increased in tempo, and I prayed that I would not have a panic attack. That was the last thing I needed...

I found a doorknob, drenched in more webbing but a doorknob nevertheless. Gasping in relief, I grabbed it with both hands and began to--

I heard heavy breathing just behind my neck.

Something seized my torso and slammed me to the ground with an incredible amount of force, my shoulderblades nearly shattering from the impact. The stranger was holding me down with one hand.

No!

A burst of energy roared through my veins suddenly, intensifying my will to get away. I thrashed and got back up, fighting away the clawlike vice, and made another dash for the door. There was a string of profanties coming from behind me.

The dark figure rose, and I heard thundering footsteps behind me. The pair of hands snatched at me wildly. Heart throbbing madly, I seized the doorknob again before my captor could seize me.

I felt a sharp jab in my left arm.

Against my will I collapsed on the rocky ground, holding my arm. First fire, then a cold, prickly feeling traveled from the site of the puncture, a fast-acting plague. I couldn't feel my arm anymore...

Shakily I pulled myself up again, and tried for my escape. The stranger's footsteps did not follow me.

It was no use. The feeling spread to my legs, and I fell on my knees to the floor. I still convulsed violently from shock.

"Paralyzing agent, Mike."

That face I hadn't seen in years leaned over me, swallowing up the nighttime light. The soft, hissing voice emating from it confirmed my fears of who it was.

"Don't worry, you're safe...for now. Your little friend will coming quite soon to find you, I'm sure."

Through gritted teeth I spat, "Marcus."

"Yes. We meet again."

I could barely move my mouth now. It was near impossible to speak.

"What're...you going to...do to me?"

That awful laugh resounded around the room.

"You're my ransom, Mike," the shadow whispered in my ear.